AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st June, 2005, 04:50 PM

Epox 9NPA+ error code

When I boot up the computer, the bios screen is displayed as a load of garbled text on the screen, i cannot make out any of the BIOS options. On the motherboard the error code "7F" is displayed on the LED. Bearing in mind this is a brand new built computer without xp installed, how can I fix this problem?

GPU : Gainward GeForce 6600GT
RAM : 2 x 512MB TwinMOS RAM
CPU : Athlon XP 64 3200+ w/ stock cooler
Old 1st June, 2005, 06:21 PM
AOA Staff

I think "7F" relates to the board trying to display the epox logo.

Is the display garbled as soon as you switch on or after a few moments?
Old 1st June, 2005, 06:26 PM

When i switch it on, the epox logo displays, but there are small vertical lines running down the screen. When it displays the BIOS menu, the text is illegible and i do not know what to do. All components in this computer are new.
Old 1st June, 2005, 09:26 PM
AOA Staff

Have you got a spare graphics card to try?
Old 1st June, 2005, 09:50 PM

no, well no pci-express card anyway. do you think it could be the graphics card?
Old 2nd June, 2005, 02:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

7F is a hard code to decipher. IT can mean any number of things. I got it a while back on an 8K3A+ when I had a bad floppy and boot up floppy seek was enabled. It could be a bad video card, but IIRC, it can also be related to the PSU. Please give the full details of your setup and any trouble shooting you have done.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2005, 08:15 AM

As i said earlier, this is a completely new build, all components are new. The specs are:
GPU : Gainward GeForce 6600GT
RAM : 2 x 512MB TwinMOS RAM
CPU : Athlon XP 64 3200+ w/ stock cooler
PSU : Antec Neopower 480W
HDD : Maxtor Diamondmax 10 200GB
DVD Drive : NEC 3540A
Wireless : C-Net Wireless-G PCI card
No Floppy Drive

I haven't been able to do much troubleshooting because i do not have a spare pci-e graphics card or other compatible motherboard. But i have tried to swap around the memory, but when i have only one stick of memory in i get the C1 error. When i replace the memory it goes back to normal. I am going to try fiddling about with it some more today.
Old 2nd June, 2005, 11:57 AM
AOA Staff

Maybe you can borrow an old PCI graphics card from someone, not PCIe but old PCI.
Old 2nd June, 2005, 01:30 PM

You can try to boot the system without C-Net Wireless-G PCI card (or reinstall it to other PCI slot). In some cases such cards (PCI) may cause conflicts with graphic card.
More, you can check if CPU cooler installed properly (especially thermal interface) to exclude CPU overheating as a reason of bug.
Old 2nd June, 2005, 02:02 PM

i have tried booting it without the wireless card and it makes no difference, and i have checked and double checked the cpu cooler is seated right. If it wasnt seated right the computer would shut down soon after switching it on because the cpu would quickly overheat.
Old 2nd June, 2005, 05:11 PM

OK... here is another thought.
http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_sp_ddr400.htm
says that TwinMOS memory modules voltage is 2,6V +/- 0.2V.
9NPA manual shows 2.5V DDR DIMMs support. Could it be the reason?
Old 2nd June, 2005, 06:16 PM

Has this happened to anyone else before? I have never heard of this kind of thing happening what with all the overclocking options on modern motherboards. With a decent psu, wouldnt the memory get all the power it needs? Maybe you are right, i will try some different memory in the meantime. Thanks to all that have replied to my posts, and hopefully we can get this damn thing to work!