AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th August, 2005, 05:21 AM

EP-4PCA3+ - Boots up directly to 77, remains running

Just got this board from Epox as a replacement for one with a burned component. Hooked up the bare minimum for the first boot (CPU, PSU, fan). The board displays 77 on the diagnostic LED immediately upon power up. It does not proceed through the standard boot up codes, but it does stay on and display 77 indefinitely. Adding memory or a video card makes no difference. I don't suspect the PSU, it is a brand new TT Truepower 680W and I've tested all the leads to verify correct voltages. The memory is Kingston HyperX which I believe to be good, at least it was last time it was used. I've tried 2 different video cards to no avail. I haven't gone as far as trying another CPU but will if that's what's necessary. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to send back another motherboard and be without a PC for another 2 weeks.
Old 9th August, 2005, 05:23 AM

Also, I tried AaronATX's trick of powering on the PSU, powering it off and bleeding any residual current, then turning the PSU and the PC back on. This made no difference.
Old 10th August, 2005, 01:47 AM

Looks like I'm in for another RMA and another 2 weeks without a PC.
Old 10th August, 2005, 02:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

Is the system in the case? Maybe a shorting problem. This is always the first thing I try. I don't see 77 in the code list, just as reserved. Wait around a bit before you go for the RMA, I am sure someone could help. I had that board, but it has been a year and a half, give or take.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2005, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY
Is the system in the case? Maybe a shorting problem. This is always the first thing I try. I don't see 77 in the code list, just as reserved. Wait around a bit before you go for the RMA, I am sure someone could help. I had that board, but it has been a year and a half, give or take.
I've got the MB laid out on a desk isolated by a piece of foam. The CPU, 1 stick 'o RAM and the video card are installed, nothing else. I'm fortunate enough to have spares of everything except for the PSU, so I have tried 2 different Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPUs, 4 sticks of memory (512MB Kingston HyperX) individually in different slots, and 2 different video cards (Geforce4 Ti4600 & Radeon 9600). As for the PSU, I've multimetered the 24-pin and 4-pin connectors to verify that voltages are correct to within 0.1 volts. According to my manual, 77 means detecting serial and parallel ports, which it certainly can't be doing the instant I apply power. CPU and heatsink are seated firmly, and I have a Honeywell Tornado fan blowing on the whole assembly in addition to the fan on the heatsink to ensure things are keeping cool. The board appears to be a refurb, I can see some solder on the backside that doesn't look as clean as I'm used to seeing.