AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th March, 2005, 05:47 PM

9NDA3+ Not Powering On!!!!!

Hi Gang,

Am in a bad way here... hope you all can help....

I bought some new memory today, OCZ PC4000 to be specific.

I powered the machine up, set bios to optimal defaults, rebooted, then shut the machine down and removed power from the system. I then removed my old memory (in sig) and installed the new stuff. I then restored power to the system and powered it on.

When I did, I got a 3 or 4 second beep, but it sounded sick... kinda broken and crackly. The post code read 7F. So powered down the system and checked that I hadn't unseated anything, namely the floppy (the code 7F according to the guy I spoke to at Actron) and the AGP card. All seemed fine. I tried to power up again, but this time holding down the insert key. Again, sick sounding beep, 7F code and nothing else. However, this time I noticed a burning smell, so I quickly shut the system down. When it was powerd off, the power LED continued to flash every second or so. I tried to look that up in the manual, but couldn't find any reference to it. I then removed power to the system again.

After a few minutes, I reinstalled my old memory and tried to power up, but this time, nothing happened. So at that point, I cleared the bios using the jumper and tried again, but nothing. The system is dead. And I am freaking out...

Has anyone had this kind of problem? Any ideas please, I would be really grateful...

TIA

WW
2 x 512MB OCZ PC3200LL DC Platinum Rev. 2 @ 2.5-3-10-3-1T / 2.8v / Slots 3 & 4
Powercolor Radeon X800 Pro VIVO S/M to X800XT PE @ 1.5v / 67MHz /CAT 5.1
2 x WD740GD (RAID0 Boot Volume) SATA 1 & 2
1 x WD1200JB (IDE 1)
Plextor PX-W 4012A / Samsung SD-616E (IDE 2)
OCZ Powerstream 520
Creative SB Audigy2

Last edited by WooferWrecker; 29th March, 2005 at 05:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2005, 06:39 AM

ouch

Does anything look burnt?

I "took care" of a friend's NF7 for him. As far as I can tell, he broke one of the DIMM clips off "somehow", so when he installed his shiny new Corsair PC3200, it didn't seat properly.

Leading to the smoking and the burning and the black spots on both the RAM and M/B.
Old 30th March, 2005, 07:12 AM

Im no expert but just out of curiosity could it have anything to do with trying to use PC4000 ram in a mobo that only support up to PC3200?Also have you investigated to where the "burning" smell was coming from?perhaps the power supply couldnt meet the requirments of the new RAM.I have heard of PSU's shorting out due to overloading it.
Old 30th March, 2005, 08:10 AM
EPoX Tech

OCZ Powerstream - I doubt that was insuficient for anything!

It was me you spoke to yesterday WooferWrecker - unfortunately whilst I was on another call. I was in the UK office after visiting a new customer near Leeds. It does sound as though possibly a MOSFET or spider is burnt out here.
Old 30th March, 2005, 10:23 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys... jnansley, there is no way I broke anything. The new ram snapped into place with just the right amount of effort. Looking at the ram, nothing appears to be broken, nor is there anything in the DINN sockets themselves. Although it does smell now... but as I didn't smell it before, I dont know if thats normal for new ram... but no, nothing looks burnt, at least as far as I can see. Good to hear from you again though! I strill owe you a beer from the last time you helped me out...

bhxtyrant, I have read many instances of people using ram thats rated higher than their mobo specifies, so I don't think that was an issue. And I truly have to belive that my power supply was not the culprit. Thank you for your feedback though.

Epox Tech, I appreciate the fact that you even spoke to me. People like me probaly do your head in on a minute by minute basis. Do you think that the rest of my system will be ok, namely the processor and AGP? I dont have another mobo to test anything in, as no one has one that I know of...

What could cause something like this to happen? I mean I had no issues running at the speeds in my sig,and them Wham! The system goes up in smoke after installing new ram??? I am really stumped.

So I guess the question is now, who can I send it to? That is, if it's under warranty... and if it is, will they fix it, or will I get one of the new revision 2 boards?

Thanks again for your input gang... it's great to hear from you all!
1 x WD1200JB (IDE 1)
OCZ Powerstream 520
Creative SB Audigy2

Last edited by WooferWrecker; 30th March, 2005 at 11:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2005, 11:07 AM

hi,

Did you try , power off on your psu --> push power on button --> change clear cmos jumper a few second --> Power on your psu --> push power on button.
PSU : Antec Truepower 480w
Old 30th March, 2005, 11:10 AM

Pt1t, yes, I tried all that... the system is completely dead

Thanks though!
1 x WD1200JB (IDE 1)
OCZ Powerstream 520
Creative SB Audigy2
Old 30th March, 2005, 11:14 AM

Got something similar with my 8kda3+ , In that case you stress for cpu , gfx ... ,
Try to find someone with A64 system to test all.

