AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd May, 2005, 09:08 PM

At least my second 9nda3 (J) is working flawlessly, don't need any more grief as the '73 Yamaha RD350 I spent 9 months restoring has just lost 15mm of compression ring and the ring frags are not in the exhaust pipe.
The first 9NDA3+ I had was killed by the extra long screws supplied with a XP-90 heatsink. Didnt consider getting an RMA from EPoX but I do believe they should elaborate on what issues justify approval of RMA, if any.
http://www.aircooled-rd.com/forum/pa...ay.asp?nID=475
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2005, 09:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No doubt inquiries concerning RMAs should be answered, but this is NOT the place to seek such answers.

ET is not entirely his own man while here. He must respect the policies of the company he works for as well as any Non-discloser agreements.

Once something has been asked, weather it receives and answer or no...That is where we must leave it if we wish to continue to enjoy ET's presence here at AOA.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2005, 11:52 PM
Steve Jobs

It may not have been a very good answer, but I just read your previous post.

Quote:
18/04/2005 12:58:33 Scratches appear from mounting , awaiting Epox instructions.
I might be wrong here, but that seams to be the answer to me. By scratches appear from mounting, I would guess they are saying that there are damaged PCB tracks that have been damaged by someone attempting to mount the motherboard in a case, where it has been harshly rubbed against the brass mounting standoffs.

Now, if EPoX has seen that there is damage on the back of the board, severe enough to penetrate the solder mask and damage the tracks, (keep in mind the boards are actually rather robust and can resist most minor screwdriver scratching) and it is in a position, and of a nature that is made by brass mounts scratching it, then the board was not installed correctly, or was manhandled during installation. Now, maybe, when those tracks were damaged, they kept operating, until you installed the new ram. When you install RAM in a mobo, you bend the board. Not your fault, its just the nature of the beast. Motherboards very often bend during installation, and have no problems for the most part. But what if, bending it loosened the tracks, or broke the tracks?

Makes a lot of sense to me, and that is just what popped into my head while I read your previous post. Ive damaged a TekRam MVP3 by installing an AGP card in it, when it had damaged solder joins on the back of the AGP slot, so Ive seen this first hand.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 4th May, 2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 4th May, 2005, 12:17 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooferWrecker
The facts are that Epox has deemed the warranty on my faulty 9NDA3+ void.
ET is not necessarily in a position to indicate what happened at what may be another EPoX subsiduary company. It may be that he does not have the necessary visibility to locate your specific RMA. Last time I checked, ET was not working for the UK subsiduary.

For what it's worth, I've also heard mutterings from some manufacturers about certain retailers and above average levels of RMA returns.
Old 4th May, 2005, 12:59 AM
Steve Jobs

To be honest I still think it has been answered.

Quote:
14/04/2005 15:26:16 Fault confirmed. Scratches on tracks on rear of motherboard. Sent to Epox.
At this stage the problem is clear. OvC have found bad traces on the back of the board and this is the problem that is preventing it from powering on. Following that, they sent it to EPoX

Quote:
17/04/2005 21:32:13 Any scratches anywhere on the motherboard were either caused during transit, or were already present on the board.
This is you telling them that any traces are not your fault, and that it came like that. I have no reason to doubt your honesty, however I know that I dont check the back of my board for scratches when I get it, and as far as I know you didnt know the scratches were there to start with, else you would have RMA'd it as a damaged product.

Quote:
18/04/2005 12:58:33 Scratches appear from mounting , awaiting Epox instructions.
Board is now at EPoX where they have deduced that the damage was done by brass mounting pins while being installed. This is *not* a difficult thing to do, even for a veteran system builder. You dont even feel or hear them scraping, and you cannot see the back of the board at all while installing it. Even being carefull, doesnt meant the board cannot be damaged during installation.

Quote:
25/04/2005 17:02:25 Motherboard has been deemed warranty void by Epox.
EPoX have denied your RMA request due to damage that must have been done accidentally (and it is easy to happen) to the PCB tracks, caused by a mounting standoff during mounting the board. It is not a manufacturing defect, therefore is not the manufacturer's fault.

That explains it for me at least and makes sense. Manufacturers have many reasons to deny warranty requests, and to be honest, this seams like a justified one. There is physical damage on the card, which simple cannot be done during manufacturing. And once it has been manufactured, the board is in a plastic sleeve, with a foam mat under it, so it cant be damaged in shipping.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 4th May, 2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 4th May, 2005, 01:20 AM

Cool

WooferWrecker
I fixed self-inflicted scratches on an old Iwill XP333R that were caused by very sloppy use of pliers while tightening down Alpha 8045 standoff nuts, by applying silver conductive grease with a toothpick. I can't say the board performed as well as it did before because making the conductors thicker or closer together around the cpu socket will change the impedence of adjacent circuits.
However, should you want to get the board back up, even rear window defroster repair paint is worth a try and obviously you have nothing to lose since the board is already floating belly-up.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 4th May, 2005, 03:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooferWrecker
People deserve to know why. I deserve to know why. If Epox treat me poorly, then I will post it in the Epox forums. ET is here because he wants to be here. I have not asked for any info that should be covered by NDA's. I simply want to know why MY Epox motherboard was deemed warranty void. the people where I bought the mobo haven't told me, and Epox hasn't told me.

