AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2005, 12:36 PM

8rda3+ pro , BIOS and ACPI

Hello.

Just bought new 8rda3+ pro (rev 1.4) and tried to install WinXP on spare disk.
No go, it was failing in beginning phases. Then tried Ubuntu to be sure. Hm, restarted too in the beginning phase. As it was my second or third evening I was getting tired of this a bit. Earlier, when setting up BIOS for the first time, I noticed that there was no Disable/Enable ACPI under power management settings. After fiddling with hardware for two days, at last it struck my mind to disable acpi during Ubuntu install, which was a kernel boot parameter. Hm, installed fine (ok, Ubuntu was beta and failed one package). So a little net research, and found out how to disable ACPI during W2k and XP install. And , f-k you Jebus, XP installs and runs fine.
Manual shows ACPI options fine, but I know that manuals, BIOS revision etc. don't go hand in hand. So I wrote to Epox and asked about BIOS revision that has ACPI disabling. They had no idea and suggested to try older BIOSes.
So, what I want to know, is there anybody with 8RDA3(6)+ pro and ACPI control in BIOS (what rev BIOS)?
Tried one rev. older 8rda3+ bios and now I have merlin modded bios, all of which of course don't have ACPI on/off

Any suggestions are welcome. If in the end it turns out that I am blind and/or stupid, then I do apologize before hand

Take care
Old 22nd March, 2005, 02:33 AM

Well, at the beginning I had an Epox 8RDA3+ PRO rev1.2 and now I run rev1.4 - I've tried BIOSes from August, September and October plus the Merlin's one (based on the October's release) but I haven't seen any ACPI enable/disable option in any of the above BIOSes. At least strange, I would say, and not very OC-friendly, since disabling ACPI may help while overclocking (usually one can get higher FSB with ACPI disabled).

Is that spare disk SATA or PATA?

cheers /M
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2005, 08:54 AM

Cool

Well, all are PATA drives. I have not yet reached SATA technological age
~3GB Seagate, then changed it to ~10GB Quantum that now runs XP and 120GB WD, that is full of stuff and old OSes, that I don't monkey around with
Strange thing is, manual clearly states ACPI control. But manual states that it is about 8RDA+ pro, so maybe 3(6)+ pro series don't have such control.
And failsafe settings in BIOS didn't help my case too before I disabled ACPI during install.
Oh well, last night I checked my external USB2 hdd box, it worked, so this ACPI thing is the only gripe I have now.