AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st November, 2004, 02:47 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Dying 8rgmi

I thought I'd try here before RMAing my board. It has worked fine for many many months... About a week ago, I installed SW-KOTR. My son has been playing it without a hitch. It worked on low settings fine... It's also been folding no problem. Today, my son freaked because it reboot on him when he tried to load the game.

OK.. It's been running hot, so I open it up, it has a lot of dust, especially near fans, and the HS. I clean it out, replace the AS3, and the CPU temp dropped 8c. I try to go into the game... reboot again. It folds fine, just won't run the game. I putz around, replace the memory with higher end memory.... try a 450w PSU instead of the dinky mATX, no change. I update the video driver, even uninstalled SP2, still reboots on the game. With the SP2 rollback, I had DX8.1, so I tried sisoft, no problem, still folding, no problem. I try 3d mark.... Bang, reboot. OK, I'm running FSB at 185. Memtest, no errors, sisoft burn in, no errors. I try underclocking fsb (even down to 133).... same reboot on KOTR.

I also flashed to the latest bios (7/29/04)...

I wanna blame the mobo, but I resist. I decide to bite the bullet, and try reformatting.... No dice, I can't get the dang thing to boot off the WinXP CD consistently... I does 1 in 10 times, but then crashes. I forgot. I run it 24/7, but once in a blue moon, when I boot it up, it won't, and I used to have to power it off, and retry a couple of times before it would kick in.

I don't think it is the CPU, I've underclocked, and run very cool. I don't think it is the memory, I've swapped it out with memory that runs 220 DC, and only tried 185 and down on this mobo... It can't even be the cheasy mATX PSU, since I get the same results out of a 450w unit.

Any suggestions before I RMA w/ Newegg?

EDIT: aside from a little dust, no visual damage. no blown or leaky caps, no scortch marks or other signs of damage. I've run this board slightly overclocked, and never ran AGP or NB over stock voltage. CPU never run over 1.725v and memory up to 1.63v. In a small box, I really babied this board. It has good oc features too, so I don't want to return it.

EDIT2: Crud... I wasted 4 hours today on this... I could build 2 systems from the ground up in that time. BTW, I've been using the onboard vid. Sticking in an AGP card is not an option since it doen't want to boot off CD anymore, and just locks up when it sees an install CD.

Last edited by SteveI; 1st November, 2004 at 02:54 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2004, 04:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Bump.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2004, 04:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Sounds to me like your North Bridge may be borked. Much as I hate to say it, it sounds like time for an RMA.

Can you boot to floppy and run MemTest?
Old 2nd November, 2004, 12:49 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Sounds to me like your North Bridge may be borked. Much as I hate to say it, it sounds like time for an RMA.

Can you boot to floppy and run MemTest?
Multiple times.... passed with flying colors. I have to bite the bullet and pull the mobo out. It is mATX, in a tiny little case, so I have to basically dismantle the whole thing to get it out.
Old 2nd November, 2004, 05:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hmmm...........well, that tends to rule out the NB theory, then. Could be the video, though.

Have you tried running anything else that would be video intensive, like maybe 3DMark?
Old 3rd November, 2004, 12:27 AM

Try putting a better active sink on your NB.

I replaced the stock one on mine with a nicely lapped sink with 50mm fan.

I ran a stable 209FSB using the IGP before putting in an AGP card.

My mosfets & voltage regulator ran hot even at stock FSBs & voltages so I put sinks and a fan on them as well.

4 monthes now @2.2Ghz cool & stable.

Regards, Szandor
Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:10 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks for the suggestion, but since, I am not souping up the NB for video, I'll pass on the mod. I have a SF2 + SK-7. The fan was blowing at 3500rpm, and hanging over the passive northbridge. Running the FSB at a reasonable speed, and no voltage bump, the extra air flow should have been enough. I think the video is dying.

@Giz: 3dmark01 also caused the reset. I'm going to request the rma tonight... I'll be gone this weekend, so I'll take my time on taking it apart. Since they no longer carry this model, I will most likely be forced to take the 8rgm3i, which does not have oc options.