AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th May, 2005, 05:38 PM

9NDA3J PCI & PS/2 Issues

I have an EPoX EP-9NDA3J and overall I'm very satisfied with it both from a stability point of view and performance. There are however two niggling issues with it.

1) Keyboard gets frozen when using KVM. I use a Roline KVM and I lose the keyboard at various times:
- During games; it will just be "stuck" i.e. in GTA:VC the car will just keep going forward. After a while it recovers.
- During POST after soft-off; no response at all and have to manually cut power
- During POST after completely off; certain keys respond (i.e. I can enter the BIOS with DEL and move down, but not up with the cursor keys).
If I connect the keyboard directly to the PS/2 port on the motherboard it works fine. But the KVM has also worked fine on 4 other machines, and they have also been using +5VSB standby power.

2) PCI Slot 5 interrupt problems. If I plug my Audigy 2 ZS into the last PCI slot (#5) I have excessively high CPU usage (constant 100%) which when examined with SysInternals Process Explorer is from Hardware Interrupts. This appears to be occuring before Windows too because Windows XP Setup took around 2 hours to complete. There are event log entries related to this problem:
Quote:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ACPI
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6
Date: 07/04/2005
Time: 21:09:48
User: N/A
Computer: NEXUS
Description:
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 11, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 06 00 05 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
If I put a TV card in slot 5 I don't see the interrupt problem but the system freezes when the device is started (i.e. drivers are installed). Every other PCI slot works fine as does everything else on the board.
Old 13th May, 2005, 06:03 PM
AOA Staff

The Audigy cards do seem to be problematic on nf3/4 boards.

See here for example (from post #11) onwards:
pci x1 cards?
Old 16th May, 2005, 07:21 AM

Do you think that this is normal behaviour then - i.e. the board isn't faulty?

I had the keyboard problems again this morning. Last night, I shut down but left power connected. When I powered up this morning, nothing except for the DEL, Down, Enter, Num Lock and Scroll Lock keys worked. All three keyboard lights would flash every so often. When I switched to my other PC the keyboard was functionin fine.
Old 16th May, 2005, 10:24 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If, when you plug the keyboard in directly there's no issues, then it would suggest that the KVM is causing the problem. Previous experience with 'intelligent' KVMs has suggested that they can cause problems. It might be worth contacting the vendor of the KVM to see what they suggest.

ACPI issues can be caused by too many things - properly working ACPI requires the BIOS, the hardware (ACPI is partly hardware) and the drivers to operate together correctly. An issue in any one of them will cause odd things to occur. I assume you've tried the latest BIOS update for the board?
Old 19th May, 2005, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. It is definately some sort of initialisation problem between the EP-9NDA3J and the KVM. I can repro the problem everytime by booting from S5 soft-off. Full off to boot works fine.

When it fails, the keyboard lights (all three) flash twice, once just as the system begins to POST and again during POST and if left long enough it will flash every so often.

When it works, the keyboard lights flash just the once during POST.

I can live without the KVM but it would be nice to know why it doesn't work with this particular motherboard.
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:39 PM

Regarding the bad interrupts with the last PCI slot, I've had someone today with the exact same problem with the 9NDA3J, but using a TechnoTrend DVB-T tuner. With the card in slot 5 the CPU would sit at 100%. Moving it to slot 4 resolved the problem.

So does the last PCI slot simply not work on these boards?
Old 1st August, 2005, 12:27 AM

is normal that not all pci slot works. becorse they will share some IRQ.
download sisoftsandre and look under IRQ then you can se what is share IRQ.
Audigy 2 ZS has to have is own IRQ or it will crash the system it the same for gfx.
lan.sata controler etc can normal share IRQ.
Old 1st August, 2005, 12:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BarrySWE Send a message via MSN to BarrySWE

my sb audigy 2 zs works great on last pci port.
| Antec PlusView 1000AMG | OCZ Modsteam 520W | Epox 9npa+ Ultra rev 1.1| AMD64 3800+ (venice) + TT Silent boost K8 | G.Skills 2*1024MB | Gainward 7800GT | 36GB WD Raptor S-ATA 8MB cache | 500GB Hitachi S-ATA II 16MB Cache NCQ | Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic | ND-3520A | | Logitech MX518 + UltraX Flat keyboard | LG L1915S 19" TFT 12ms |
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2005, 08:35 AM

Right now the Audigy 2 ZS is sharing both an interrupt line and a APIC IRQ and there are no problems. In the problematic slot there is no sharing at all yet it just doesn't work.

So either
- there is a faulty batch of EPoX EP-9NDA3J boards in the UK
- there is some kind of difference between the 3+ and the 3J
- there is a difference between 1.x and 2.x PCBs that cause this (didn't you say yours was a 1.x BarrySWE?)

Last edited by CX23882-19; 1st August, 2005 at 08:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!