AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th August, 2005, 11:08 PM

12 V line

hi all,

Wats up with the 12 V readings on the nforce 3 and 4 ????
Usdm......nope
thunderprobe......nope
Maybe ET now the anwser????
Sorry to say, but it sucks too have too aske such a stupid question.
How it is" POSSIBLE"
that a original mobo monitor do not show the 12 V line and other measurements.
Sorry............... but i wil not understand this, til i have a good anwser... Sorry for my bad english.

Greetz

Hozee
Old 30th August, 2005, 01:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

I'm not so sure it really matters. I have had several boards read totally different off the same PSU. Only way to tell for sure is using a multimeter, which is easy enough.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th August, 2005, 10:27 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If USDM or the BIOS doesn't show it, then it's probably not being monitored!
Old 30th August, 2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY
I'm not so sure it really matters. I have had several boards read totally different off the same PSU. Only way to tell for sure is using a multimeter, which is easy enough.
If it not matters, why show the other volts like : 3.3v and the 5v ?
I now volt readings can be different but it is good to have some indication.
On the NFII board's they had the 12v line, why not on these mobo's ?

Okay, it matters for me and i'm a little disappointed that thunder probe not show's the 12v line.

I hope that EPOX will put the 12v line in a next bios update, if it is necessary for reading volts. If not, then maybe a thunder probe update.
Thx you guy's for the response anyway.

PS. I have the 9npa+ sli............... SUPER mobo !!
Old 30th August, 2005, 01:05 PM

Hozee, I measured 12V line with digital multimeter, and it's absolutely OK.
Old 30th August, 2005, 05:02 PM

It was said that due to limited number of sensors, some Epox boards like 9NPA+ don't monitor +12V voltage. It is not an issue of software.
Old 30th August, 2005, 05:24 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Maybe it's ommision has to do with the new ATXv2.0 spec?
Old 30th August, 2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozee
I hope that EPOX will put the 12v line in a next bios update, if it is necessary for reading volts. If not, then maybe a thunder probe update.
The board you have doesn't physically have anything wired up to monitor the 12V line. No amount of BIOS or software updates can alter the wiring of the board.
Old 30th August, 2005, 10:28 PM

Mmmh... i see, i will have to live with this issue.
Old 30th August, 2005, 11:34 PM

With 2, 3 and 4 seperate 12v rails on some power supplies for todays ATX2.0 standard, which rail would you like to monitor? It really doesn't matter and I have found that voltage monitoring for anything other than vcore and vdimm (and even they are usually not correct) are totally worthless. You need to check your voltages with a multimeter, only way to really know.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY
With 2, 3 and 4 seperate 12v rails on some power supplies for todays ATX2.0 standard, which rail would you like to monitor?

you got it.

Old 31st August, 2005, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca

you got it.

And what about the other mobo manufacturers they d'ont got it??
lets take another one...mmmm

Last edited by Hozee; 31st August, 2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 31st August, 2005, 02:41 AM

nah, they just give the user what's comfortable...but tell me...how do you know which line you're monitoring? Do you see ANY motherboards with TWO 12v line sensors? Or are they mesuring 12v @ the 20/24 pin connector, or the 4pin ATX 12...or in the case of SLi boards...do they measure the 12v for the PCI-E?

EPoX, seeing the confusion from so many voltages, and the possible problems occuring from the integration of various standards of PSU's, decided to opt out of placing a sensor, knowing it would be inaccurate. I see nothing wrong with this. Other boards...however...that do list this voltage...CANNOT do it reliably.

Now, kindly tell me, please, in my ASUS SLi board, with my 680wTT powersupply...with 3 12v lines...and one 12v sensor...which of the three am i getting a reading from? And which of the three my HDD's are connected to, and which i connected to my vidcard, and which one connects to my motherboard....oh, and which one is the cpu on? Care to figure it out? No? Then why are you asking the same of EPox? Do you want mobo's to be more expensive then they already are? Because, yes it can be done, but in maintaining with the quality that EPoX has, it will not be cheap.

