AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th March, 2005, 01:28 PM

Help choosing a CPU and board

What motherboard and CPU ?
Old 14th March, 2005, 03:03 PM

Wait for the E stepping Hammers in April/May and then see what your MB options are.

Considering what you are wanting to do... have you investigated a dual Opteron rig?

And as Graham suggested, considering Intel land is not so bad of an idea. Hyperthreading and memory bandwidth are the big draw for this one... of course, memory latency is amazing for the AMD64 platform... the only problem with the Opterons is that nobody makes an S940 BP-6.
Old 14th March, 2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the input I havent considered intel or dual cpu because of the budget which is £750 for a whole system including "19 LCD.
Old 14th March, 2005, 04:21 PM
Member/Contributer

There are dual core S939 chips due soon as well, which will likely be a much better implementation that intels for several reasons, first they run cooler, so sticking 2 cores on the chip won't have the heat problems which are forcing intel to produce slower clocked chips for dual core, secondly the first lot of intels will have hyperthreading disabled, which is one of the things that allows them to keep up with single core AMD's, so with amd not loosing anything in going dual core, and intel having to clock slower and disable hyperthreading, coupled with AMD's better bus system, the amd implementation of dual cores looks to be the better option among the first batch.

With your limitted budget amd is probably the way to go, with the 64bit 3.2ghz prescott costing more than a 3500+

So on your budget you should aim for
S939 3000+ winchester £102
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D £105
1GB DDR400 Dual Channel £65
Maxtor 10 200GB £70

Total just over £340

Add a couple of hundred for a TFT and that leaves you around £200 for a video card, case, psu, keyboard and mouse
Divide that up depending on how powerful a video card you want, if games aren't too important go for about a £40 Geforce 6200 turbo cache or Radeon X300 and I'd recomend another £40 on a Enermax Noisetaker 370W

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th March, 2005, 05:26 PM

Thanks for all your help graham I will go for your recomended board but is it worth going for the 3200+ for the extra £35 or will the 3000+ overclock to the same ?
Decided to get the following aswell:-
Arctic Cooling Tower Case - 350W Seasonic Silent PSU (CA-001-AR) £58
19" Acer AL1914MS LCD £219
Corsiar Value DDR Memory 400 2 * 512mb - £112
128MB Sapphire Radeon X300SE - £38
Old 14th March, 2005, 05:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Is that the silentium T2? If so read this first.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article216-page1.html

It's not a bad case but it's a touch gimmicky and not as effective as it seems. You could always go for the Antec SLK3700BQE, it's a better case overall, though the psu isn't quite as good it's standard ATX so easier to replace.

For the memory overclockers.co.uk has DDR400 2x512mb kit's for £65 under the this week only section, you might loose a little in the memory timings but the £47 could be handy else where, especially as you are talking ~5% differance in actual performance between normal and slightly lower timings.
I'd say it's not worth it for the 3200+ as well, it's 30% more money for 8% performance, and overclocking is likely to be pretty close, that extra money could go on a better cooler which will help more getting that overclock.

Oh and I recomend chucking an NEC ND3520 in as well, without a doubt the best 16x DL writer on the market, I own the 2500 (modded to a 2510 DL) and it's fast, compatable and reasonably quiet. My other consideration if DVD-RAM is useful is the LG GSA4163, almost as good as the NEC but with faster CD burning and DVD-RAM support.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th March, 2005, 06:11 PM

Thanks again mate more cost cutting
I need a silver system to fit in with the rest of the office does that case come in silver or can you recomend another silver case what about the coolermaster cavalier ?
I normally use pioneer but if you recomend the NEC then I will give that a try.
Old 14th March, 2005, 08:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Don't think theres a silver version but there is a metallic bronze version, the SLK3700AMB, but it doesn't look like the colour you'd be after as it's more of a dark grey
If you can budget that much for the case without a psu then you might consider the Silverstone Temjin TJ06

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=135773

review here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article203-page1.html

It uses a wind tunnel to cool the cpu and is huge but still looks stylish, it's the case I'm planning on getting soon.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th March, 2005, 10:24 PM

I've been very happy with the SLK3700AMB in the past.

Although, if you're on as much as a budget as you feel you are, there's really no shame in getting some generic steel case that will suit your needs just as well... the main reason I have bought that particular case in the past was because it was cheaper than buying a quality PSU separately, and aside from the general nicetie of it all, the only *features* that you get persay are the drive rails, mounting grommets, fan filter, and annoying little door that gets in the way.

Of course, you're talking in pounds instead of dollars, and I'm not entirely sure if people in the UK can run up the street and have Staples pricematch Office Depot and then mail in a $20 rebate So I really don't have a feel for your purchasing environment.