Epox changed it !
PSU : Antec Truepower 480w

Last edited by Pt1t; 30th March, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 30th March, 2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt1t
Got something similar with my 8kda3+ , In that case you stress for cpu , gfx ... ,
Yeah, I'm freaking out... I have no way to see if the rest of my components are ok....

I don't know anyone here in Ireland who 1) is crazy enough to spend as much money as I do on PC bits and 2) who has an A64 system at all here....

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh hh!
1 x WD1200JB (IDE 1)
OCZ Powerstream 520
Creative SB Audigy2

Last edited by WooferWrecker; 30th March, 2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 30th March, 2005, 01:41 PM

ET, what do you think could cause this kind of problem?

Do I need to send it back to Epox, as it was purchased on 10/11/04?

I have never RMA'd a board, so I'm a bit unsure.. Can you give me any advice... please?????

Thanks again..
Old 30th March, 2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooferWrecker
Good to hear from you again though! I strill owe you a beer from the last time you helped me out...
You must have a better memory than me

When I've been in that situation in the past, I've always ended up buying a "test" board, using it to test my (memory/video/CPU), and then shipping the original board off (or not).

One way or another, this ends up with you paying for a second motherboard that will be gathering dust unless you can put it to good use.

And Socket A parts are a lot cheaper than 939.

Of course, the alternative is RMA'ing a possibly working board, resulting in embarrassment and wasted time (and you'll probably be irritating some Epox Tech somewhere.)

Funny story, the way I ended up with the 8RDA3I that's now in my wife's computer is that I was looking for the cheapest possible "test" board when my 8RDA+ caps started leaking... and the 8RDA3I was something like $2 more than the Shuttle poop. And then, I had a second motherboard that I had paid for gathering dust... was it advice that you wanted?
Old 30th March, 2005, 02:32 PM

"Although it does smell now... but as I didn't smell it before, I dont know if thats normal for new ram... but no, nothing looks burnt, at least as far as I can see."

Smell=Burned=Short.

A smell is not normal and "something" shorted "somehow". And please don't ask me how I know because the memories are too painful.

y2kpm
OCZ PC4000 2x1024MB EB Platinum Edition
Seasonic S12 600w
Lian Li PC-60 USB
NEC 3540A DVD/RW
Leadtek PX6800GT TDH 256MB
1 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB ATA-133
2 x WD Caviar SE SATA-150 160gb RAID 0
Lynx LynxTwo-A (4 In, 4 Out)
Event Studio Precision 8 Monitors
Tannoy PS 110-B Subwoofer
2 x AG Neovo F-419 (R12) 19" Monitors
Saitek Eclipse LED Lighted Keyboard
Old 30th March, 2005, 11:43 PM

Missing screw just crying to be found?
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 1st April, 2005, 11:41 AM

Hi jnansley,

I think I got you confused for jlccarv on the whole beer thing... Sorry bout that, buy hey, as you are helping me out here, I still owe youa beer...lol

y2kpm, I am inclined to agree with you. The good news is that I can get the memory replaced if it is shot. I will testit as soon as possible...

bETAbILLY, when I removed the mobo from the case, I was looking for a screw as you suggested, but there was nothing in the case, hell there was hardly any dust even... I am at a complete loss as to why this has happened.

I can only hope that my processor is ok...

I have applied for an RMA so we will see...

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it!
1 x WD1200JB (IDE 1)
OCZ Powerstream 520
Creative SB Audigy2
Old 3rd April, 2005, 06:38 AM

My 9nda3+ died tonight, was in one hell of a firefight in Brothers in Arms and the dam thing just reset....to "FF" no matter what I did. Back on my dodgy NF7.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda

Last edited by bETAbILLY; 3rd April, 2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 3rd April, 2005, 11:21 AM

Sheesh bETAbILLY,

That sucks... any thoughts at to what may have caused it?

What revision was yours? Mine was 1.X.
Old 3rd April, 2005, 05:28 PM

Mine is 1x but I think what caused the death of my 9NDA3+ was the Thermalright XP90 I installed last week, The mounting screws supplied are a tad too long, and were bottoming out on the mainboard tray, that caused the PCB to bend and in a short time might have broken a circuit trace. I wonder if a 2X version is a better replacement or should I just stay with my NF7-S (my beloved 8RDA+ has no SATA ports) until a real NF3 with good OB sound and lan comes around.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 3rd April, 2005, 06:14 PM

I personally think the Epox boards are pretty good... Would you not be better off seeing if you can RMA the board, and get a new revision 2x... Surely you must be able to find slightly smaller screws for your heatsink....

