AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2005, 09:51 PM

Angry EP-8RGMI died changing the FSB

Right when you reboot and the screen says "updating do not turn off"

Now I get nothing. What a crappy way to design a board.

Is there a way to recover?
Old 14th May, 2005, 10:02 PM

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Old 15th May, 2005, 12:39 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

were you flashing the bios??

IF yes, a hot swap of the bios chip should do it... Get a replacement bios, or borrow one for the procedure.
Old 16th May, 2005, 10:30 AM

I don't think it's a problem with the design of the board more the design of the nForce2 chipset and the way it stores CMOS settings. I don't know how much truth there is in this but it has been said that the CMOS doesn't have sufficient space to store all of the data for the nForce2 so it uses part of the BIOS chip as well. If you set an invalid FSB speed (i.e. one that your hardware isn't capable of) it will fail to write the CMOS settings and you end up with a corrupt BIOS.

It may be that it's not actually corrupt but that the FSB data is stored on the BIOS chip, and so resetting the CMOS doesn't clear this (and so you're stuck with the high FSB). If your board has a 100MHz FSB override jumper, you may be able to recover, else you will need a new BIOS chip (or hot flash).
Old 16th May, 2005, 10:35 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The issue is that certain parameters have to be set on the chipset before the CPU is up and running. This means storing them in the flash instead of the CMOS. Settings in the CMOS are good for when the CPU is up and running though.

It has been the Achilles’ heel for the nForce 2 chipset. Newer BIOSes are better at avoiding it. Older BIOSes tend to kill themselves, especially if you attempt to write to them when already overclocked.
Old 16th May, 2005, 03:23 PM
EPoX Tech

What a terrible board design and BIOS - the same modules as the 8RDA+ - no wonder we sold so few.
Old 16th May, 2005, 03:57 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

LOL

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2005, 05:05 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
What a terrible board design and BIOS - the same modules as the 8RDA+ - no wonder we sold so few.
I was looking for a long time to have the opportunity to say a few words to ET.

First. I am very upset because I have an old 8RDA+ REV1 that doesn't want to go. I figure it's time to go A64 now. I saw 5 caps looking ugly and replace them in hope that somehow the board will die. Not only that it didn't but now I can go to 200*11, before I could only go to 200*10. So my Barton 2500 is running now @ 2200Mhz and show as XP 3200. When I got the board (3 years ago I think) my friend had a new Abit NF7s2 that in it's first day goes dead just when the ugly message turn in. I wish nvidia would have done something 4 us not to see that message. MAny years has passed by the way and many stupid and careless settings my 8RDA had seen and is still running like heaven !!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2005, 08:34 PM

8rda's are great boards ive had 2, a rev 1 that somehow I killed the onboard sound when I did the vdd mod and a rev 2.2 which I still use. Very stable and reliable
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:35 PM

It is not only a problem on the 8rda boards. A friend of mine owns an Asus A7N8X deluxe. He had to do a hotflash here (my brother has the same board) because he had tried to set an fsb that failed. It may have a bad bios implementation but that does not mean it is a bad board. Though tbh i would have never bought a board from a company that would have had these bad caps.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21