AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10th April, 2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeninja
Wolf2000me, HaloJones thanks for your replays. in almost every setting i tried the system booted up nicely (windows xp). but in the windows the problmes started (program errors) and finally system reset. i'm sure that RAM is not the problem here. is there any difference in Vcore in single or dual channel RAM mode? becouse with single channel i was able to run 250*9 at 1,75, now i cant run 230*9 at 1,85 stable. is the dual channel the problem? or other voltages? i tried raising vdd but the thing was not successful.
At least strange, I would say (I've marked what's bothering me ). As to raising vdd, it doesn't help in my case - on some boards it does though.

I would check the second mem module, if I were you. You said you had hit FSB250 with the older one, so now plz try the same thing with the new one (1x256MB single channel). Just to rule out the second module as an issue.

I can run FSB230 stably with 2x512MB dual channel (4 memory banks occupied), so with 2x256MB dual channel (2 bank occupied) you should be able to reach higher FSB, at least in theory.

Btw. there's a big difference between 1x256MB single and 2x256 dual, so the chipset's memory controller might be freaking. But, as I said, it should do better. And those V-core values are weird - additional memory stick shouldn't afflict V-core at all! Might limit your highest stable FSB, but the V-core differences by you are too big (some devilery at work here? ).

@ Wolf2000me - mosfeds don't get hotter while raising the FSB, for sure not the ones responsible for the CPU. It's a common mistake that many people make. The only thing that can cause some heat is higher V-core. Raising the FSB is usually connected with OCing your CPU and raising it's voltage, so many think : "higher FSB = higher CPU mosfets temp". Wrong.

I can assure you, that e.g 13x200 (tried this setting, when I had an Abit NF7) at high V-core will make them much hotter than 9x250 at lower V-core.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2005, 03:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to treeninja

hello guys. thanks for your suggestions.

i tested my pc in details.

the best result on multiplier 11 is:
219x11 | 2,5-2-3-9 | vcore 1,8 | vdimm 2,9
memtest: 1593/4699/14760

it's pretty good i guess. i'll test multiplier 10 an 9 in a few days.

any suggestions? comments?
Old 10th April, 2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MietmaN
@ Wolf2000me - mosfeds don't get hotter while raising the FSB, for sure not the ones responsible for the CPU. It's a common mistake that many people make. The only thing that can cause some heat is higher V-core. Raising the FSB is usually connected with OCing your CPU and raising it's voltage, so many think : "higher FSB = higher CPU mosfets temp". Wrong.

I can assure you, that e.g 13x200 (tried this setting, when I had an Abit NF7) at high V-core will make them much hotter than 9x250 at lower V-core.
You are right of course
Though as our Slovanian friend mentioned, the vcore was raised drastically and, like you said, it has to do with vcore but if you want to OC on the fsb you're going to try to near the cpu frequency you had before. The only way to do that and remain stable will make you up the vcore at a certain point.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hi,need help for merlins biosfile"8RDA6+ PRO TaiPan 0.1 [E4][ED] Bpl 3.19C 18.01.05 by -=Merlin=- "!!!
can`t find this one as functionally link !!!
thks in front
Old 11th April, 2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooneys
Hi,need help for merlins biosfile"8RDA6+ PRO TaiPan 0.1 [E4][ED] Bpl 3.19C 18.01.05 by -=Merlin=- "!!!
can`t find this one as functionally link !!!
thks in front
here you go m8
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 11th April, 2005, 08:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Barix Send a message via AIM to Barix

Problems with hibernation

I read that Merlin's bios gave hibernation problem.

Which problems do it give?

I ask because from when I put this bios .. it SOLVED my hibernation problems!!

Before (with stock bios) sometime launching hibern from win i was returned to the desktop eith this message in the tray "insufficent resources to complete the operation"

Now with the Merlin bios hibernation works always without errors.

The only problem is cold boot, but it's sufficent to detach power cable before switching on the pc ..

Bye all
Old 11th April, 2005, 10:20 AM

Barix, you pretty much summed up the problems

Though i'm interested in the way you flashed the bios. If it's any different then how it is recommended by both MietmaN and Merlin i'd like to hear it. And other ppl as well i think
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 12th April, 2005, 08:18 AM

thx @ wolf,
i use the same mob/cpu as you...but wc by kailon mk1 and aktiv mosfed cooling
tell about my oc how many power that bios gave me when flashed it
Old 12th April, 2005, 08:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Barix Send a message via AIM to Barix

@wolf2000me:

sorry but I'm not english and I can't understand what do you really mean saying "you summed up"..

I flashed the bios simply using a boot floppy with this command line

awdflash.exe 8rda6pro.Bin /cc /cd /cp /sn /py /f /r /qi

as reported in this thread

the bios I've used is the CPC ON version.

