AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th February, 2005, 03:08 AM

Help on RAID!

Tonight I began to set up a striped array on two WD800 Sata drives on my Epox 9nda3+ intending to use a spare 80gig ATA hd for the OS. The in-bios RAID set up reported my two SATA drives were indexed but on re-boot, I get a BSOD and a message: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

I went back into bios and turned off my SATA controllers and made sure I was booting from the 80gig ATA drive but I still get the same BSOD.

Any suggestions?
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2005, 03:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I want to make sure I understand:

You have a PATA 80 gig drive that you want to use as your boot drive, and two 80 gig SATA drives that you want to use as a RAID0 stripe?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2005, 04:10 AM

Yes Gizmo, thats correct. But I dont intend to use the PATA drive for redundency, just to keep my more important things in order. In the meantime I had to do a re-install of XP and am now wiping the two SATA drives. Funny though, in bios setup I cannot turn on the SATA RAID channels unless the IDE RAID channels are enabled. They would be greyed-out unless the IDE RAID is enabled.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 9th February, 2005, 10:55 AM

My brother tried a WD800JB disk to boot from with his nforce2 board. He was able to install the OS on it but he couldn't boot from it. I told him to first try new firmware for the disk (you can download it from the western digital homepage, attach the drive to ide primary master and run the flash program in a dos environment) then if that didn't work to try and low level format the disk. He didn't feel like both and installed the OS on his (slower) maxtor disk. So i can't really be sure if both options work. I had those kind of disks as well and I had trouble getting a raid-0 config on it. The disks frequently fell away from the array but after the firmware upgrade on both they've been working like that just fine. It's still working fine and it boots winxp.

Hope it helps
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 9th February, 2005, 04:01 PM

The JB root disk is fine, but getting into RAID setup was another story.

I have IDE RAID enabled, and SATA 1 & 2 RAID enabled, the RAID setup screen comes up , lists both the RAID SATA drives as "Healthy" , the 9NDA3+ RAID manual says ton press F7 to complete RAID setup, but nothing happens. On reboot into XP, (my PATA boot and OS drive is a WD800JB and the two SATAs are WD800JD's) instead of a RAID array listed in MY COMPUTER, the two SATA drives are still individually listed.

I never played around with RAID before but it seems unusual that the RAID manual on the 9NDA3+ bundled CD differs in context from the bundled paper manual.

Will have to work at it tonight after work.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda