AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th October, 2004, 01:14 PM

8rda+ & PCI graphics

Hello,

I recently installed a Hercules Dynamite 128 PCI in a box with an EPoX 8rda+ (rev 1.1). As I'm sure a lot would guess it's having problems Before anyone says to get a different graphics card/this one sucks, I know that already; my old card died, and it's going to be a week before I get a new card shipped out. This is merely temporary until it does.

As for the issue - it boots up in 640x480 (though I can switch to 800x600)x16 in VGA. Under Device Manager the card has the error:
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"
No other device has errors, and there are no conflicts whatsoever (that I can see). IRQ for the card is on 12 (nothing else using it), I/O is C000-C0FF.

I have the card set in PCI slot 5. One of the (only) things that I can think of that might be why it isn't working is because it needs to be in the first couple slots, yet this is physically impossible due to a HS on the SB blocking access.

It would be great if anyone could help here. System is on Windows 2000. Things I've tried:
- Installed DX9.0c, nForce 4.27 Unified drivers, SP4 - no go
- Installed latest BIOS - no go
- Manually "forced" it to switch IRQ by setting the one it used to Reserved - no go
- Moved card to the slot directly above (the only other it can fit in) - no go
- Disabled various components - no go
- After several hours of searching read about the "Reset Configuration Data" option in BIOS helping someone with a similar issue. Rolled back BIOS 3 times (scared ****less each time) before finding one that included this option - no go

Might have missed one or two things. Only thing I haven't tried is using a different driver, but I'm convinced it's lower than that.
Old 10th October, 2004, 05:52 PM

On a related note, I just got around to trying another driver - the official NT driver to be specific. At least it did something different, now it gives:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Blargh, messing with old hardware sure is fun ... not.
Old 11th October, 2004, 12:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

I wouldn't have guessed it would have problems; I really would have thought it would install effortlessly.

If you aren't using them, I would disable both of the serial ports, and the parallel port.

If you are using a soundcard, make sure the game port for the onboard sound is also disabled.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2004, 08:43 PM

I had tried disabling virtually every onboard component but it still didn't work. No problem though, I just switched the card with an AGP GF2 MX and it worked flawlessly.