Which I was wondering by the way how does the XP-90 perform?
Old 4th April, 2005, 12:17 AM

I got the board from newegg, the way they have been turning down RMA requests on boards I will prolly have to deal with EPoX for the RMA and maybe get another (someone elses) v1.x.

Quote:
I was wondering by the way how does the XP-90 perform?
First the positive remarks:
After finally getting the XP90 to fit, I could not get the cpu temp over 49c, no matter how hard I loaded the system.

Now for the not so positive:
The XP90 is way too big, although it does fit the board, I had to turn it around because there was not enough room in my case for my SATA hard drives, the SATA cable plugs stick out of the back of the drives too far. So now the ATA and 12v molex is under the expanded fin area that should have been over the dimms. Also at close inspection, I could see light shining though the tunnels that the heat pipes reside in the heatsink base. It would be more reassuring if the heat pipes were completely soldered to the base.
Frankly, it's a cheaply manufacturered pile of nickel plate and when I get the board back together, I assure you it will have my old copper ThermalTake Silent Boost with the 48 cfm fan I bought for the XP90.The 1 inch screws supplied for the AMD conversion mount have brought on a real headache.

For pics clicky here
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda

Last edited by bETAbILLY; 4th April, 2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 8th April, 2005, 06:26 AM

Talking YEP ME TOOO 9NDA3+ DEAD on boot up

Came home one day after months of using this board and POOF! touched the PLASTIC!! CASE SWITCH TO BOOT IT UP AND POOF! NADA ZIP!

Did all the tests traded out all parts to test the mobo. its flat out fried! no hardware issues board was smoked? dead as in doornail!

RMA'd two EPOX boards back in the last month. the other a NF2. which was really sweet with a XP3200 FAST! nice match! but that no went FF on me?

And its a long haul to get the RMA done? i am going on 12 days now. but Epox states they have the best turn around time? not sure about that? as a year or so ago only other board i have had to RMA was a FIC AU13. it was a fast turn around week and a half.

Seems i'll never learn though? should wait months before the buying a new market board. as the early reviews always favor the boards? not eough reviews, not enough people owning them is a issue. not until major issues appear should i buy.That will be my NEW rule! seems it never fails for me? Next time i'll wait to buy any mobo. wait for months till the REAL bugs surface!

One other thing i did find that there are caps on this board that are listed on the bad cap list ( if only i had saved that link?) Hermi caps listed as bad on te net, and they are on this board what rev.? not sure? anyone know if their newer rev. mobos had these caps? ( HERMI )

When i asked Epox techs if revisions matter they said no? i don't get it? why revise a mobo than? are they just blowin' smoke up my A--?

Well it ran GREAT! really sweet with a Winchester 3200 and all the trimmings! Dual 2-2-2 PQI, 6800GT OC, top end enermax PSU, WD RAPTOR, Plextor dual16X DVD........and ran COOL as well with the 1/2 copper base swifty HS with a 92mm torando at near idle at just a hum.

it just crapped out! still waiting on a replacement and the why of it all?

even checked the case switch. its no fault of any hardware thats for sure, ground either. i think its a weak board has bad caps or some other device.

check this out one cap near the cpu socket was loose? and that was a HERMI cap. could slide it up and down? NOT GOOD! dare tell the techs at Epox? Nope! ammo for them fur sure.

so they just blow me off with this and that? now its the newer revision boards don't matter Epox says? sounds like a crock to me! but what am i suppose to know? i only build'em, and test'em for them ( general johnny public.)

i feel used and abused. imagine swapping out all your hardware case and all to test the mobo? OH ya you should see the list of things they ask the average to do? i was amazed! but of course as a builder i had already done all they asked THREE TIMES OVER! with THREE TIMES THE QUALITY PARTS I OWN! gezzzzzz

OK its a killer mobo for sure. but gee wiz can i get one that will last a few months? wht a real pain in the arse this will be to have to load it up again

oh yea needs a Bios flash right away simple stuff. and is picky on the Dimm slots. and the SATA 1 connection is too close to use its tight! can be used but it will hit your BFG 6800GT for sure!

will post once i find out why it crapped out. that is if they shoot straight with me? which i doubt? i wonder what line or liene i'll get as the reason why it died? if any we'll see....