AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2005, 09:50 AM

Epox 9NDA3+ PHY SATA lock

I just recently purchased the 9NDA3+. I do have to say that I like it a LOT better than the MSI. There weren't any problems at all, unlike tweaking the MSI.

However, I noticed in the release notes of the 04-Nov-11 Bios that the SATA locks for the PHY controller is supposed to be fixed.

I have the below specs along with the 05-Jan-11 Bios (as well as tried the previous Bios) and I am unable to get the lock to work, be it set at 66 or 67. The board works great with ports 1/2, however I don't have access to those ports due to my cooling.

Just curious if this was a known issue (regression from 04-Nov-11 BIOS), and if any future Bios releases will fix this?

Thanks a lot
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2005, 03:17 AM

its a known issue and as far as i know no future bios will fix it :/
Old 22nd January, 2005, 12:56 PM

Doh... No good.

Thanks a lot for the response though.
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd January, 2005, 02:26 PM

I have the same prob. Tried at add a 3rd Sata drive to either SATA 3 or 4 and it will not detect the driver. Surely a BIOS update should/must fix this????
Old 24th January, 2005, 12:56 PM

I doubt it will be fixed. It's a limitation (and known bug) for the Nforce 250 chipset, regardless if it's the gb or Ultra chipset, or whatever 3rd party controller is used. So Epox releasing a BIOS that fixes a problem (perceived to be a chipset limitation rather than BIOS fix) that no other motherboard manufacture has had any luck fixing just doesn't sound too realistic.

It isn't the fact that the problem exists that bothers me, it's the fact that Epox's website lists the Nov BIOS as fixing the problem, which just isn't true.
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Old 24th January, 2005, 01:51 PM
EPoX Tech

I am having difficulty in finding where it states this in the November fix notes:-

Enhancements & Fixes for this BIOS release:

1.Solve USB device resume fail from S4 mode.
2.Patch system cold booting fail (hang up at POST FF h) when FSB over clock on SATA PHY M/B.
3.Support DDR400 for double banks DIMM.

Must get me a better grasp of the language of my queen so that I can create metamorphoses of any given data to sling mud for my own gain.

The fact that bothers me is that the above BIOS does fix the bug whereby the system couldn't POST where the frequency integer that was the subject of division rather than of lock was lesser or greater than permissable by the PHY's auto-detection to allow POST. It doesn't say it locks it.
Old 25th January, 2005, 03:22 PM

Well, I didn't create the post to sling mud, only to get a better understanding of what was fixed and what wasn't.

I wasn't the only one that thought that #2 meant a fixed SATA lock. There were a number of reviewers and a few threads over at xtremesystems.org that had said the same thing.

While being a representative of Epox, I am surprised you'd resort to sarcasm. It can easily be construed as insulting, whether or not you intended it that way. A lot of people that post questions on this board (in this section at least) do so because of your affiliation. A company, whether fairly or unfairly, is judged on it's employees.

Regardless, thank you for your response.
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Old 25th January, 2005, 05:13 PM

Does that mean that no nForce 3 board will allow more than 2 SATA hard drives to be connected at a time. Seems crazy that there is 4 SATA connectors and two of them don't work...!
Old 25th January, 2005, 10:17 PM

The SATA controller nearest the AGP slot has a working lock. This is the way of most to all of the Nforce 250 754 and 939 (gb and ultra).

This is all of the boards though, and I still think Epox has made a superior 939 board.

You're saying that it isn't detecting the driver. Generally, if you're overclocking and you install a device (or devices) on an unlocked controller, you won't boot past 225+ FSB.

Will it detect the driver at stock settings (no overclocking)?
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Old 25th January, 2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Must get me a better grasp of the language of my queen so that I can create metamorphoses of any given data to sling mud for my own gain.
Sarcasm? Can't tell but not being able to agree on abstract concepts is what separates us from our smaller cousins in the animal kingdom.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 26th January, 2005, 12:34 AM

I have no problem with disagreeing, especially on internet forums . You have to expect it.

However, when a simple question is answered with obvious scorn because of a misunderstanding (Misunderstood not only by me, but others as well) by a company representative... That's a bit much.
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Old 26th January, 2005, 02:30 AM

BTW I had to modify my SATA cable for ports 1,2 so I could use it in addition to a VGA Silencer NF5. Sata ports 3,4 did not work worth dit even when the board was not overclocked.

Vers 1.1- PHY floats and LAN drops whole packets. Same in Vers2?
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda

Last edited by bETAbILLY; 26th January, 2005 at 02:43 AM.
Old 26th January, 2005, 05:52 AM

My v 2.1 didn't have any issues with lan that I've been reading about.

