AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2005, 09:03 AM

San Diego 3700+ OCing problems...

Many people have hit 2.8 - 2.9Ghz no prb, but mine seems to be stuck at 2.75Ghz @ 1.65v. I've already even seen 2 examples of people hitting 2.8Ghz with the same steppings on the CPU as i do. I have burned in my CPU and tried it with all the basics by lowering FSB and ram timings like 2T etc but still it is not stable anything above 2.75Ghz. Giving it more juice to CPU solved nothing. 2.8 - 2.85Ghz i can boot into windows, but when i run CSS or any game, it will freeze after 5-10min into the game. 2.9 - 2.94Ghz it will POST but can't load windows. Temperatures are below 60C under load below 2.8Ghz, any ideas? I'm thinking my system needs more power because although my power supply is a nice one at 400w, maybe it cannot fuel everything because of the higher clock speeds? I have tried to boot from one IDE HD and tried OCing into the 2.8Ghz Range and still no luck. Could it be my motherboard holding me back ? My goal is to reach between 2.8 and 2.9Ghz. The amazing thing was my Winchester 3000+ can do 2.62Ghz (9 x 291 HTT) and any higher it would crash. Where as now im stuck @ 275 HTT and can
t reach the possible limits of this CPU. My board can do 300+ HTT easy. As i have read the other post....BIOS fix needed?

Thx

System Specs:

Sparkle 400w PS
San Diego 3700+ CABGE 0516WPMW @ (2.75Ghz 1.65v)
ThermalRight XP-120
Alpha Copper base Chipset Cooler
OCZ PC4200 Platinum DC 1GB @ (229Mhz 2-3-3-5 1T)
Epox 9NDA3j (Latest BIOS) ---- @ 10x 275 HTT
ATI X800 Pro VIVO w/ 16Pipes
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
2 x WD Raptor 36.7GB (RAID 0)
WD ATA100 250GB
Sony DVD/CD RW
--8 Fans--
Old 29th June, 2005, 11:54 AM
Member/Contributer

There is a chance the psu is to blame, though it's hard to rule out, sprkle aren't really a great brand quality wise, but you could be disapointed sticking an enermax or something in and still having no more luck

Does lowering the multiplier allow a higher HT speed?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
There is a chance the psu is to blame, though it's hard to rule out, sprkle aren't really a great brand quality wise, but you could be disapointed sticking an enermax or something in and still having no more luck

Does lowering the multiplier allow a higher HT speed?
I tried 9 x 306 - 310 HTT and it is just a little bit higher than 2.75Ghz and it will crash. I have tried 9x - 11x multipliers. I have LDT set at 3x and under the 1000Mhz all the time. I did purchase a new OCZ 520w ModStream PSU and should be coming in. I got one just to be on the safe side. I did try to unplug those power hungry Raptors and disabled my RAID plus my WD 250GB HD and still i couldn't get any higher. I only had 1 40GB HD to boot from when doing my testing. I guess will try for 2.8Ghz again when i install my new PSU. I'm thinking it might be the motherboard BIOS too after reading someone suspecting it because of his HTT speed with a Winnie and also couldn't get it back to the same speed after installing a Rev E. CPU Venice or San Diego. Also Tomshardwareguide.com reported something is still wrong with some motherboards running with Rev .E CPUs after the BIOS update. Something to do with memory timings and the updated memory controller of Rev. E CPUs.

Thx!!!!
Old 29th June, 2005, 06:40 PM

Oops , it wasn't tomshardwareguide, it was anandtech.com here is the article http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2457
Old 30th June, 2005, 11:32 PM

Installed New OCZ ModStream 520w PSU but still nothing stable pass 2.75Ghz . Just going to have to wait for answers from forums or maybe my CPU is a dud.... ,wish i had another motherboard to try it on heh .