AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th October, 2004, 08:10 PM

Power value reporting

I am perplexed and wondering wtf is going on. This is what Sis Sandra tell me my power values are:

Voltage Sensor(s)
CPU Voltage : 1.58V - this varies from 1.53 to 1.61. It is set to 1.55 in the bios
Aux Voltage : 1.50V
+3.3V Voltage : 1.58V
+5V Voltage : 4.92V
+12V Voltage : 9.42V
-12V Voltage : -12.03V
-5V Voltage : -6.96V
Standby Voltage : 4.51V
Battery Voltage : 3.09V

These are the values from Everest:
Voltage Values:
CPU Core 2.99 V
CPU Aux 1.50 V
+3.3 V 1.60 V
+5 V 4.92 V
+12 V 9.92 V
+5 V Standby 4.51 V
VBAT Battery 3.09 V

This is what is in my system: no overclocking

Epox 8KDA3J, AMD64 2800+ stock HSF
MSI Radeon 9800Pro
1 WD 7200rpm HD 80gb
1 DVD Drive, just a reader
1 Floppy
5 80mm case fans on a bus as I am tring to get find the right combo for the sweatbox I live in.
Antec Smart Power 350w

So, I get the multi meter and stick in the probes:
Computer running:

I use a molex that is free and stick the probes in

DC Voltage = 11.9 yellow and black
DC Voltage = 5.0 Red and black
DC Voltage = 6.9 yellow and red

I unplug the DVD drive and test that molex and get the same numbers.

Should I be concerned about the values Sandra and Everest report?
Do those program pull the info from the motherboard and if so why do they not match the multimeter results on the 12v?
Old 11th October, 2004, 08:22 PM
EPoX Tech

Hate to be awful but would state to forget Sandra, I don't use everest. Use the version of USDM supplied with the board but please do remember these voltages are only the ones reported by the LPC Winbond chip. Best Voltages are read by DVM at the feed points on the board (usually MOSFETS or regulation spiders output legs). 8KDA3 series differs from many older boards and causes probs for such things as Sandra.

Is the system stable General Lee ?
Old 11th October, 2004, 08:55 PM

The system is stable with the exception of when I fold overnight. 9 times out of 10 it will lock my PC up. Dont know why yet.

Quote:
Best Voltages are read by DVM at the feed points on the board (usually MOSFETS or regulation spiders output legs)
Would I be wrong in to assume that if I get 11.9v out of a molex connector that the power going into the board is at that or better?

The USDM utility from the board doesnt show the 12V value. Here is the latest line from it:
10/11/2004 3:51:12 PM - System FAN:2766, CPU FAN:3068, Power FAN:2596, System Temp:39, CPU Temp:43, VCORE:1552, VAGP:1504, Chipset(V):1600, +5V:4941, VDIMM:2480, BATT:3088, 5VSB:5022, 1097524272

My biggest thing is I am trying to compare, probably jumping to conclusions or over-analyzing things. All and all things are ok with the PC but I saw that number on the 12v and started thinking....is that why my vid-card wont allow my system to boot if I flash it to XT? Is that a reason the temps are a tad high? I am prolly splitting hairs but it is my PC and want whats best for it.
Old 11th October, 2004, 08:57 PM
EPoX Tech

What is the rating on the 12V of that PSU in amperes ?
Old 11th October, 2004, 10:29 PM

The sticker on the side says 21A for +12V

It is a newer SL350. From what I have read and seen, Antec has started putting 21A on the 12V rail now.

edited:added the the model number and blerb

Last edited by GeneralLee; 11th October, 2004 at 11:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2004, 12:06 PM

SpeedFan tells me that the 12V is at 5.72V.
Is there any program that can tell me what the values are?

Quote:
Best Voltages are read by DVM at the feed points on the board (usually MOSFETS or regulation spiders output legs).
Do you mean where the power connector plugs into the board or some place else?
Old 13th October, 2004, 12:13 PM
EPoX Tech

Try to measure where the power is feeding components - 12V at CPU feed MOSFETS etc.
Old 13th October, 2004, 12:36 PM

I unplugged a fan and the plug on the mobo is putting out 11.9V.

One thing I remember now is that this is the second psu I have had. The first one went bad. Could it be that it took something with it on the board or messed something up? Or should I continue to get reading all over the board that I can.

Quote:
Try to measure where the power is feeding components - 12V at CPU feed MOSFETS etc.
Where on the baord might be abouts? Are they on the back of the board?
Old 15th October, 2004, 04:29 PM

So I went a started a support ticket at epox.com and have been in contact back and forth. They sent me the 10/7 beta bios to see if that clears up the values. The values are the same still.
The support person also said that it might be the CPU. Does the CPU have anything to do with the power values and or regulation of those?
Old 15th October, 2004, 04:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quite clearly the software (other than USDM) you've been using doesn't know how to read the onboard sensors. Whilst the monitoring chip might be common, there are a number of different ways of wiring it up, and it looks like SANDRA and others don't know how the sensor is wired up on your board. This is actually a remarkably common issue!