I have seen people ask ET more than a few times about any number of issues or products, yet they don't get their posts deleted.

I have a right to speak the truthful facts, which is all I have done here.

The facts are that Epox has deemed the warranty on my faulty 9NDA3+ void. As of today, I have been given no reason why. I am out of pocket nearly € 180 . If that is not reason enough to be angry, or upset, then I don't know what is.

And if AoA forums is going to censor me for stating the facts, then I don't want to remain a part of it.

I don't appreciate you deleting my post, Daniel.
You have exactly those rights our topic rules afford you.

You can be as angry and as upset as you want to be. I have said that you deserve to know why. dsio has explained why. You don't have the right to badger ET for that answer. It violates our rules to do so.

Weather you decide to remain or go is up to you. To remain you must follow our rules. Your post was a clear violation of those rules.

Up to you to decide where in your true interests lie. Up to me to enforce the rules.

If we both do our jobs, there's no need for conflict.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th May, 2005, 06:49 AM
EPoX Tech

I will answer briefly and concisely here :-
  1. I cannot answer here as often as I wish atm due to time constraints.
  2. If an answer was left open ended it was merely due to the above.
  3. This forum is not the place to deliver any official stance on any single case for anyones washing to be done in public
  4. Is this the only 9NDA3+ that was ever RMA'd in the UK - is it that easy to find out why it was when you don't quote serial numbers etc ? Do I have the time to do such given the torrent that ensued above here ?
  5. Where I work now isn't for Actron - If I visit there that's upto me, and if I tell them what to do I can, but where I am or what I do is irrespective of any fact or outcome, and it is not my responsibility to inform you one way or the other as much as I wished I could or couldn't depending upon the individual case.
  6. Someone in the pre-test department with their vast amount of mainboard knowledge has deemed that the mainboard dies of non-natural causes and as such the PCB was rejected from RMA process - likely a scratch or short of some description outside of the remit of normal usage. A damage report would have been sent onto our customer for them to send onto their customer.
  7. I haven't read through this thread until this morning since last time I had a chance to answer and quite frankly I am rather upset by what I have read. Much finger pointing, very little abatement, and no effort to contact the company through the correct channels - is trying to blacken ones name in here the correct channel to excercise a grievance ?

Last edited by EPoX Tech; 4th May, 2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 4th May, 2005, 11:56 AM
AOA Staff

If you bought the board from overclock.co.uk then you need to be dealing with them directly. That's the agreement you entered into when you placed the order.

If you feel they aren't dealing with your problem correctly you would need to contact the Trading Standards office which is local to them, for advice.

If I were in dispute with a retailer I wouldn't be posting a running commentary on a technical or any other type of forum. I would consider it to be my own private business and confidential. But, that's your choice.
Old 8th May, 2005, 05:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You were censored for not knowing where to post such opinions, or rather knowing but not caring enough to avoid breaking our rules.

That said, I can only hope you change your mind, I've enjoyed your contributions. Be well.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th May, 2005, 08:12 PM
AOA Staff

I think what they are saying is that the board was damaged by way of scratches and it failed due to this whilst you had it.

The only way you could disprove that would be to have it tested yourself, to see if another technician can prove that the faliure was due to something else. If you can provide evidence of failure for which they would be responsible, you could then begin to recover your losses and costs.
Old 11th May, 2005, 09:18 PM
Steve Jobs

If you are good at working with electronics, you can try to repair the board yourself, or get someone else to repair it for you that you know. I dont know but possibly EPoX would do paid repairs on a board that was out of warranty as many other motherboard makers will repair their own boards for a fee after warranty has expired, if not then just about any electronics store could repair a damaged PCB. If the problem is scratches, then its a very simple thing to fix, and very cheap as well. The best option seams to be to just cut your losses and pay the few euros it will cost to fix the damaged tracks.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 12th May, 2005, 09:49 AM
EPoX Tech

Dear Sir,

I am quite positive that slurring the companies support structure in a user forum is not going to have a positive effect in gaining a FREE mainboard when one has been user damaged.
Old 12th May, 2005, 06:18 PM

OK Guys,

I have deleted all my negative posts. I am very sorry if I have upset or offended anyone in these forums, or at Epox. I realized that flaming the company is not the correct way to address my problem.

I simply over reacted. Epox support is the best I have used in my time working with computers.

Please forgive my ignorance, and accept my unreserved apology.

Sincerely,

WW
2 x 512MB OCZ PC3200LL DC Platinum Rev. 2 @ 2.5-3-10-3-1T / 2.8v / Slots 3 & 4
Powercolor Radeon X800 Pro VIVO S/M to X800XT PE @ 1.5v / 67MHz /CAT 5.1
2 x WD740GD (RAID0 Boot Volume) SATA 1 & 2
1 x WD1200JB (IDE 1)
Plextor PX-W 4012A / Samsung SD-616E (IDE 2)
OCZ Powerstream 520
Creative SB Audigy2
Old 12th May, 2005, 07:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Simple truth, it hurts to lose what we value, especially when we can't afford to replace it!!

I'm sorry this didn't find a solution that would have favored you more. Life SUCKS!

Be well WW.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 13th May, 2005, 12:36 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

It could be worse... Look at the things I've fried, without even a chance to RMA.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 13th May, 2005, 12:38 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
It could be worse... Look at the things I've fried
I try not to, it's scary in there!