I agree that I reported two distinct problems, but I reported the cold boot as an already known problem, and I'd like to know which is the real hibernation problem.

Maybe it depends on the bios settings? The only things that I remember which can affect hibern that I've set in the bios are:

acpi on
suspend to ram S1

If there some other settings which interests ask me ..

I haven't yet tried suspend to ram from when I'm using Merlin bios .. maybe I'll try to see what happens
Old 12th April, 2005, 12:48 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barix
@wolf2000me:
sorry but I'm not english and I can't understand what do you really mean saying "you summed up"..
It means all problems with the merlin bios were mentioned by you. There a no other known problems. Or so I thought

I never use Hibernation so I don't really know what the exact sympthoms are.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 13th April, 2005, 05:13 PM

Wink

I've never tried hibernation at all (though I use it quite often on my notebook), so I don't know if it works by me with Merlin's bios, as some other people have reported. What I know, is that S3 (suspend-to-RAM) doesn't function, that's for sure.

Merlin wrote me a massage a couple of days ago - he would like to thank everyone for their help once again. He's working on his web site now + a windows patch for memory menagement, although I don't know any details.

cheers everyone

Old 1st June, 2005, 02:09 PM

I presume that this BIOS works also with 8RDA3+ Pro mainboard, as they are almost identical in design and share the same original BIOS as well. Am I right?
Old 1st June, 2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsi
I presume that this BIOS works also with 8RDA3+ Pro mainboard, as they are almost identical in design and share the same original BIOS as well. Am I right?
You are completely correct. MietmaN is using the same board as you are.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 1st June, 2005, 08:03 PM
Member/Contributer

today new Bios Mod comes, not tested, in an emergency hot flash

the last Bios Mod Epox 8RDA6+ PRO & 8RDA3+ PRO

!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

!!! ALPHA DANGER !!!

Epox 8RDA6+ PRO & 8RDA3+ PRO

TaiPan 0.1 (Optimised 200FSB Register) ALPHA
Indifikation Mobeil AMD Athlon XP-M
L12 mod built-in
ENABLED CPU Interface
AwdFlash 8.54c
Nvpxes 201 0462
Nvmm 4.94
Nvr 4.84 (Nv Raid)
Sil 3114 5127 (Raid 5)

!!! ALPHA DANGER !!!

Merlin

PayPal Email merlin@chello.at

BANK AUSTRIA CREDITANSTALT
IBAN: AT62 1200 0502 8572 5601
Bic: BKAUATWW
Verwendungszweck: Merlin
Old 1st June, 2005, 08:25 PM

OK, I flashed the BIOS (8RDA6+_PRO_TaiPan_0.1_E4_ED_Bpl_3.19C_18.01.05) and it worked fine, until I tried to overclock my processor to 12x200@1,55V. It has previously been stable at 11x200 with the original BIOS and with this BIOS. Now the computer doesn't boot and there is no picture on the monitor. First I thought it was an overclocking problem as usual and tried to reset the BIOS with the Insert key. No help there. Then I tried to reset the BIOS completely with the jumper on the mainboard, no help there either. The P80 led display shows C1 error, which by the manual has something to do with bad memory modules. I tried to switch the modules from one bank to another with no solution. The motherboard made a calm, periodical beeping sound at some point when switching the modules. I haven't yet tried to boot with a completely different memory module, one from my friend's computer (which I'm currently using ) for example, but could it really be a memory problem? If not, what then? And how to fix it? Help me, people, I'm really in a deep ******!

Oh, and here's my hardware:

Athlon XP-M Barton 2400+, Epox 8RDA3+ Pro v1.2, 2x256MB KVR333, GF4Ti4200, 200GB SATA, 300W PSU

Last edited by dotsi; 1st June, 2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 1st June, 2005, 09:47 PM

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU MERLIN!
WHAT CAN I SAY MORE?
THANK YOU!!!!!

I appreciate your your efforts very very much! your last bios (cpc on) i'm using for almost 3 months and it's much better from the stock epox bios!!!

i'll write soon my discoveries about this new bios!

greetz
i pozdrawiam

btw: where is it to download???

@dotsi

turn off your Power Switching Supply for about 10 sec. then turn it on - wait few secs and turn on the computer - that would help
if it wouldn't just plug off the power cordf from PSU and so on...
try it - in my case it helped

greetzzzz

Last edited by myrddin669; 1st June, 2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 1st June, 2005, 10:56 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrddin669
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU MERLIN!
WHAT CAN I SAY MORE?
THANK YOU!!!!!

I appreciate your your efforts very very much! your last bios (cpc on) i'm using for almost 3 months and it's much better from the stock epox bios!!!

i'll write soon my discoveries about this new bios!

greetz
i pozdrawiam

btw: where is it to download???

