AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th December, 2004, 03:29 AM

Epox 8rda3+ problems

Epox 8rda3+ rev. 3.1 - AMD 2600 mobile - Geil gold Dragon 2 x 265 DDR 433 PC3500 - Maxtor 40 MB IDE 133 - P/S TTGI 550 W - H/S Thermalright SP-97 W/ 2 x 120 fans. The settings are 12.5 x 180 , ( cpu =1.775v agp = 1.7v dimm 2.9v vdd = 1.8v ) The pc health readings ( VDD = 1.79v VCORE = 1.74v VDIMM = 2.81v +5V = 4.99 + 12V = 11.24 -5 = -4.69 VBAT = 3.16 5USB = 4.96 ) Memory timings are - aggressive, 11, 3, 3, 2.5 . Chip temp is 39c - 41c . When I surf the web the computer is fine but when I play Sof2 the computer shuts down completly (No blue screen). Is this a settings issue, a bad mother problem or somethinf else?

Last edited by RickDe; 15th December, 2004 at 03:46 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2004, 05:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Do you get any warning beeps or anything like that?

Have you taken your voltage readings with a volt meter? I'm suspicious of your 12v supply, as it is a bit low, but if these readings are from the on-board sensors using USDM or MBM5 or something like that, then they are automatically suspect for accuracy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2004, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to bypolar

Looks like you need a little help here your settings are all messed up.

1.79Vcore for 2250 MHz is a Tad high.
180FSB for PC3500 is a tad Low.

What you need to do is go into the bios and Load Failsafe defaults then load Optimal defaults then reboot. Then enter the bios again and set the FSB to 200 and the multiplyer to 11. Set vcore to 1.65V and Vdimm to 2.6. Leave the VDD at default. put the 2-256 sticks of ram in slots 1,3.(make sure you unplug the system before moving the ram)

These are a good starting point and once you get the system stable on these setting we can go up from there.
Old 18th December, 2004, 01:50 AM

My FSB settings are 12 x 180 not 12.5, this seems to be the only setting that boots to windows. The ram is installed in the 1 and 3 slots. Here is some info I found on memory timings http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...hreadid=237991

Last edited by RickDe; 18th December, 2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 23rd December, 2004, 01:31 PM

I have downloaded the Motherboard monitor 5 program. The 12v readings are 11.19 to 11.25, 3.3 = 2.78 to 2.86. Previous numbers were from the bios.
Old 23rd December, 2004, 04:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The only problem with your readings is that they still come from the onboard sensors. So, in effect, MBM5 is giving you the same sensor readings that the BIOS is giving you, without any of the wackiness that the BIOS may be inserting into the readings.

You really need to get a real live, honest-to-god, handheld voltmeter and check your voltages. The fact that they are reading low has me suspicious, but I'm not going to tell you that I think your PSU is wack without better data.
Old 24th December, 2004, 06:52 AM

Thanks Gizmo, Where do i need to test the voltage, somewhere on the board or the MB plug from the power supply? Thanks
Old 24th December, 2004, 02:33 PM

The 2.8* reading for your 3.3V line is actually your VDimm. I would suggest testing the voltage from a molex plug - yellow is +12V, black is ground.
Old 24th December, 2004, 04:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

PSU Wire color code (for most ATX connectors):

Code:
Orange |+3.3     |+3.135 - +3.435|
Blue   |-12      |-11.4  -  -12.6|
White  |-5       |-4.75  -  -5.25|
Violet |+5vsb    |+4.5   -   +5.5|
Black  |common   |      n/a      |
All measurements are taken relative to common. Find one of these wires and stick the negative (-, or black) probe on it. Then use the other probe for checking the voltages. Your Vcore and Vdimm can also be checked with a meter, but where you check them varies from board to board, and if you aren't very careful, you can kill your board while trying to measure them. Fortunately, if you can get us accurate measurements on the stuff listed above, we should be able to work out the offset for your particular system an make a good guess about the voltage of the Vcore and Vdimm.

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th December, 2004 at 04:33 PM.