Ports 3,4 worked great on the board, they were just unlocked (like all the other boards).

There's been a few posts I've read on other forums where people have said going to v2.1 fixed the problems they were having. I can actually say that aside from the ill-placed SATA connector, it's been one of the best boards I've owned.
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Old 26th January, 2005, 06:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress
I have no problem with disagreeing, especially on internet forums . You have to expect it.

However, when a simple question is answered with obvious scorn because of a misunderstanding (Misunderstood not only by me, but others as well) by a company representative... That's a bit much.
No doubt it could have been handled better. I sure ET is aware that others share in your misunderstanding. Some of whom no doubt knew better, hence the edge, which was probably not so much directed at you personally as at those who tend to use such misunderstandings to futher their own biases and/or ajundas.

Sorry this didn't go better.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 26th January, 2005 at 06:13 AM.
Old 26th January, 2005, 06:44 AM

have read this several times now. finally think i understand. what i surmise is that the sata frequency on the PHY controler (presumably ports 3&4) is governed by a divisor, similar to the old pci divisors. i think what ET was saying is that the bios fixed the inability to implement the divisor when fsb was higher or lower than an expected/recognized value, resulting in cold boot failure. the notes on bios revision say nothing about a lock. Porkchop, you clearly state that the bios notes claim the lock (as opposed to cold boot issue) was fixed. i don't see any support for your position in the bios notes, and again, i think what ET is saying is that there is no lock. it is a divisor. hopefully, someone will correct me if i am wrong.
i believe you are relatively new to this forum and probably have not tuned into ET long enough to glean an understanding of his style. hang around for awhile and you will learn to appreciate both his style and the wealth of knowledge he brings to us all. if you must criticize, make damn sure of your facts.
as to the perceived problem with ports 3&4, all i can say is i am venturing forth in building my 8 disk sata/pata raid 0+1 9nda3+rev 2.1 system, placing my trust in epox and their representatives. if i encounter any difficulties, this is where i will come for assistance.
2x256twinmos/winbond3200 11,3,3,2.5
innovatek/black ice watercooled 40C/43C, sys 28C
antek 430true
Radeon9700Pro, 360/330

Last edited by fast--; 26th January, 2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 26th January, 2005, 10:55 AM
EPoX Tech

Hi guys - sorry if I offended anyone with my choice of prose.

I am notoriously wry in humour and attack - sometimes the definition between the two is slight to say the least.

What I was trying to say was along the lines of.........

"Let's get this straight - the fix doesn't state as people are claiming, please don't morph the sentence to make a claim"

I am very defensive and I did see some spurious posting, and whilst I didn't flip I did use choice words to make the point that could have been expressed more softly.

I admit therefore that I was wrong but do state that my wrongdoing was the reaction to other wrongdoing from other posters within this thread. That said - two wrongs do not make a right.

Whilst I am a representative of the company I am here voluntarily and without need or requirement to have to do anything - I don't have to answer if I don't wish and I will reply truthfully in every event if I do make a post.
Old 26th January, 2005, 08:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your not alone when it comes to moments of intemperance ET. Any forums offers an abundance of opportunities both to help others and to error. In the end abundance means many occasions, occasions for joy and for sorrow.

I have come to know from personal experience that in the long run, misunderstandings are unavoidable. For me, all that really matters is that we cling to the good will that can put things to right.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 26th January, 2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 27th January, 2005, 12:48 AM

Hi everybody, sorry for creating this mess

I, like ET, respond poorly to percieved wrong doings (whether intentional or not), and can get defensive.

I was obviously wrong in my perception of the BIOS notes, but at no other time meant to be insulting... ET, or anybody for that matter, if you found this to be the case, my apologies.

Working for a "large" software company based out of redmond (software engineer), I understand the anger behind seeing somebody that says "blame xxx", when it's clearly a problem with specs, not the disign or implementation of a particular product.
EVGA 6800gt w/ NV5
2x Seagate SATA V
Old 27th January, 2005, 02:01 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

We're all happy campers then! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th February, 2005, 03:26 PM

Would buying a PCI Sata addin card overcome the limitation on Sata 3&4?

I would really like to run more than 2 Sata HDD's while overclocking at 260mhz or faster!

Thanks
Radeon X800 XT
Western Digital 160GB SATA (WD1600JD)
Western Digital 200GB SATA (WD2000JD)
Audigy 2
Iiyama HM204D/DT [22" CRT] monitor