AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2005, 12:35 AM

Unhappy Capacitor problems

¤first post so be gentle¤
I am not sure how many of you have had this problem with your Epox 8Kha+ Mother boards. But I've got buldging caps.
I've read the values and I am a compitent enough solderer but I have some Q's.
Does it matter what kind of capacitor I replace them with as long as the value is the same?? IE 10V 2200uF??
Or does the value not even matter so much as long as the voltage is the same??

I figure if I have to replace 14 caps I might as well replace them with something trully awesome.

I would prefer to replace them with something with a heat tolerance of atleast 105C and perhaps double the capacitance value.
Old 15th January, 2005, 11:29 AM

Suggest you do a search on this forum which has numerous posts going into great detail on it.
http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Old 15th January, 2005, 01:26 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The capacitors you replace them with MUST be "Low ESR" type. You might find it hard to get ones that are double the capacitance and still fit in place!
Old 15th January, 2005, 04:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In addition to what Áedán said, some regulators will begin oscillating out of control if you put too much capacitance on the output. This is known as 'hunting' and is caused by the excess capacitance messing up the feedback loop.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2005, 07:10 PM

In other words don't upgrade just fix it?
What Does ESR mean?? Here in Finland translation can get complicated.

Last edited by Icanclimbthat; 15th January, 2005 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added another question :)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2005, 08:16 PM

"The quality of low ESR capacitor (Low Equivalent Series Resistance) during high frequency operation is very important for the stability of CPU power. The idea of where to put these capacitors is another know-how that requires experience and detail calculation."

Well that answers one question. But can anyone give me a Digikey part number to work off of. I need to explain what I want to a person that speaks no english. Part numbers are a universal geek language.
Old 16th January, 2005, 03:33 AM

We're currently replacing capacitors for 40 boards at our work. We got ours from Digikey. We narrowed ours down (using "Part Search" page) using the Electrolytic capacitors. I found that if you apply 1 filter at a time, it works best. If I put in all features, it won't return anything. We replaced our with the exact same type, and so far we are 5/5 boards working again.
Old 16th January, 2005, 10:16 AM

I have the GSC caps(the famous green with gold strip) on my board. I have no intention of throwing that dishonest company even a penny of cash. So it looks like I will be going with the Panasonic FM series caps. Either the P12357-ND or the P12735-ND Those are both 10 volts but 2200uF and 3300uf respectively.
Old 16th January, 2005, 03:04 PM

Make sure the physical dimensions are the same!

In general, you want to keep the same capacitance - "upgrading" to a higher voltage rating can't hurt, but it still needs to fit on the board.
Old 16th January, 2005, 04:58 PM
EPoX Tech

Changing the voltage will hurt - increasinf the rating in micro farads won't
Old 17th January, 2005, 03:08 PM

Then rather than doubling the capacitance I will likely just move up to 3300uF(a 50% increase). And of course maintain the same voltage rating.
Old 17th January, 2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
Changing the voltage will hurt - increasinf the rating in micro farads won't
Yes, scratch that, reverse it I guess it depends on how much you change what. Would you advise changing anything? I'm guessing the answer, in general, is no...
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's been a while since I've messed with this, but as I recall, higher voltage rated caps tend to have increased ESR for the same capacitance, which is why ET advises against increasing the voltage rating.

Increasing capacitance tends to decrease ESR so is generally a good thing, provided you don't upset the regulator while doing so.

Increasing either of these tends to increase the size of the cap, though.
Old 19th January, 2005, 09:47 PM

I stopped off at my local Electronics store yesterday (surprisingly large for “the middle of nowhere” Finland). Alas all they had were standard caps at this rating, they were much to large anyways. But now I have to figure out some place to order the little guys from.
Old 20th January, 2005, 07:28 AM
AOA Staff

I usually get lucky at the sites that cater to the music/organ industry to get replacement caps that are exactly the size and shape you need
Old 20th January, 2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanclimbthat
But now I have to figure out some place to order the little guys from.
Try Elfa. They have a branch in Finland too.
They're my favourite supplier for electronic parts - Not because they're cheapest, but beacuse they have a good inventory, good service and they're fast.

Regards

Johan-Kristian
Old 20th January, 2005, 10:28 PM

(PS - They're not very good at regular PC components. It pays to get such parts elsewhere...)

Johan-Kristian
Old 10th February, 2005, 10:51 PM

Exclamation

capacitor change?

what a coincidence - changed all buldged 1-2.2mF types yesterday with reachable 50 cent 1-2.2mF/16V types.

was a hell work, but i got em to fit.

all voltages ok and scope-stable with fresh bought lc-power lc6550 supply

CAUSE FOR THE DAMAGE WAS SPARKLEBURNING ATX-PLUG FROM LOW QUALITY CASE-BOUGHT SUPPLY OR EPOX ATX-CONNECTOR SUPPLIER QA PROBLEMS CHECK YOUR ATX COUPLING NOW AN TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION IF ITS HOT OR BROWNED.

w83697hf-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore: +1.74 V (min = +1.71 V, max = +1.89 V)
VAgp: +1.52 V (min = +1.42 V, max = +1.57 V)
+5V: +4.89 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
+12V: +12.22 V (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.19 V)
+3.3V: +3.31 V (min = +3.14 V, max = +3.47 V)
Vdimm: +2.56 V (min = +2.37 V, max = +2.62 V)
VBat: +3.26 V (min = +2.70 V, max = +3.30 V)
V5SB: +5.24 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)

y
darkstar