If you're seeing 11.9V on the board (such as the fan connector), then the 12V line is pretty much ok.
Old 15th October, 2004, 08:04 PM

Is there anyone reading this thread with an 8KDA3j rev 1 that can tell me what voltage values speedfan, sandra, etc.. are giving you?

thanks, if someone replies with the same or close to it I will feel a whole lot better, but untill then I continue to go over this issue. It may be nothing, problem is I cant enjoy my PC if I dont know if it is ok or not. i constantly look to see if something is wrong.
Old 15th October, 2004, 09:28 PM

here are a few numbers
Speedfan
Vcore 1.6v
12v 5.78v
3v 1.6v

Sandra 2004
cpu 3.06v
3.3v 1.6v
5v 5.05v
12v 10.28v

USDM
Vcore 1.576
Vagp 1.52
Chipset 1.6
+5v 5.076v
Old 16th October, 2004, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Quite clearly the software (other than USDM) you've been using doesn't know how to read the onboard sensors. Whilst the monitoring chip might be common, there are a number of different ways of wiring it up, and it looks like SANDRA and others don't know how the sensor is wired up on your board. This is actually a remarkably common issue!
I never did figure out to read 3.3V on my 8RDA+... the "customary" slot is actually chipset voltage...
Old 16th October, 2004, 06:14 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
The system is stable with the exception of when I fold overnight. 9 times out of 10 it will lock my PC up. Dont know why yet.
Are you sure your not running into a heat issue?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2004, 07:02 PM
AOA Staff

What if the system is left folding during the day time. Does it lock up then as well?
Old 16th October, 2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Are you sure your not running into a heat issue?
The highest I have ever seen the heat go is 60c under full load. Mostly it is in the mid 50s.

Quote:
What if the system is left folding during the day time. Does it lock up then as well?
I will try it.

I was thinking it was a heat issue and the good think about USDM is I can pull the log and see when it freezes and what are the values.

I live in florida. Ambient room temp is in the upper 70's sometimes higher. I am working on the heat reflective film for the rooms windows and shades. I can really feel the heat come in to the room but that is during the day. At night the temp goes down and the idle temp of the CPU is 37-39c.
I use the stock hsf but have arctic silver 5 on. The original thermal substance was removed and clean off as well as I could. I applied AS5 and the temps were the same for days. I removed the hsf to check the coverage and it was good. I reapplied and my temps are:
idle 37-43c - because I am experimenting with fans and air flow in my case
load 54-60c - same experiment of fans
Old 17th October, 2004, 08:45 PM

I have been folding since this morning and not freeze ups yet. It is now 3:45pm. 9 hours straight.

One think I know is different is that I have it in the tray. When I run it overnight, I seem to remember I have the display on.
Old 19th October, 2004, 12:05 PM

Been folding non-stop with it in the tray, no freezes.
I will try leaving it display the graphic and see what happens today.

Also, I informed epox of this thread and another I found at Anandtech. 2 other people report the same values as I do. i told them I dont know what this means but they asked for me to keep them informed. Here are the last reponses I got from them, I am in bold.

-Customer reply 10/14/2004 4:56:28 PM-
I do not have another system to try it out on. I bought the cpu and motherboard together and it replace my old system which I do not have anymore. So, it is the CPU that reports the voltage or sets the voltage and not the board?

-Support reply 10/15/2004 8:56:17 AM-
Yes, the processor will product the voltage output to the board. Thanks

-Customer reply 10/15/2004 1:51:25 PM-
here is a message board thread with a guy who is getting the same voltage values I am.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1381606

I am just trying to find out all the info I can. Thank you for your quick responses.

-Support reply 10/15/2004 2:13:02 PM-
Will look into this issue and get back to you. But for now stay put and keep us posted. Thanks

-Customer reply 10/16/2004 5:06:04 AM-
Thnx,
Here is another thread I started in an attempt to find out more info. Another guy has the same values as well. Oldjim's values are identical to mine for the most part. http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...388#post274388

-Support reply 10/18/2004 10:00:03 AM-
If this is the cause have the baord and CPU RMA for best result. Thanks

I dont want to RMA the parts if this is just a glitch in the software used to report these values. With Oldjim and the user in the other forum having the same values, I am leaning towards just keeping the board.
If someone else has the board and reports accurate values then of course it goes back.
Old 28th October, 2004, 08:21 PM

I have the exact same problem with nearly the same values on my 9NDA3+ w/ 420w Enlight PSU. Something just isn't right here. Speedfan, Everest and USDM are all completely different from each other, and all of them show a low 12v rail .... Grrrrrr.... USDM doesn't even show a 12v reading.

Oh yea, and I don't have any heat issues or lockups. This looks to be a problem, EPOX. Great board otherwise.
Old 29th October, 2004, 05:40 AM

Testing your PSU with a multimeter!

ATX power connector: 12V, 5V and 3.3V

or use a Molex connector [12V and +5V] and Aux connector for [3.3V]

Useful Link:

http://www.oc-hades.com/content.php?article.6



Last edited by aJ\/Tg; 29th October, 2004 at 05:51 AM.