AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th October, 2005, 03:55 PM

BSOD at only 220 FSB?

I have a p4 3.4 SL793 and a EP-4PDA3I-3 and I cannot get it stable at any overclock. I tried as low as 215 and still got a bsod during prime95. I had pretty much all the other settings at stock and just bumped up the FSB. I have read a lot and I think that my problem is in the settings. I am pretty sure the agp is locked and the memory seems to adjust down automatically when I up the FSB. I bumped vdimm and vcores up one notch and had no luck. I have 2X512 Corsair VS (cheap stuff) ddr400, I don't think this would be the problem because I shouldn't be running the ram at any higher than 400 and also added heatsinks. I just don't think I should have to adjust voltages and relax timings for such a minor overclock. I am really only looking to make 4.0 and would like to stay at stock voltage. Under full load the cpu gets to 51c. Any suggestions?
Old 12th October, 2005, 09:24 AM
EPoX Tech

What memory timings are you running and do you have Aggressive Memory mode enabled ?

You are likely reaching the ceiling on the memory and chip at this rate.
Old 12th October, 2005, 02:49 PM

The memory is set at by spd and in normal ram mode, and whenever I set the fsb up it seems to lower the ram speed. When I had it at 220 fsb the ram was at like 354 or something like that. So I am not sure why I would be reaching the limit of the ram. By chip I assume you mean cpu, and it is a 800 fsb so I doubt that a 20 mhz increase on the fsb would be the max of this cpu. I thought I read that this is cpu was good for overclocking. I really hope by chip you didn't mean the motherboard, because I bought this motherboard for that specific reason. If it helps all the bios settings are at factory defaults. I understand the basics of oveclocking I am just figuring I have one of my settings wrong.
Old 12th October, 2005, 02:55 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez21
The memory is set at by spd and in normal ram mode, and whenever I set the fsb up it seems to lower the ram speed. When I had it at 220 fsb the ram was at like 354 or something like that. So I am not sure why I would be reaching the limit of the ram. By chip I assume you mean cpu, and it is a 800 fsb so I doubt that a 20 mhz increase on the fsb would be the max of this cpu. I thought I read that this is cpu was good for overclocking. I really hope by chip you didn't mean the motherboard, because I bought this motherboard for that specific reason. If it helps all the bios settings are at factory defaults. I understand the basics of oveclocking I am just figuring I have one of my settings wrong.
Without trying to be condesending I don't think that you quite have the understanding of overclocking that is required given you are running SPD only, and complaining at 3.7GHz with instability at stock voltage!!!
Old 12th October, 2005, 08:36 PM

not had much experience with intels but like ET has said you cannot just increase the fsb to xxx without making certain or any adjustments, as AOA stands for overclocking is an art
Old 12th October, 2005, 10:52 PM

Well my point was that I understand the BASICS of overclocking, not that I know what I am doing. I realize that you cannot just up the fsb to OC, just not sure what I should do next. I have read a lot, but no amount of reading can take the place of experience. That is why am here. Like I said, i figured my problem was in my settings, so what is the best way to figure out the ideal settings for ram. Am i better off relaxing the timings or dropping it to 333. If I should relax the timings , then where is a good place to start and in what increments should i do it. Also just out of curiosity why do i have to adjust the timings if the ram timing is being automatically ajdusted down when I up the FSB. Shouldn't that mean that the ram should still be running at 400? Thanks for the info.
Old 12th October, 2005, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez21
Well my point was that I understand the BASICS of overclocking, not that I know what I am doing. I realize that you cannot just up the fsb to OC, just not sure what I should do next. I have read a lot, but no amount of reading can take the place of experience. That is why am here. Like I said, i figured my problem was in my settings, so what is the best way to figure out the ideal settings for ram. Am i better off relaxing the timings or dropping it to 333. If I should relax the timings , then where is a good place to start and in what increments should i do it. Also just out of curiosity why do i have to adjust the timings if the ram timing is being automatically ajdusted down when I up the FSB. Shouldn't that mean that the ram should still be running at 400? Thanks for the info.
it all depends on what overcloking your trying, as its intell im guessing its fsb with multi to get the max mhz, my advice would be to drop the memory to 166 or even 133 and raise the fsb from there and see what happens
Old 13th October, 2005, 12:01 AM

relaxing the timings will find your ram limits and dropping the divider will find the cpu limits and its a bit of fine balance between to 2
Old 13th October, 2005, 12:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

You first need to set RAM from SPD to manual or expert (whichever description they gave it), any time you set RAM to SPD, you've automatically killed your chance to overclock. Then I would start by using a divider on the memory, most likely a 5:4 setting will be best. Then bump your fsb up until you cannot any more.
Sorry bradmax57, there are only ratio dividers on Intel. A 5:4 divider will give you about 160 for the memory at stock fsb. IF you can manage 250MHz fsb, your RAM will then be running stock. Push the fsb up from default without raising vcore until it becomes unstable, then try bumping the vcore up and see if you can go any higher.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2005, 01:28 PM

