AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 5th February, 2002, 03:41 PM

8KHA+ bios and start up Freezes

I have a strange occurence with start up on my mobo. Occasionally it will simply freeze at some point be it loading the bios or going to start windows. It also occurs when I enter the bios on occasion, I can almost always freeze it with under the pc health tab. This only occurs at start up never in the OS enviroment. I have swapped ram, video cards but these are not the problem. I am using the Jan 15 Bios and have flashed three times since I got the board so it is not a bios problem. I have seen some people who have had a similar problem and there is an article at bit tech that builds a power delay so that the psu has time to get enough power to the system, but I don't think this is the problem because when I have tried overclocking it happens more often. I can overclock the FSB to 143 and go into windows no problem so it is not specific to memory. ............oh and for some reason when I overclock over 149 the bios loads but then I get a nonsystem disk no OS error, (different prob?)

I am running

Athlon 1700+
crucial 256mb cs 2
IBM deskstar 60gxp 40Gb
Pioneer 16x dvd
Prophet 4500
Game Theater Xp

Any ideas?

Thanxs

Bob Hackitt
Old 5th February, 2002, 09:45 PM

Question

The main hardware that will cause any problems with posting is the cpu, vid card, and memory. If you are reasonally sure these are seated properly etc. I would recommend flashing the bios to the 11/2/01 bios. Even if you already have this bios, it could be corrupted somewhere.

If this does not fix your problem. I would suggest RMA and get a new board, since this is usually caused by a bios problem, it can be the chip as well as the file itself.

If the mobo is not working as you want, get a new one, chances are that the replacement will be good.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th February, 2002, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the advice,

I know it is all seated properly because the system runs quite solid (this is mostly just a startup annoyance not a real problem), it isn't the ram for sure because I tried two different kinds, vid card could be a possible reason, or the cpu, as far as the bios I have used three different ones and they all work but this problem is still evident, could possibly be the bios chip......hmm I'll wait to hear from Epox on their input in the matter
Old 6th February, 2002, 08:02 PM

Question

Bob:::This startup and restart is a common problem with some of these mobo's. It is caused by a bad bios chip, Epox will send a new bios chip to you if you will e-mail them and ask. I had the same problem and did not want a new mobo, the one I have is a very good one. Epox sent the bios chip to me, I installed it and I have one of the most stable 8KHA+ systems ever. Never a problem one.

If you don't feel comfortable in performing this chip replacement, RMA the board and get one that is problem free. It is "not" the bios file. The fault is in some of the bios chips they used from a certain supplier. If you decide to change out the chip, you will need to go to your local Radio Shack and purchase a PLCC chip puller $10.00, Epox will not charge you for the chip, they ask that you return the old bios chip back to them. So for $10.00 you can have a system that is trouble free.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th February, 2002, 09:23 PM

Cool thanks I'll do that I know where to get the chip pliers you refer to I'll request a new chip from them!