AOA AOA AOA Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2005, 03:42 PM

C1 error!! What is this?!

Hey guys, first of all i have an epox 8kha+

I have an AXP1800+ Tbred on it. last month i had 2x256mb ddram pc2100 but one of the rams stopped working out of nowhere! so i continued using my pc normally, only with 256mb ddr and no overclock...

today suddenly my pc freezes (the temp was normal, 43°C) and when i presses the reset button the motherboard was beeping with a "C1" error. The manual says it's related to memory...strange, its the second memory i've apparently lost!

i haven't tested other memories yet cuz i don't have em here...but is there any chance the problem is something else?

oh and the computer doesn't even show the bios screen, the monitor never lights up...

help me please!!!!!!
Old 11th January, 2005, 05:13 PM

Check your capacitors for leaks and bulging tops.....the 8kha+ is loaded with GSC caps, well known for early failure.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2005, 09:46 AM

I've got about 4+ burst capicitors,nice and crusty brown lol .
Does it have any great effect on the computer?
Old 12th January, 2005, 11:24 AM

alright, this is what i have...

i cleared CMOS but it didn't help, the computer still won't boot and beeps with a C1 error...

i'm not an expert but i think i found the leaking capacitors...i took a picture, see if it really is a leaking cap:
http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/brunobm/cpu.html
(the pictures are large)
if it is a leaking cap i think i'm in trouble...i found 8 of them!
oh, and in case anyone needs to know, my motherboard is 3 years old.

i'm now going to test my two ddr memories that supposedly no longer work in another computer.

but how do i solve my problem if it is the capacitor?? i mean, i'm no expert...if the problem is a worn out memory i could buy a new one, but considering that two broke in a month i think there's something else to it...

please help!!!
Old 12th January, 2005, 12:15 PM

Don't be to sure it's the capacitors, as i have about 4-6+ blown aswell and my comp runs fine, albeit I'll never be truly sure if it could run a bit faster but still, no problems with it so far.
Old 12th January, 2005, 12:27 PM

what else could it be then?!!
the mobo accuses a memory failure, yet my DDRs work fine (just tested them in another computer)!!

what else could be wrong? please answer me quickly cuz if the problem is the capacitors i'll buy a new mobo. i have to buy it and install it before the 25th, when i'll be travelling for 6 months cuz i have to make my pc work for my family...
Old 12th January, 2005, 12:31 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I'd have sent that mobo in for repair a couple of days ago...those caps are not looking too healthy. Could just be that they are the root of your problem.
Old 12th January, 2005, 04:38 PM

well, what i'm trying to ask is:

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?

cuz if its the caps i'll buy a new board...much less trouble, safety, and an excuse for a little upgrade
Old 12th January, 2005, 05:53 PM

Ok!, its the caps then....... and thats really obvious......

My 8RDA+ didnt have such graphic evidence of leaking, bursting (GSC) but I replaced them anyway because after a year and a half I couldnt get a 205 fsb on a board that did 234 right out of the box and after cap replacement it now does up to 239 without breaking a sweat.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda

Last edited by bETAbILLY; 12th January, 2005 at 09:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2005, 02:24 PM

i sent my motherboard to a place where they fix it, told em about the apparent problems with the caps and about the memory warning...

the deadline finishied and they still haven't fixed my board...they changed the caps and said it still doesn't work!

what else could the problem be?
Old 17th January, 2005, 09:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Might have taken out your North Bridge.
Old 18th January, 2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Might have taken out your North Bridge.
huh??

what do u mean?
Old 18th January, 2005, 10:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Your North Bridge contains all of the logic to interface to your RAM. It controls the addressing and such. It is possible that the bulging capacitors allowed enough unregulated voltage through the system that it damaged the North Bridge itself. At that point, replacing the bulging capacitors would not restore the system to working order.

Note that I am not saying this is what happened. Since I don't have the board in front of me where I can put a 'scope on it, I really have no idea. I'm just saying that it is a possibility. Although it is rare for something like this to occur, it DOES happen.