AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2005, 04:10 PM

Epox 9NPA+ Ultra Problems

I currently purchased an Epox 9NPA+ Ultra from overclockers.co.uk. After installing the motherboard and all the other components I went on to install WinXP. While installing devices in the XP setup the pc rebooted itself and monitor went offline. I switched off the pc and powered on again the system but the pc does not post, on the motherboard display there is an error C1h. I did read the manual and I also did try different memory modules including Crucial and Kingston. The memory used during the installation was Crucial Ballistix.

Can you clear this matter for me? Is the motherboard faulty?

On my pc all the ram modules work fine but on the Epox board it keeps giving me the C1 error.
Old 8th November, 2005, 04:52 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Have you tried clearin' the CMOS ? Is the mainboard shorting within the chassis ? Are you using a "fashion" PSU ?
Old 8th November, 2005, 05:13 PM

Have you tried the Ram in the other slots, other than dimm1?
Isnt the C1h code memory related? im in work at the moment so can't check.
Connect 3D X800XL 256MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
2x Western Digital 80GB SATA 150 (160GB in Raid 0)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2005, 05:18 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Its been shorted or shutdown incorrectly methinks or a component marked D408 ontop (a small mossy) has blown.
Old 8th November, 2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the replies

Yes the C1h error is memory related

Have you tried clearin' the CMOS ? Yes i did
Is the mainboard shorting within the chassis ? No
Are you using a "fashion" PSU ? OCZ Powerstream 520W
Have you tried the Ram in the other slots, other than dimm1? Yes in all of them

How can it be that a motherboard shorts while installing XP?
Wildandyc: how did the component blow?

Last edited by Nomad; 8th November, 2005 at 07:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2005, 03:27 AM

Question

nOMAD, that was one of my possible choices for a new board also, so i'm more than a little interested in the outcome, as you can probably imagine.

can you post your complete system configuration ~ {all the parts plugged in, and where/how}, as it stands right now, and also "give a little" on the setup you performed in bios, prior to OS load (as well as at F6)?
Old 9th November, 2005, 11:56 PM

Yadamaker:

I decided to RMA the motherboard. After trying all possible solutions and 4 emails with Epox tech support.

Complete System Configuration :-

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939)
Epox 9NPA+ Ultra
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT
Zalman CNPS 9500 Led
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
OCZ ModStream 520w ATX2.2 Power Supply ( I would not recommend this PSU to be used on an the Ultra board since the power cables are a bit too short and the power connector on the Ultra is very close to the cpu socket, finding it very difficult to fit when using a large heatsink like the zalman. The 2 power cables obstruct the airflow on the zalman a bit )
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition
Coolermaster Praetorian Case

All I would say is that this board worked flawlessly for about 20mins but something happened which still I do not know.

Memory was inserted in Dimm 1&2
X-Fi Sound Card in bottom pci-slot

Setup in the bios was very minimal since I leave everything as it is until I see that my system is stable. Then I start tweaking with the bios.

Also I should point out that the rev on my Ultra did not detect the Cpu as a Dual-Core it displayed Unknown Brand.

Hope this is the information you needed
Old 10th November, 2005, 09:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BarrySWE Send a message via MSN to BarrySWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
Yadamaker:

I decided to RMA the motherboard. After trying all possible solutions and 4 emails with Epox tech support.

Complete System Configuration :-

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939)
Epox 9NPA+ Ultra
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT
Zalman CNPS 9500 Led
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
OCZ ModStream 520w ATX2.2 Power Supply ( I would not recommend this PSU to be used on an the Ultra board since the power cables are a bit too short and the power connector on the Ultra is very close to the cpu socket, finding it very difficult to fit when using a large heatsink like the zalman. The 2 power cables obstruct the airflow on the zalman a bit )
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition
Coolermaster Praetorian Case

All I would say is that this board worked flawlessly for about 20mins but something happened which still I do not know.

Memory was inserted in Dimm 1&2
X-Fi Sound Card in bottom pci-slot

Setup in the bios was very minimal since I leave everything as it is until I see that my system is stable. Then I start tweaking with the bios.

Also I should point out that the rev on my Ultra did not detect the Cpu as a Dual-Core it displayed Unknown Brand.

Hope this is the information you needed

X-FI SB and last PCI = SAME IRQ as GFX = BAD
| Antec PlusView 1000AMG | OCZ Modsteam 520W | Epox 9npa+ Ultra rev 1.1| AMD64 3800+ (venice) + TT Silent boost K8 | G.Skills 2*1024MB | Gainward 7800GT | 36GB WD Raptor S-ATA 8MB cache | 500GB Hitachi S-ATA II 16MB Cache NCQ | Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic | ND-3520A | | Logitech MX518 + UltraX Flat keyboard | LG L1915S 19" TFT 12ms |
Old 10th November, 2005, 09:47 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Does an Interupt share kill a mainboard ?
Old 11th November, 2005, 12:10 AM

yeah -- it kinda sounds more like something actually killed it, or went bad...

but it's a little late, with the rma already in the works, to start doing the what-ifs about the whole situation.

the unknown cpu makes me wonder about the bios version, though I might not be getting an answer about that anymore(?)...

but then the memory dump/reboot and video loss, along with a memory verification fault code and a no-post makes me lean on either ram board or mainboard fault all the same.

the only other thing I probably would've tried, if the problem hadn't come on so quick (and so severely), is change the board enabled options, as far as the onboard devices go; then flash forward the bios, and reevaluate the memory for a possible abnormality when it's position on the board was reversed (or less loaded).

yeah -- I know -- whoops! too late now.
but hey those are the breaks, i guess(?), and I'm just glad Epox helped out, by rma-ing the board for you.

If you stick with the board, when you get it back, post back to this thread if you will, so I can catch up on the progress and how it all ferreted out.
Old 11th November, 2005, 08:18 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

The audio card had nothing to do with it and once more was of no use to the thread. It could well be that a non ACPI styled shutdown (as in a crash) has fux0r3d the BIOS.
Old 11th November, 2005, 04:52 PM

And don't forget the magical space zombies.
Old 12th November, 2005, 12:37 AM

well ok then, it's back to driftin', right?

jnansley, do you really have a magical space zombies kit?