AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July, 2005, 03:01 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Only 161Mhz fsb on a xp3000+

Ive had alot of problems with my system ever since i built it.
The problem was: i couldnt run high spec games and test programs without my pc crashing.

To start off with i thought it was a cooling problem, tried installing new case fans and gpu fans to increase cooling, but still it crashed!!

Then i thought it was one of my conponents failing, So i tested ram,graphics card,cpu on a different mobo, everything came up good, but when it was back together it still crashed!

Then as a last resort i bought a new psu, just incase a lack of power was the problem, installed new psu, was hopeful at this piont, but it crashed again!!

all the time i was trying to get it to work it was set as standard: 166x13= 2617 Mhz.
so i decided to try messing about with the fsb, it turned out that if i lowered it to 161Mhz with a multiplyer of 13 it ran fine with no problems or crashes
this is wot the results were:

(fsb) (multi) (MHz) (result) (lenth of time b4 crash)
---------------------------------------------------------------
166 / 13.0 = 2167 - crashed - 1 min.
165 / 13.0 = 2145 - crashed - 3 min.
164 / 13.0 = 2132 - crashed - 3 min.
163 / 13.0 = 2120 - crashed - 6 min.
162 / 13.0 = 2106 - crashed - 10 min.
161 / 13.0 = 2093 - running! - still going strong!!!

i was using prime95 to do the testing.

i done this a couple of months ago, because its been working ok i havent been too bothered, too busy playing games which i am well chuffed about.

Does anybody know what might be causing this problem with the fsb?
I e-mailed epox with the problem and they sent me a list to check:
air flow,cpu attached to fan,ram modules.
all the things they suggested were fine, so i e-mailed them back, but never got a reply.
like i said, the system works fine at 161Mhz so i didnt bother getting on epox's back.
but now um thinking about it again and i would like my system to run at the speed for which it is meant to 166Mhz!!!

Any ideas

Anyone?

if i scratch my head any more i'll have a bald patch.
Old 3rd July, 2005, 05:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try running with I stick of RAM and see if that will get you up to 166.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2005, 07:13 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

nar, originally i only had 1 stick of ram in it and i had the same problem. tried it in both slots, but no joy. nice idea tho giz.
Old 4th July, 2005, 12:01 AM

oh well, guess i'll just keep hassling epox about and hope for a reply.
Old 4th July, 2005, 04:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

That's interesting. Typically, such problems are related to either running dual channel, running the RAM at timings that are more aggressive than it was designed for, or PSU or cooling problems. If you drop the FSB to, say, I50 MHz and then bump the multi to 14.5, will your system still run? (Trying to figure out if you are CPU limited or FSB limited).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2005, 10:09 AM

i'll try dropping the fsb to 150 and a multi of 14.5 and see wot happens.
but i'll have to try it abit later, off to work in abit.
i'll post back when ive done it.
Old 4th July, 2005, 04:11 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What timings are your memory set at?
What temps are you getting?
What voltages are you using on the CPU, northbridge, and memory?

All of these are important to know before proceeding..... Also, your CPU may be superlocked, so changin multipliers may not be an option... don't freak out if the system does not boot with a different multiplier. Clear CMOS and you should be ok again.
Old 4th July, 2005, 11:55 PM

Right, If i drop fsb to 150 and up multi to 14.0 it still runs fine and gives me 2030Mhz. prime has been running on the new settings for about 20 mins,it would have crashed by now if it was going to.

these are my memory timing:
T(RAS) 7
T(RCD) 3
T(RP) 3
cas latency 2.5

could someone explain to me wot the memory timing stand for and mean? or give me a link.
cpu temp is 51c
sys temp is 32c.

um not sure how i find out wot voltages the cpu,northbridge and ram r running on.

any help people?
Old 5th July, 2005, 11:20 AM

ok, ive found out about memory timings now, done lots of reading on google.

But still not sure how to find out the voltages of cpu,northbridge,ram.
Old 5th July, 2005, 02:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Search on Epox web sites an application called USDM...it usually gives the information you want while you're in Windows, if not, you can see the voltages and temps in BIOS..

As for your problem it's possible your memory timings are too tight. Try to change them in Bios at:
T(RAS) 8
T(RCD) 4
T(RP) 4
cas latency 2.5.
Tell us what happens! Cheers!

Edit: I forgot, you can also use Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) to check voltages and temps. End Edit!

Last edited by hoinar; 5th July, 2005 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 5th July, 2005, 08:11 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

There is likely a reason I won't reply constructively in this thread and the word begins with "aitch"
Old 6th July, 2005, 10:34 AM

Yeah very constructive wild andy

Last edited by ajopz; 6th July, 2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 6th July, 2005, 10:41 AM

Thanx hoinar, i'll try changing the memory timing tonight and see wot happens.
ive put the usdm screen on here so everyone can see.
Attached Thumbnails
Only 161Mhz fsb on a xp3000+-usdm.jpg  
Old 6th July, 2005, 12:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

The voltages seem allright...I just love your -5V reading
Old 6th July, 2005, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to fatfreepork

measure with DMM, software readings are always wrong.

and negative rails aren't used in newer systems
Old 6th July, 2005, 10:59 PM

well, i tried changing the memory timings like you suggested 8,4,4,2.5.
but it was still the same, crashed on prime after afew seconds.
i think i might just leave it as is if nobody has any other ideas.
epox dont seem in to much of a hurry to e-mail me back either
Old 7th July, 2005, 03:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to fatfreepork

try each stick alone, maybe 1 is faulty. also for future settings, use 11 tras for performance