@dotsi

turn off your Power Switching Supply for about 10 sec. then turn it on - wait few secs and turn on the computer - that would help
if it wouldn't just plug off the power cordf from PSU and so on...
try it - in my case it helped

greetzzzz
nie wiem czy ty po polsku rozmawiasz ale mysle ze umiesz, bo moj angielski nie jest dobry

chcesz sprobowac bios , ale jest !!! ALPHA DANGER !!!
moze byc hot flash

ist on nie testowany

Epox 8RDA6+ PRO & 8RDA3+ PRO not tested
in an emergency hot flash !!! you want to test ???

Merlin

PayPal Email merlin@chello.at

BANK AUSTRIA CREDITANSTALT
IBAN: AT62 1200 0502 8572 5601
Bic: BKAUATWW
Verwendungszweck: Merlin
Old 2nd June, 2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by by -=Merlin=-
nie wiem czy ty po polsku rozmawiasz ale mysle ze umiesz, bo moj angielski nie jest dobry

chcesz sprobowac bios , ale jest !!! ALPHA DANGER !!!
moze byc hot flash

ist on nie testowany

Epox 8RDA6+ PRO & 8RDA3+ PRO not tested
in an emergency hot flash !!! you want to test ???

Merlin
As the previous time, i'll pass as i need my machine at the moment. I should rma it but i don't because of the same reason. A capacitor got damaged but i'm okay when i keep the machine running. At cold boot it needs about 15 minutes of system heavy load before booting in my OS. Otherwise it would corrupt any disk on any storage device used before total system hang.
I will have time in 3 weeks however, and this is where i can be positive. I have recently purchased components needed to build a new socket A system except for a mainboard. Which is a rather obvious choice now
This means when i have time, i will have 2 8rda6+ Pro mainboards though all v1.4 and 3 bios chips.
When I have those parts, I will certainly test this new released bios version by -=Merlin=-
Thanks for your work

Quote:
OK, I flashed the BIOS (8RDA6+_PRO_TaiPan_0.1_E4_ED_Bpl_3.19C_18.01.05) and it worked fine, until I tried to overclock my processor to 12x200@1,55V. It has previously been stable at 11x200 with the original BIOS and with this BIOS. Now the computer doesn't boot and there is no picture on the monitor. First I thought it was an overclocking problem as usual and tried to reset the BIOS with the Insert key. No help there. Then I tried to reset the BIOS completely with the jumper on the mainboard, no help there either. The P80 led display shows C1 error, which by the manual has something to do with bad memory modules. I tried to switch the modules from one bank to another with no solution. The motherboard made a calm, periodical beeping sound at some point when switching the modules. I haven't yet tried to boot with a completely different memory module, one from my friend's computer (which I'm currently using ) for example, but could it really be a memory problem? If not, what then? And how to fix it? Help me, people, I'm really in a deep ******!

Oh, and here's my hardware:

Athlon XP-M Barton 2400+, Epox 8RDA3+ Pro v1.2, 2x256MB KVR333, GF4Ti4200, 200GB SATA, 300W PSU

What myrddin669 sais is certain to be one element of your problems. Also the bios version you are using by Merlin uses CPC1 as an extra feature he enabled. As you can find in this thread there are memory tests done this thread about the different memory bandwitdth at the same FSB yet with different multipliers. The CPC 1T or cpc on feature enhances your memory performance but increases the pressure on your memory. The way i see it you are using pc2700 ddr memory. Unless they have real good chips they are already doing great by running 11x200 at cpc on, if you mean that is stable now with the current merlin bios. Also a 300W PSU is probably cutting it a bit close too

At any rate, just disconnect the psu for 10 secs from power and try the insert thing again. You should at least be able to boot it up and do further tests.
Good luck
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 2nd June, 2005, 05:41 AM

All OK, no problems here anymore I just turned off the PSU from it's main switch for overnight (before I even got to read that last post :P), and in the morning the computer woke up like nothing has ever happened. Thanks for your help! I'll keep on testing with Merlin's great BIOS.
Old 2nd June, 2005, 12:17 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
All OK, no problems here anymore I just turned off the PSU from it's main switch for overnight (before I even got to read that last post :P), and in the morning the computer woke up like nothing has ever happened. Thanks for your help! I'll keep on testing with Merlin's great BIOS.
I can't add anything, after Wolf2000me has written his post. In your case it was something more than just a plain cold boot issue. I'm almost sure your memory can't handle FSB220 at all or with the timings you had set before testing. Epox boards tend to freak out after having set too agressive mem timings with too high FSB frequency. Usually a simple clear CMOS helps, but not always. Having read everything I think it must have been both : your memory performance capabilities + the cold boot issue. Good luck in further OCing!!!

There's so much going on (not only in these forums ) and I'm sitting in my cell like some kind of monk, trying to write my diss for my @$% doctor degree. When will it end?! (it was just a cry to the stars above! )