AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th February, 2002, 08:33 PM

Question Epox 8k7a+ cold boot problem

Ever since purchasing my Epox 8k7a+ (Rev 1.0) motherboard I have had problems when cold-booting.

Upon attempting to boot, the motherboard LEDS automatically goes to "FF" and nothing else happens, if I depress the case power button for 5-seconds and then power-up again the system will boot-up normally.

I have to use this method whenever I wish to run my system, many months ago I was in contact with both my dealer and also Epox Support in Holland who were both very helpful.

It was suggested that my problems lay with the Enermax EG451P-VE PSU that I was using the +5v line used to drop as low as 4.81v, I did not bother changing the PSU at the time and continued to boot-up using my usual procedure.

Well recently I have got fed-up of booting my system in this manner and decided to upgrade the PSU and have now fitted a Sam Cheer 420Watt CWT ATX PSU (which is a rebadged Sonitech/Channel Well Technology PSU).

Despite fitting this PSU I still have the cold-boot problem!!! The +5v does not drop below 5.95v under load and the +12v reading is also very good. Once the system is up and running it is extremely stable and my system is not overclocked.

Does anyone know if there is a recognised 'power' problem on Rev 1.0. boards?

Or are there any tips or suggestions as to what might be causing this cold-boot problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers - PierreHead
Old 18th February, 2002, 11:09 PM

Do you have an LPT printer attached??? If so, remove it and try again.
Old 18th February, 2002, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the printer, at the moment I do not have any printer connected.

Apart from my modem all other devices such as scanner, keyboard, mouse and 'digital' radio are USB devices used with Win2000 Pro SP2 and these function perfectly as does the rest of the system once it is up-and-running.

When I was using WinME as the operating system I still had problems when cold booting, the concensus of opinion was that a new PSU would be the cure-all!

I have tried booting the system with various cards removed, i.e: D-Link Nic and Turtle Beach Soundcard and it makes no difference as regards the boot-up. Have also removed all USB devices prior to attempting a cold-boot and this also has no effect.

It is an odd problem.

I am just trying to find out if this type of problem is confined to the rev 1.0 board or whether it also affects later revisions.

PierreHead
Old 19th February, 2002, 02:39 AM

I'm thinking its just your board. Try giving it an RMA.