AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th September, 2005, 06:48 AM

EP-9NPAJ: No left-channel audio

Hi, first time poster here.

I recently put together a system in early August for my younger brother:

Epox EP-9NPAJ
A64 3000+
ATi X800 XL
Leadtek TV2000XP/Expert TV tuner
XP Home

Everything worked fine out of the gate, but last week he called me from college and mentioned that the on-board audio (Realtek ALC850) was working on the right-channel only. It must have been a recent change, since the first few weeks after putting the system together the audio worked fine.

Unfortunately, he couldn't pinpoint exactly when the left-channel stopped working, so I couldn't directly correlate the glitch with any recent software changes.

Anyway, his case supports the front-panel jack as well as the standard rear, and he's only using a 2.0 system (either basic desktop speakers or headphones). The left-channel problem was occurring regardless of which line-out jack was being used.

I had him check the balance settings in the Windows volume control, then had him check the speaker settings in Sounds & Audio Devices, and he also double-checked Device Manager and found no errors or warnings.

I assumed it had to be a driver issue, so I had him uninstall/reinstall the nVidia WHQL audio driver (v4.62) but the same problem remained. I then had him uninstall the nVidia audio driver and try the Realtek instead (v3.76a).

Oddly enough, after installing the Realtek driver the audio for the front panel jack returned to normal, yet the rear jack is still putting out sound on the right-channel only!

I'm at a loss for what else to try, and dread having to RMA the board. Since he's away at school, it would be a headache to replace. Am I missing something obvious? Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA

- Formula409

Edit: I messed up the thread title; should say "No left-channel audio"
Old 25th September, 2005, 06:40 PM

Apologies for the bump.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm at wit's end and out of ideas. Has anyone else has similar problems with Realtek onboard audio and Epox boards?

TIA
Old 10th November, 2005, 06:28 AM

OK, one last bump attempt (sorry).

I was initially referred to this forum as the place to get Epox-specific motherboard advice - especially from the well-respected Epox Tech, so don't let me down now AOA.

I've sent off an e-mail to Epox regarding the matter, but considering that their USA website is FUBAR, I'm not expecting much support. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised (or else it's back to Asus in the future).
Old 10th November, 2005, 06:53 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

check the connections? don't know what to tell you, perhaps ET can work some magic.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th November, 2005, 01:40 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula409
Oddly enough, after installing the Realtek driver the audio for the front panel jack returned to normal, yet the rear jack is still putting out sound on the right-channel only!
If the front panel jack is connected to the audio header on the board, then the signal path goes like this when nothing's plugged in the front:

Realtek->header->front panel->header->rear jack

The frontpanel connector is designed to be able to cut the audio when something is connected to it. The only way I can think of testing this is to remove the frontpanel connector from the header and then rejumper the header as it would have been when the motherboard was fresh out of the box. This at least will help you narrow down where the issue might be.
Old 11th November, 2005, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
If the front panel jack is connected to the audio header on the board, then the signal path goes like this when nothing's plugged in the front:

Realtek->header->front panel->header->rear jack

The frontpanel connector is designed to be able to cut the audio when something is connected to it. The only way I can think of testing this is to remove the frontpanel connector from the header and then rejumper the header as it would have been when the motherboard was fresh out of the box. This at least will help you narrow down where the issue might be.
Good advice, that. The rig is coming home for the Thanksgiving break, so I'll reset the audio headers back to factory and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for the replies, Phat Pat & Áedán.
Old 11th November, 2005, 09:46 AM

Was just about to say like Aeden has said put it back to how it came (jumper wise) and see if that works, the header pins that come with various cases can certainly be a pain, almost none seem to be the same, why they cant come up with a standard and stick to it......................
Old 11th November, 2005, 03:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
the header pins that come with various cases can certainly be a pain, almost none seem to be the same, why they cant come up with a standard and stick to it.
Most frontpanel audio I've dealt with in the last while has used the Intel standard for frontpanel, especially so on the motherboard end of things. USB and Firewire don't appear to have too much of a standard though.

Unfortunately, a standard gets set, and then extra features turn up that require more pins. Waiting for an industry body to get the standard together usually means waiting many months or even years...