AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th December, 2004, 05:09 PM

8KDA3+ and Maxtor SATA drives

Hi-
I just got an EPoX 8KDA3+ motherboard, and two 300 GB Maxtor SATA drives from New Egg. I hooked them up to the SiL SATA controller (which has better Linux support), and started installing Fedora Core 3. Until... the installer hung. Examining the logs revealed I/O errors while writing to one of the disks.

So, I ran PowerMax, Maxtor's diagnostic tool, and it reported that both drives are "failing". Keep in mind they're brand new drives.

Are they bad drives, or could there be an incompatibility between Maxtor drives and the 8KDA3+ motherboard?

Thanks,
--Quentin
Old 19th December, 2004, 06:46 PM
Member/Contributer

are you overclocked? and have you locked the pci/agp bus if so?

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2004, 10:41 PM

I am running a single maxtor plus 9 160gb sata drive on the Nvidia controller without any problems.
Try putting the drives on this and running a check.
Old 21st December, 2004, 03:56 PM

Maybe I have the same problem. I think there are some problems with the USB on backpanel. Try to use PS2 keyboard and mouse or use the 4 extra USB. SIL controller and the 4 USB on backpanel use the same INT as you can see in your manual.
Old 21st December, 2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedon
Maybe I have the same problem. I think there are some problems with the USB on backpanel. Try to use PS2 keyboard and mouse or use the 4 extra USB. SIL controller and the 4 USB on backpanel use the same INT as you can see in your manual.
hmm, I didnt know that, I have two devices in the back USB, a printer and a gamepad controller, and im using the sil sata controller, and i havent had any problems. Maybe since the infrequent use of the printer/gamepad. I dunno.
Antec SX1040II Case + 400W PSU
Asus FX5700 Video (piece of crap)
120 gig seagate sata hd
80 gig wd pata hd
NEC 2510A DVDRW
LG 40x cdrw
Gentoo 2004.2 x86_64
Win XP to play games.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!