AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February, 2002, 03:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to kricys

8KHA+ and sudden reboots

Okay, here is my issue that is causing great stress...

First, the specs:

EPoX 8KHA+ mobo
Apollo VA-300BA-T 300W PS (AMD Recommended)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
512 MB PC2100 DDR Kingston RAM
LeadTek WinFast Titanium 200 TDH 128 MB AGP Card (GeForce 3 Ti 200)
(2) Maxtor 40 gig ATA-100 Drives
Linksys LNE100TX Ver 2.0 PCI NIC
Windows XP Professional
Current BIOS Revision: 8khi2116
Video Driver: Leadtek XP NVIDIA 2.1.8.3 (9/14/2001)
VIA 4in1 Drivers Rev. 4.37
VIA AGP 4x/133 Driver Ver. 1.00.000

Issue:

While attempting to play games (seems like this only occurs during Open GL based games), my machine suddenly reboots. I disabled the Auto-reboot feature in XP to see if I could get a blue screen of animosity with info, but nothing appears - it still reboots. XP does not even know it rebooted.

No overclocking of any sort has been done. I have reset the CMOS to a default config and this issue occurs.

This does not happen right off the bat (except when I attempt to play a demo w/ Serious Sam). I can play Battle Realms right up to the point of the first major battle, then it reboots. All games have been set to High, Normal & Low detail w/ the same result.

It's not the card, because I had an Asus 7100 Pro in the system before and the same problem occured. I upgraded to the Leadtek thinking the card was the problem. I have also tried the cards in my other system, and they do not cause a reboot.

I have tried both the drivers that have came with the AGP cards & the NVIDIA Detonator XP drivers (21.83 & 23.11). Same result.

The BIOS was 8khib02 when I got the board. I then updated it to the 8khi2108 and have recently updated to the 8khi2116 (the last two updates from this forum).

I reinstalled (clean install) XP after the first BIOS update I did. I have removed all other cards in my system.

I have sent (2) emails to EPoX tech support and they have gone unanswered.

I really need help resolving this issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by kricys; 9th February, 2002 at 09:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2002, 08:35 AM
EPoX Tech

Please do note that your PSU is not recommended by AMD at http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...9^1053,00.html for the XP1800+ processor - this is more than likely to be the cause of this issue in a system with such a graphics card and two HD's.

With reference to your e-mails - where were they sent and in what name ?
Old 3rd February, 2002, 07:29 PM

I sent the first e-mail regarding this to support@epox.com. The second e-mail was sent using the Service Desk form from EPoX's website. The first one was sent using the e-mail address listed in my profile here "kricys@yahoo.com". The second had my personal e-mail addy (which I won't give out here). If you need it, fire of an e-mail to my yahoo account and I'll reply with it.

Following your suggestion, I will purchase a "AMD Recommended" PS as listed from AMD's website - although the Apollo one I have has "AMD Recommedned" written on the packaging.

I will post an update once I get the new PS and let you know if the rebooting stops.

Thanks for the immediate response.

- Kricys
Old 9th February, 2002, 04:50 AM

Finally, an update....

Today I received an Antec Smart Power 400W ATX PSU (V 2.03 Certified) to replace the crappy Apollo 300W.

Since I have installed, there have been no sudden reboots while in-game. I can play Battle Realms w/o issue.

Woohoo!!

Thansk to everyone, especially to the resident EPoX guru.

And now, I start the on the path of overclocking

- Kricys