Old 31st August, 2005, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
nah, they just give the user what's comfortable...but tell me...how do you know which line you're monitoring? Do you see ANY motherboards with TWO 12v line sensors? Or are they mesuring 12v @ the 20/24 pin connector, or the 4pin ATX 12...or in the case of SLi boards...do they measure the 12v for the PCI-E?

EPoX, seeing the confusion from so many voltages, and the possible problems occuring from the integration of various standards of PSU's, decided to opt out of placing a sensor, knowing it would be inaccurate. I see nothing wrong with this. Other boards...however...that do list this voltage...CANNOT do it reliably.

Now, kindly tell me, please, in my ASUS SLi board, with my 680wTT powersupply...with 3 12v lines...and one 12v sensor...which of the three am i getting a reading from? And which of the three my HDD's are connected to, and which i connected to my vidcard, and which one connects to my motherboard....oh, and which one is the cpu on? Care to figure it out? No? Then why are you asking the same of EPox? Do you want mobo's to be more expensive then they already are? Because, yes it can be done, but in maintaining with the quality that EPoX has, it will not be cheap.

Yes i now, for sure you are wright like also SpQQky, but yes indeed why not use the one for the CPU? Can be handy wen overclocking.
Like you can read, i stil disagree, so lets stop it here
Anyway, thx for the reply.
Old 31st August, 2005, 09:22 AM

Given the number of rails now and in the future, it would make more sense to have an environmental monitor in the PSU, and have that connect into the SMBus on the PC. That way the PSU could report it's enviromental status, leaving the motherboard to monitor internally generated voltages such as the CPU supply.

Heck, lets just do away with all these stupid voltage rails, and have a single PSU that outputs 48VDC. Then the parts that need power can do their own regulation.
Old 31st August, 2005, 02:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I thought the next standard was going to be 24v?

With the current demands rising all the time, power distribution at the existing voltages is getting to be a PITA. 48v would make more sense than 24v, but 24v is not considered a primary voltage, and so comes under a different (and much less stringent) set of regulations than 48v. At least, that's the way it used to be. I don't know if that has changed in the last 10 years or so, though.
Old 31st August, 2005, 10:14 PM

My understanding is that 48V falls under the SELV (Safety extra low voltage) part of the low voltage directive in the EU, as long as there are two levels of protection between the power and the operator.

Given that -48VDC equipment is still relatively common, there's a whole industry that's producing parts designed to operate from -48V supplies. This is a voltage that I still see frequently in server rooms, and many devices such as big Cisco routers/switches can operate from it quite happily.
Old 31st August, 2005, 11:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, -48VDC is the telco standard, so there are LOTS of people making the stuff. Unfortunately, for the most part it is currently ruggedized heavy-duty industrial-type stuff, and with costs to match.
Old 31st August, 2005, 11:11 PM

mmh.. aha... in duch they could say.. "dit is wel zeer koffiedik kijken" meaning: this are very premature ideas, but, very interesting, and ahum... way off topic. cheers !
Old 31st August, 2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozee
Yes i now, for sure you are wright like also SpQQky, but yes indeed why not use the one for the CPU? Can be handy wen overclocking.
Like you can read, i stil disagree, so lets stop it here
Anyway, thx for the reply.
How is it handy for overclocking? Will you constantly have an eye on the 12v rail? How will this make a difference in your overclocking ability? How will a usually inaccurate sensor connected to the 12v rail, then reread by even more inaccurate piece of software in windows help overclocking?
Again, it makes ZERO difference. Your PSU is the determining factor and the only way to get a good reading from it is WITH A MULTIMETER.
A nice option on a PSU would be to have a small voltage meter add on. You can connect it to the PSU and have a front bay display for your rails. It would be a trifle expensive to have a device that monitors that many rails, unlike a multimeter that only monitors one at a time.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC