AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2005, 04:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BarrySWE Send a message via MSN to BarrySWE

Venice vs Winchester CPU "MEMORY"???

Yes, i have an Epox EP-9NDA3+
but with 4*512MB i can't run at 400MHZ only 333MHZ..
but if i change to a VENICE CPU, can i use 400MHZ on memory then?
Is the memory controller better with venice?
| Antec PlusView 1000AMG | OCZ Modsteam 520W | Epox 9npa+ Ultra rev 1.1| AMD64 3800+ (venice) + TT Silent boost K8 | G.Skills 2*1024MB | Gainward 7800GT | 36GB WD Raptor S-ATA 8MB cache | 500GB Hitachi S-ATA II 16MB Cache NCQ | Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic | ND-3520A | | Logitech MX518 + UltraX Flat keyboard | LG L1915S 19" TFT 12ms |
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2005, 04:29 PM

I may be wrong but I beleive that that has to do with your mobo and changing your CPU will not make a difference.
Old 14th May, 2005, 04:53 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
AMD engineers promised to eliminate this problem in the new Venice core and they did keep their word. Athlon 64 processors based on Venice can work with four single-side DDR400 SDRAM modules without any limitations, and if there are double-side DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs installed, they can work at 400MHz with 2T timing.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-venice_3.html
Old 14th May, 2005, 05:00 PM

Well as usual I was wrong
Old 14th May, 2005, 05:10 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Some Venice CPu's will not run this, however, while some will run 1t. Ther is also a coldbug...so the temp sensor is shoddy as well.
Old 14th May, 2005, 05:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly15
Well as usual I was wrong
Easy mistake to make though. The Athlon64 is differant than other processors. Amd included the memory controller on the die it's self, which is probably one of the best advances since L2 cache was moved to the die. It allows very low latency memory access, and benefits bandiwdth as well, unlike intel who's FSB has the same bandiwdth as the memory is capable of or less, AMD has the memory channels, and the HT bus, putting it in a very comfortable position as far as bandwidth is concerned.
Of course it is not without downsides, and one being reliability with certain configurations, especially involving double sided dimms and large amounts of memory

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!