AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th February, 2002, 09:20 PM

Angry 8K7A-Cannot Flash BIOS

My 8K7A came with the July BIOS, and I am trying to upgrade to the October 17 one to get support for the SSE instructions. I created a DOS startup disk using WinXP, and I extracted the file I got from the epox download site. I booted with the disk and ran the update command. However, I get a bunch of red blocks on the screen indicating write failed. I was able to fash back to the original July BIOS. I tried every BIOS on epox's site, and the only one that works in the July BIOS. I have tried many different floppy drives, disks and cables. Anyhelp would be appreciated! Also, another problem that I am having is that I cannot boot the computer with the CPU fan connected to the motherboard's fan header. The CPU fan will turn on, but I get the FF code, and no output to the monitor.

My components are:

Epox 8K7A
Floppy drive
ATI Radeon 7500
Duron 1.1 GHz
Old 18th February, 2002, 07:03 PM

What other comps in there? FF means good post...
Old 18th February, 2002, 09:16 PM

actually, there are no other components. i took everything out to flash the bios. also, i figured out why the comp wouldn't work with the cpu fan plugged into the fan header. my fan has a very low rpm, and i guess the bios felt that it was malfunctioning because it couldn't pick up a rpm reading.
Old 18th February, 2002, 09:40 PM

So, did it flash successfully???
Old 18th February, 2002, 09:47 PM

No, only the fan problem was fixed, i still cannot flash.
Old 18th February, 2002, 11:08 PM

I'm thinking you have a defective bios chip. Request a new one from Epox. I remember reading about a similar problem and solution a while back. Lets see if we can get the Epox Tech involved.