I'm not sure if there is a VGA Silencer to fit the X300SE, but it's certainly a good thing to look into - it's amazing what happens when you directly remove that heat from the case.
Old 14th March, 2005, 10:36 PM
Member/Contributer

An X300 won't need much in the way of cooling, most come with passive cooling as stock, the northbridge is likely to produce more heat. A vga silencer would likely be overkill and a loss of a pci slot that other wise need not be sacrificed.
And we don't get things like rebates over here

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th March, 2005, 03:55 AM

I have in the past 6 months bought three Antec cases, a Sonata, a 1650, and a P-160. All very well engineered. I am impressed. The first two are made of steel and came with capable 380 and 350 PSUs. I think Antec PSU's are okay, I would prefer a ATX Sea Sonic. (I really like PC Power & Cooling PSU's, have 2)

When getting a bargain case, you often find they were bargains for a reason. Antec's bargain cases are very well done. The P-160, is not a cheap case it has a removable Motherboard tray that is unique, it is aluminum. The tray is not as easy to use, nor as nice as a Lian Li's. It is still well engineered and cheaper than the more modern Lian Li's and has better panel connectors than older design Lian Li's.

I have three other bargain cases of other brands, that may have been cheap, but not worth it in my opinion.... another US $10 to $20 for something much better is worth it.
Rig 1 MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400+, 4 gig PC6400, 3870; and then MSI K9A2 CF, 5000+; Abit Fatal1ty AN8, Opteron 185; ASRock 939Dual VSTA, 4400+; EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra, 148 Opteron; Abit KN9 SLI, 5000+;Abit UL8, 3800+; Gigabyte 754 3200+; ASUS A8N-VM CSM, 3500+, ASRock Dual Sata-2, 3200+, Abit NF7-S; DFI NFII; EPoX 8RDA6+Pro.
Old 15th March, 2005, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all your help guys last decsions to make now
What about these cases
Asus TA-211 Series Midi Tower
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SNA Case Alu - Silver
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Case Silver/Black
CoolerMaster Cavalier 3 Silver/Black
If these arnet any good I think it will be the Antec P160
What PSU
Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W ATX2.0 PSU (CA-001-ZA)
Hiper Silent Dual Fan 425W ATX2.2 PSU (CA-000-HP)
Enermax Noisetaker 370W EG375AX-VE(G) SFMA ATX2.0 PSU (CA-005-EN)

Last edited by grandmaster_b; 15th March, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 15th March, 2005, 12:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Definately the Enermax Noisetaker, only seasonic psu's are on par with enermax and they are a pain to find in the UK.

I didn't think to suggest the P160 because of the price, but if you are willing to budget that amount for the case then the Silverstone Temjin TJ06 is a great case, though not aluminium, this helps make it the best case for a quiet system without any modification.
Of those other choices though the centurion5 is a good case.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th March, 2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all your help graham I am ordering the kit today I was just about to get the P160 then I found this web site
http://www.komplett.co.uk
They have the coolermaster cavalier case for £35 !
The AMD 64 is £100 also worth looking at this site for certain things as they seem to be very cheap.
I have the cavlaier desktop and it keeps my XP mobile system now running at 2.4ghz case temp 30 cpu temp 50.
One thing I forgot was CPU cooler I am getting the retail pack so I will get the stcok CPU cooler normally they arent sufficeint so can you recomend a quiet solution.
Old 16th March, 2005, 03:02 PM

The Stock cooler will work for stock speeds and mild overclocking, the Zalman 7000 and 7700 are revered.
Rig 1 MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400+, 4 gig PC6400, 3870; and then MSI K9A2 CF, 5000+; Abit Fatal1ty AN8, Opteron 185; ASRock 939Dual VSTA, 4400+; EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra, 148 Opteron; Abit KN9 SLI, 5000+;Abit UL8, 3800+; Gigabyte 754 3200+; ASUS A8N-VM CSM, 3500+, ASRock Dual Sata-2, 3200+, Abit NF7-S; DFI NFII; EPoX 8RDA6+Pro.
Old 16th March, 2005, 05:31 PM
Member/Contributer

I have a CNSP7700-AlCu and it's a damned fine heatsink, only problem is the fans is lame, even turning it down past the lowest setting on the fanmate to 3V it isn't silent, it rumbles and squeeks.
My sugestion is an XP-90 and a good papst or panaflo fan. The XP-120 is overkill for a winchester.
I'd also suggest giving the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 a look, it's not quite up to the standard of the XP-90 and the fan is proprietory so would be a pain to replace, but I've heard very good things frmo it and it's about half the price of an xp-90+fan

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah