AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February, 2002, 05:29 AM

Here's another one. (Multipliers and RAM)

So...general question. How high have you guys gotten your 8KHA+ CPU multipliers to? I believe I have unlocked my XP 2000, because I wouldn't get a post when I did anything to the multipliers (raise or lower them) before, and now it'll work fine when I lower them.

When I raise them however, they stay the same. The default multiplier that the 2000+ runs on is 12.5, when I put it at 13, 14, or 15 it just stays at 12.5
I read in an article on the web that the multipliers over 12.5 don't work, locked or unlocked. I was wondering if there was any truth to this. IF so, then at least I know I've unlocked this correctly.

Also...I may have an idea on my FSB limitations. I've not been able to OC the FSB successfully and boot past 145 MHz...I've been trying everything...removing PCI cards, removing drives etc. BIOS updated to the 2116 (1/16/02), voltages messed with...

But, I have 768 MB of Crucial PC2100...and I just realized it's ECC!

Think the error correcting code in the RAM might be very sensitive to overclocking? That's my theory, I just wanted some other people's opinions.

Also...what brand would you suggest for PC 2700?

Thanks for your help guys.
SB Audigy
Windows XP Pro
Water Cooled
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2002, 08:49 AM
EPoX Tech

The 5 pin FID arrangement of Palomino dictates the useability of "high" user defined multipliers.

I'm sure that with the very high stability that 8KHA+ can offer in the region of 170MHz host and memory clock there should be no problem being stuck with 12.5x multiplier for the foreseeable future.

I think that the most used multipliers on this platform are those of 10x and 10.5x in general unless people are using locked units.
Old 11th February, 2002, 05:59 PM

I know that I'm going to lower the multiplier to about 10.x, but I'm just trying to see if my processor is even unlocked, I heard there is a major FSB overclocking limitation with locked processors (Someone with a locked processor can get their FSB up to 140, then he unlocks it and can get it to 180 for example).

Think that ECC has something to do with my problems though?
SB Audigy
Windows XP Pro
Water Cooled
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2002, 06:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Umm . . . . dude, just set you multiplier to 10X and if it boots at that multiplier it is unlocked . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2002, 07:03 PM

Methinks you might be a bit confused, Malachyte. The Multiplier is used for overclocking the memory. The multiplier times the front side bus speed gives you your overall processor speed (1.4GHz = 10.5*133). The multiplier shouldn't have anything to do with the memory not overclocking well. If your processor is locked, it just means you can't change your multiplier. It has nothing to do with the FSB.
Old 12th February, 2002, 06:45 AM

What I'm saying is that people who have unlocked their processor have been able to OC their FSB more...I don't understand why, I'm just relaying what I've read.

What do you think about the ECC memory?
SB Audigy
Windows XP Pro
Water Cooled
Old 12th February, 2002, 07:26 AM
EPoX Tech

Host Clock x multiplier = CPU speed

If CPU is multiplier locked it could be that the multiplier is too high to overclock the FSB too far, dropping the multiplier may increase the ability to increase the FSB, eg. a processor that can do 1.67GHz

12.5 x 133 = c.1667MHz
10 x 166 = c.1667MHz

Obviously the processor that is unlocked and can do the lower multiplier in this case will outperform the locked processor since its memory speed is higher due to the higher host clock speed.
Old 26th February, 2002, 03:11 PM

Well I'm having the same issue as Malachyte. My AthlonXP1600 is unlocked. I was running it in an AsusA7V at 12.5x103=1288. The default multiplier is 10.5.

When I upgraded to the Epox 8KHA+, I cannot get a multiplier above 10.5 to work. Also I max out at around 144/145fsb at 10.5 multiplier. I can lower the multiplier, and I am stable at 10x150=1500. But I was honestly expecting to get around 1600mhz without too much trouble, e.g. 11x145=1595mhz.

What gives? The multipliers should work. I'm worried about too high an FSB nixing my PCI/AGP cards so would rather run at higher multiplier and fsb in range 142-145.

If I cant fix the multipliers, what kind of FSB should I get without modding my board? I'm running Crucial Cas 2.5 DDRam. What bios settings to get stable at higher FSB's?
Old 26th February, 2002, 04:14 PM

Well...time has passed and I've been able to fool around with OCing this thing a bit (XP 2000+, 256 MB Crucial, 8KHA+)

It's funny...I can OC the FSB to lets say...170 with the multiplier at 10, it works fine.

10.5 it works fine

I lower the FSB (Lets say...to 160) and set it to 11...no go

same thing with 11.5 and 12

odd...
SB Audigy
Windows XP Pro
Water Cooled
Old 26th February, 2002, 05:10 PM

Exactly, 10x150 is fine but 11x133 is a no go and posts at 10.5x and my chip IS unlocked.

I've got pretty much stock cooling, FOP32, case fan, exhaust fan under 8500LE and PSU exhaust but temps are fine 52deg under load at 10x1500mhz. PSU is an Enermax 330Watts witha reasonable output on the 5v rail under load (4.8-4.9v)

What should I expect to get without too much effort on changing cooling etc?

Any tips would be gratefully received.
Old 26th February, 2002, 08:56 PM

This might be a long shot but its worth trying.

Set the command rate in the bios to 2..not to the faster 1
As the setting changes to 2 at higher fsb's

If your memory has a particular dislike of the 1 command rate that might explaing the problem.

Ive also noticed some odd things happening when attempting to run 200fsb..where im stabler at higher multiplyer and unstable at lower ones. As my soundcard packs up at 200 ive not done any propper tests.

I would like to have a higher multiplyer than 12.5x to help me better find how far I can overclock..without touching the FSB.
Being able to find the maximum speed of the chip without an out of spec fsb would be interesting.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th February, 2002, 10:19 AM

My XP1700 is unlocked.

I've got multipliers upto 15, but for some reason it misses out 12.5, i've only just noticed this though...

I've tried 13x133 and that works okay, so does 12x133.

I usually use 10x172 or 10.5 x 165