AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st January, 2005, 08:56 AM

Unusual cold boot issue

Hi guys, great forum.

Anyways I am having a strange issue with my Epox 9nda3+ mobo with winchester 3200 and an Antec Truepower 550 PS.

I am able to O'C my system to 9 x 275 and run it Prime for 12 hours. However whenever I cold boot, the system does not boot up and I have to go into BIOS to start it up at 9 x 275.

But get this, when I power down and then switch off the power supply from the back to turn off any power going thru the system, then switch back the switch to ON, it cold boots.

It doesn't cold boot however when I leave the power switch in the ON position but does when I leave the Power Supply switch OFF then turn it back on to start the PC.

What's going on???
Old 1st January, 2005, 09:14 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Hey and welcome to the forums!! I had the same thing once. Turns out it was the PS.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2005, 10:03 AM

Wow thanks for the prompt reply!!

So it's the power supply?

I have a Antec Truepower 550 I believe. Why is it doing it?

So what's a good Power supply to use for the Epox board?

I was thinking about this, opinions anyone?
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r...Connect_1.html

BTW what was your power supply that did it to you?

Last edited by dragoninxs; 1st January, 2005 at 10:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2005, 07:07 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

It was sooo long ago I don't remember. Honestly I rarely use HIGH END power supplies. (yeah yeah could have been the prob with the abit on the girls box) but....... rarely do I have a prob with them. If I do, I just swapped them with a spare that I have.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 1st January, 2005, 08:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

I have exacly the same problem... If the power has been switched off at the wall as soon as i try to boot up the system hangs, as soon as i press the reset button it boots up fine... but if the mobos been on standby the system starts every time... i posted a similar thread and 99.99% of the time its the PSU. R
Old 2nd January, 2005, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
I have exacly the same problem... If the power has been switched off at the wall as soon as i try to boot up the system hangs, as soon as i press the reset button it boots up fine... but if the mobos been on standby the system starts every time... i posted a similar thread and 99.99% of the time its the PSU. R
That's funny because that's the opposite of my situation. When the power has been switch off at the wall, I can boot up, but if the power at the wall is on and the PC is in standby mode, it won't boot up.

WEIRD

Anyways I ordered a new PS, the modular kind Ultra X-Connect 500, hope that fixes the issue. I guess I'll sell the Antec Truepower 550.
Old 2nd January, 2005, 09:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoninxs
Anyways I ordered a new PS, the modular kind Ultra X-Connect 500.
Nice, thats supposed to be a great PSU, id love one but cant get hold of them in the UK without selling a kidney. Hope it serve you well. Welcome to AOA, hope to see you round. R
Old 2nd January, 2005, 11:52 PM

I suppose the psu is a common culprit but ...

Over the years I've had a few cold boot problems , at I first blamed the board but later found other components caused it . Last cold boot problem I had , a video card was causing it , upgraded to a different vid card and have not had the cold boot problem since . So you never know what is causing it until you find it .
Old 3rd January, 2005, 04:07 AM

Why not check that Antec with a voltmeter, it may have been a rare incidence but I got a bad one last year. Right now I'm running a TruePower 430 on my 9NDA3+/6800GTS/4 drives/8 fans without issues.

But most cold boot issues are power related. Un-plug your drives and see if that helps the board to at least post.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 6th January, 2005, 10:34 AM

Well I installed the new Power supply, and it's still happening.

I guess I'm going to RMA the motherboard and use my MSI Neo2. I had such high hopes for this board, oh well...

BTW I am using TCCD Samsung RAM from PQI, so I don't think that should be the culprit.

I also have a Gigabyte 6800GT.
Old 7th January, 2005, 04:29 AM

Sorry to hear that, I'm having a V.V. good time with my 9NDA3+, been running everything on it while overclocked to 266x10/221 (got Value Select ram) but my Sandra memory bandwidth scores are outrageously high, like 6711/6653.

I strongly suggest you RMA the board for the same replacement, it's hearsay that the new boards are the next version and have no LAN issues.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 22nd January, 2005, 08:58 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

try replacing the cmos battery as well. I have had the same issue with ALOT of Asus mobo's. and every time upon replacing the battery, the problem was solved.