Well I did all of that last night. I set ram to 333 and then even relaxed the timings as far as I could. This time at a 220 overclock it froze shortly into prime 95. I doubt it was heat related because when it froze the cpu was reading 35c. So by doing this I guess that means I ruled out ram as the problem right? So where whould I turn to next. Is it unreasonable to think I should get more than 220 on stock voltage. I really am not looking to up voltage, the cpu runs at 53c full load and that would just cause more heat.
Old 13th October, 2005, 02:05 PM
EPoX Tech

Better cooling ?
Old 13th October, 2005, 04:44 PM

Well it should be pretty well cooled, I have 3 case fans and a coolermaster heatsink(not sure which one) with AS5 silver. Also being that it froze when the cpu was at 36c is that an option? Then again I don't claim to know that much about cooling either, just what I have read. It seems to idle at 30-32c and just jumps up when under load, but never above 53c. Isn't 53c ok, I realize it is not ideal, but no where near the 60c that I have heard is the limit that is safe. Also the one ram setting I don't remember changing is the command rate I believe it is called, the 1T or 2T setting. Is that changeable on this board because I don't remember seeing it, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Also realistically what should I expect to get for a very stable overclock. I am not really looking for anything extreme, I would rather not even up the vcore, I just want to do it just so I can learn and say I have done it. Thanks for the help again.
Old 14th October, 2005, 11:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

Could just be a dud cpu. Without better than stock cooling, 3.7GHz may be it's max overclock.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2005, 05:37 PM

Well I re-applied the AS5 and ot it down to 45c under full load, didn't try any overclock at that point though. Any other suggestions. If I up the voltage for the vcore then that should tell me if it is the cpu right? Also I noticed that my vcore jumps around a little, say like 1.53 to 1.56 is that ok?
Old 15th October, 2005, 03:25 PM

fluctuating vcore, what psu are you using? brand and capacity? psu matters a lot especially if you have kick ass vidcard and multiple hds and cd/dvd drives. I have a 4pda3 and 3.0 prescott and i was able to run it stable at 3.6 with the stock hs. at about 56C-59C full load. it's pretty hot especially the room temp in my work den is above 35C (i live in the philippines). tried it with a cheap 350W psu with a 9600 installed, i can't even play a single game for a single minute. psus from enermax are quite good. i'f you're into overclocking, 53C shouldn't scare you. i oc every system in my cybercafe for years (actually since the 386 days) and i haven't fried any board or processor yet.

care for a toast bread, anyone?
AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.482GHz (310x8) ---- EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra ---- Palit GFX 6600 128Mb 500/630 ---- 2x 512mb PC3200 Kingston Hyper-X ---- 160 GB Seagate SATA NCQ ---- 17" LG-1730S LCD ---- Coolermaster Real Power 450w

3DMark 2005 = 3,170 AquaMark3 = 52,356 (GFX = 6,972 CPU = 10,511)

AOA Team fah

Last edited by n4l3hp; 16th October, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 17th October, 2005, 07:31 PM

The PSU is a Guardian 550w. Not really a name brand. Oh and there is only one bios out for it right now, so no chance of updating to ix any problems. I guess these boards were not that big of a seller or are completely new. I tried to do research on it, but all of the pages on this board are in different langauges. Oh well hopefully you guys can help.

Last edited by Deez21; 18th October, 2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 19th October, 2005, 11:46 PM

to be sure, try to relax the ram timings (maybe 3-4-4-8) at 133 setting then up your cpu fsb maybe 2-5MHz at a time. do this until you encounter problems, then up the vcore a a little bit while monitoring the temps (not higher than 60c unless you'll leave your casing open permanently). when you reach the point where the system cannot load windows, step back a few notches. be ready to reinstall windows because finding the sweet spot can corrupt your data. when you achieve the highest stable setting, check the exact speed of the ram (won't be 133 anymore). change the ram to 166. if it's stable, try 3-3-3-8 then 2.5-3-3-8 then 2.5-3-3-7 and so on. ram is stressed more at higher cpu fsb at 400 compared to 400 at 200 fsb. i found this out using a cheap dram that worked ok at 400MHz with a 133fsb cpu but won't boot using a 200fsb cpu. and also cpu's are rated at the assembly plants according to their stability at certain temps, so the maximum oc of each cpu is not always the same even if they have same speed marking or stepping. if dissatisfied with your max oc, get an amd the next time you buy a new system. good luck
AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.482GHz (310x8) ---- EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra ---- Palit GFX 6600 128Mb 500/630 ---- 2x 512mb PC3200 Kingston Hyper-X ---- 160 GB Seagate SATA NCQ ---- 17" LG-1730S LCD ---- Coolermaster Real Power 450w

3DMark 2005 = 3,170 AquaMark3 = 52,356 (GFX = 6,972 CPU = 10,511)

AOA Team fah