AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st August, 2005, 06:04 AM

8rda6+ PRO System Hang problem

I just bought this mobo, brand new. Took it out and did a clean install no hook ups. I have these specs:
AMD 2700+
2x512 kingman PC2700
300Gig seagate 8MB Cache (IDE)
160Gig Western Digital 8MB Cache (IDE)
GF 4400

I have 3 partitions on my 300(6,146,146) and 2 on my 160(80,80). The system boots up fine and can access media in the cd and dvd drives but when it goes to access something on my master HDD(300G) the system hangs up. Both drives work fine on my other computer so i am at a loss on how to go about fixing this. As for the LED indicator i can see it count up and then stop @ ff so the bios is fine and it clears. Im just thinking that i am missing something really simple or maybe its a board defect on the HDD controller (but wouldn't that result in a bios check error?). I have tried other working drives on it but to no avail. one drive says it cannot read the partiton 'off brand' (80GIG) but then works just fine in my other computer as a master.
I have checked the caps but none seemed out of place or anything and using the bios i can see that it can detect the brand and the sizes of each of the drives. so i know that the bios can see them.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 1st August, 2005, 04:38 PM

So the computer hangs at/before it gets to the point of booting windows?

Have you tried changing the cable, as this could be at fault (doubt it though if the drives get detected)?

Also, what PSU are you using, as an underpowered system can cause all sorts of odd errors.
2x Seagate Cheetah U320, LSI 21320 controller, Netgear 801.11g, Tagan Easycon 580w.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2005, 06:11 PM

I've had this kind of thing too. It always happened after I damaged a capacitor near the memory slots. The disk problem wouldn't happen if i kept my system after cold boot busy w/o loading the OS for about 10 minutes. I used memtest. I RMA'd the board after a while.

Or an underpowered system could do that too.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2005, 01:48 AM

i think my PSU is 350. but it hasn't given me any problems with any other boards, i had a MSI 6530 in there will all of the same stuff and no problems untill recently(problem was that it could not detect the hard drives, this one does) , that's why i bought this epox. You don't think that this board would draw that much power? If you think its the PSU then what wattage would you recommend 400->500?

Looking at something like this:
ATRIX PSCI-500BLK ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V

Last edited by Tharnex; 2nd August, 2005 at 04:24 AM.
Old 2nd August, 2005, 04:27 AM

Update: I just DL and installed the latest BIOS and now it almost starts, it gave me a blue windows screen after it read the HDD saying that it stopped itself from damaging my computer??? anyway then it shut itself off but the green power light was still on. i turned it on again and tried to access the bios but it turned it self off when it started the power up everything under a sustained load...now its starting to sound like a PSU limitation. man this board sucks some juice, i'll try the PSU listed above if no one else has any suggestions.
Old 2nd August, 2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharnex
i think my PSU is 350. but it hasn't given me any problems with any other boards, i had a MSI 6530 in there will all of the same stuff and no problems untill recently(problem was that it could not detect the hard drives, this one does) , that's why i bought this epox. You don't think that this board would draw that much power? If you think its the PSU then what wattage would you recommend 400->500?

Looking at something like this:
ATRIX PSCI-500BLK ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V
Anything from a good brand will do. Don't buy noname or similar PSUs no matter what power rating they have. I suggest reading some reviews and then make your choice.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 5th August, 2005, 01:48 AM

well i put a new 500 watt PSU in ther and i am experiencing the same problems ramdom resets during the boot. sometimes after its reading the harddrives and sometimes before. im stumped. i have been in contact with their tech support but then are giving my off the wall answers like checking the jumper cables and making sure that the bios is reading the hdd. How can i check the bios when the computer won't stay on long enough for me to check it.
Old 5th August, 2005, 03:59 PM

Hey

Have you tried anything that doesn't require a heavy operating system? Like a bootable cdrom with memtest86 or something similar? Is your heatsink on the cpu mounted correctly? What temperatures can you read at device detection before OS boot? Try something like memtest to be sure your memory is stable. Memory seems to be the most common problem with these boards.
Does the system reset or shut down or both?
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2