AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th April, 2005, 05:10 PM

New 9NDA3+ causing me problems

Just rec'vd 9NDA3+ and Venice 3800+ cpu.

On powering up all the fans manage about 1 turn each and then nothing the MB appears dead. I have to switch the psu of then on again, and if I'm lucky I might get another couple of turns from the fans.

The led has shown FF for about a nano second and acording to the manual this could be a dud board.

Anybody got any ideas? Could it just be that I need the latest bios for the venice cpu (but then how could I update if the thing wont post in the first place?). Is an RMA in order?

All I have plugged into the board at the moment is a Galaxy 6800gt, 1 sata drive , 2X512 mb ocz pc3200, 1floppy and 1 cd rw drive.

Any help apprieciated.

Thx.
Old 26th April, 2005, 05:16 PM

try reversing the polarity of your case switches, probably the power button

then try clearing the bios as it describes in the manual

go to one RAM stick in slot 3 or 4 (away from CPU)
Old 26th April, 2005, 05:24 PM
AOA Staff

What PSU are you using?
Old 26th April, 2005, 06:25 PM

try running the board outside the case.
Old 26th April, 2005, 06:47 PM

Tried reversing switches and one stick of ram but still have the same problem.

If I unplug everything including gfx and cpu fan , the same happens but I get a very short high pitched beep.

Psu is a generic 360w. That and the case is all thats left from a mesh system I bought about 2 yrs ago when I knew no better. Would my new board, cpu and cooler draw a significant amount of extra pwr ?

Ram, gfx are fine in another system.
Old 26th April, 2005, 07:46 PM

Just tried mb outside the case same problem.
Old 26th April, 2005, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff

The PSU may not be up to the job. These boards do need good quality PSU's. A reputable branded 360w one would be fine, but I'd have my doubts over a generic 360w PSU.

Don't disconnect the CPU fan for any reason. It doesn't draw that much power.

The beep may be indicating that the fan is not present. It does indicate that the board has some life in it.

Try it with just CPU only. See what code appears on the LED port.

Then try with CPU and RAM only. See what code is displayed now.

Check the manual to see if it is reporting the status codes you would expect.
Old 26th April, 2005, 08:47 PM

Tried just the cpu and fan, nothing else in the board nothing else connected to the psu and the same thing. No beep a couple of turns of the fan and just a brief flash from the led of FF then nothing. The board only seems to have pwr in it for an instant.

Does that seem like the psu not up to the job ? (it must be really crap). It managed to cope with the old sys 3200 barton, a78nx2.0, 2XHD,1XCD,1Xdvd,1Xfloppy,Audigy 2zs and a load of other bits.

Just need to check before I rush out and blow more money tomorrow.
Old 27th April, 2005, 07:00 PM
AOA Staff

Hopefully a new PSU will sort it. To be honest you would be better with a new one even if it isn't at the root of this particular problem. These boards do need a good quality supply.
Old 27th April, 2005, 08:59 PM

Yeah your right, been skimping on the pwr for too long now.

Enermax Noisetaker 485w arriving tomorrow.

Last edited by Std Speed; 27th April, 2005 at 09:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th April, 2005, 12:43 PM

New PSU arrived today, great piece of kit, almost silent, variable speed fan control, sata connectors etc. Mobo not working though......bugger.

On the upside though, I removed the processor. The mobo pwrs up fine, fans spin, FF on led etc.

So am I right in thinking either the processor is borked (all pins are there and intact) or the board has been shipped without the latest bios. The 9ND35401.bin is the latest and included support for rev. E chips ie. the Venice I'm trying to get up and running. Or is there a major prob with the board ?

My problem is how am I gonna get the bios updated if I cant get the thing running in the first place. No, I dont have a spare s939 proc. to use to update it.

Thanks for persevering with me, steep learning curve but I think I'm starting to get somewhere.

Thx in advance.
Old 28th April, 2005, 04:01 PM

You can order bios chips flashed with the latest and greatest and a removal tool from EPoX's site.
Old 28th April, 2005, 04:11 PM
AOA Staff

I'd suggest filling-out this form:
http://www.epox.org/cms/index.php?op...sk=view&id=135

I was under the impression that the board should boot with a Rev. E chip even with an earlier BIOS. I may be wrong though. Epox must know!
Old 28th April, 2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I'd suggest filling-out this form:
http://www.epox.org/cms/index.php?op...sk=view&id=135

I was under the impression that the board should boot with a Rev. E chip even with an earlier BIOS. I may be wrong though. Epox must know!

Would E.T. please confirm if a rev. E cpu will boot with a previous bios release on the 9nda3j/+....................PLEASE
Old 29th April, 2005, 12:43 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer
Would E.T. please confirm if a rev. E cpu will boot with a previous bios release on the 9nda3j/+....................PLEASE
Yes it should boot regardless of the BIOS version!
Old 8th May, 2005, 08:32 AM

I have the exact same problem as the original poster with the Epox ep-9nda3+ and a venice 3800+. The motherboard just won't work with the venice cpu installed. I went over to a friend to test the cpu and motherboard and my venice cpu works on his MSI board, and his older winchester 3500+ works on my epox board. Flashed the board to the latest bios with the winchester on it, but it did nothing, still doesn't work with the venice. I'm returning the board and getting a MSI instead that I know will work.
Old 8th May, 2005, 11:21 AM
AOA Staff

Your board is most likely faulty.
Old 8th May, 2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Your board is most likely faulty.
Yes, but strangely enough it works perfectly with the 3500+ winchester. I would expect it to not work at all with any CPU if it is faulty.

I bought the motherboard online so if they want to send me another 9nda3+ they'll have to test it with a venice 3800+ first because I don't want to go through the hassle of sending back yet another motherboard if it turns out to be something wrong with this model. Otherwise they'll have to send me the MSI model I tested the venice CPU with at my friend's place, because obviously I know that one works.
Old 10th May, 2005, 07:20 PM

I've been on holiday for a week, but I'm expecting a replacement board in the next few days. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but its sort of nice to know I'm not the only one. My only fear now is that it may not be the board but the processor causing the problems.
Old 10th May, 2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:
My only fear now is that it may not be the board but the processor causing the problems.
My 3800+ worked flawlessly on the MSI board for at least 10 minutes, and since our problems are exactly the same, I think it's unlikely there's anything wrong with your processors either.

Luckily enough, the RMA department of the online shop where I bought the board from was located only about 400 meters from where I work so I walked over there with it in person today. I'll keep you updated as well on how it turns out.