AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2005, 01:33 AM

My MCX462+ killed my 8RDA6+

So, 2 weeks ago I get my new 8RDA6+ PRO. I put on the processor, heatsink, and ram. Proceed to power on the board and I get instant FF. Not good! Tried to trouble shoot it by using all the methods I have read here in the forum, but nothing. So I RMA it back to newegg and bingo I get a new board. So this time I try to power it up with only the processor, and power cable. Motherboard goes into C1 and then F2 or something. So this motherboard, am guessing is fine. Then I proceed to install the stand-offs for the Swiftech MCX462+ in their proper holes with their proper washers (2 grounding washers and 1 nylon washer per stand-off). I go back to power up the board and.... instant FF again...... By this point I start sweating; I take off the stand offs try powering up the board again and still FF. Clear the CMOS, FF again! I am at the same point as I was before. Anyone have any ideas as to what has happened? What can I do to solve the problem?
Old 21st January, 2005, 05:34 AM
EPoX Tech

Have you scuffed the PCB in the region of the mounting holes either front or back ; i.e. killing the board ?
Old 21st January, 2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
Have you scuffed the PCB in the region of the mounting holes either front or back ; i.e. killing the board ?
They don't make them mounting holes like they used to. If your MCX462 standoffs are anything like my waterblock standoffs, you have washers on the top side of the board that will make short work of any and all surface mount components, should you tighten them down. I used little bits of foam tape to prevent that, and just tighten the nuts on top to barely finger tight.

But what worries me is "So this time I try to power it up with only the processor, and power cable...Then I proceed to install the stand-offs." Were you using any heatsink at all for the first boot?
Old 21st January, 2005, 02:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Interesting....my Asetek WC kit has nylon washers for both sides of the PCB and I would have thought the Swifftech kit would be the same?

Also, the socket area (on my NF7-S) is crowded with surface components and I had to cut down the nylon washer to avoid crushing them when it was all tightened up.
Could your "grounding" washers be shorting some components and killing the board?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2005, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
I inspected the board and I saw none of that, I'll inspect in more detail tonight.
Old 22nd January, 2005, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
They don't make them mounting holes like they used to. If your MCX462 standoffs are anything like my waterblock standoffs, you have washers on the top side of the board that will make short work of any and all surface mount components, should you tighten them down. I used little bits of foam tape to prevent that, and just tighten the nuts on top to barely finger tight.

But what worries me is "So this time I try to power it up with only the processor, and power cable...Then I proceed to install the stand-offs." Were you using any heatsink at all for the first boot?
I wasn't using any heatsink, nor RAM. I have done this before with my 8RDA+ nothing bad happens to the processor or the board.
Old 22nd January, 2005, 03:18 PM

I've done it before with a 1600+. RIP, AGOIA.