AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2002, 10:56 PM

Location: 3rd planet from the sun on an island where people where bowler hats

Freeze with Epox 8K7A+

Problem Description: Every five or so minutes my PC will freeze, the mouse pointer will dissapear (almost as if the computer is going into sleep mode) then after about 5 seconds the mouse pointer will reappear and windows makes a little system noise (two notes sort of similar sounding too- duh dah!) if I'm playing a CD, WMA, Vid or a game the audio cuts out with the freeze but does not come back when the system unfreezes/unpauses so I have to quit that particular app (WMP or game for example) and run it again to get audio back.

I used to have this problem under Win 200o Pro on my PC, except that when my PC froze it would NOT unfreeze and I would have to do a hard restart.
This problem only ocurred after I had installed some app's, namely 3DSMax when I unsitalled 3DSMax for the first time my system became 100% stable again.
unfortunately I had to reinstall 3DSMax and my orginal problems strted up again.
After my second uninstall the problem DID NOT go away again.
So I did a clean install of XP, i.e I wiped my entire HD, but I still have this problem
(albeit my system comes back to life again but with loss of sound).
I've narrowed this down to a hardware defect on my motherboard or a crap powersupply, but the fact this DID NOT happen on a clean Win 200 Pro install, but does on a clean XP Pro install, would suggest other wise, and point to a driver bug or incompatability.
My PC also freezes at startup on the Bios if my CH USB game pad is plugged in, weird.

I have tried switching off all the power saving settings in XP and my Bios that I'm aware of, with no effect.

I have the latest standard Bios available from Epox's main site, I'm new to PC's and tried to get the newer Bios files on to my machine, urmm, but failed, so If anyone can rtell me how to do this i'd appreciate it.
As of yet, I have not insatlled any extra drivers for my motherboard, I installed all the drivers I was suppossed to for my Win 2000 Pro install, but I do not have any XP drivers for my motherboard and the temporary download section seems to be a complete minefiled to a novice like me, as does Via's site.
So if anyone can tell me the EXact dribvers to install for my Mobo I'd really appreciate it.
Frequency of problem: Always Happens
17 October 2001 bios (award 6.00)
Motherboard Epox 8K7A+
Geforce 3Ti200
40 Gig IBM 7200rpm HD
3 port firewire card
Ham intel fax/PCI modem
USB Keyboard, mouse & speakers
Onboard Highpoint raid disabled
Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional-5.1.2600
Computer manufacturer and model: X86-based PC, 761686, AWRDACPI
Processor model and speed: x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2, 1396(MHz) "AKA" AMD XP1600+
Memory 512MB DDR Ram (Crucial)

Last edited by roders; 28th February, 2002 at 11:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2002, 12:29 AM

start with the easy

Looks like a hard fault alright, suggest you re-insert all the cards (blow any dust out), and be sure all chips are pressed in, especially the DIMMS.

Set BIOS back to "Safe" options.

If that fails you'll have to work backwards and yank each card or attached device in turn, then test, until stability returns.
SonicFury
WD WDC400BB h/d
Segate ST328040a h/d
Pioneer 106 DVD drive
Aopen 1232pro cd-rw (EZcd dlx 4.05)
Pinnacle Studio DVDplus firewire
400W Sparkle & UPS
IIyama 19inch Monitor
dirty coffee cup, pair of comfy slippers
and the damn instruction manual
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2002, 02:10 AM

Thanx for the reply I'll give your suggestions a go.
Old 5th March, 2002, 10:09 AM

It's still Bananared!

I've managed to update the Bios to 8k7a106 but I've still got the EXACT same
problem, and 3DS MAX has NEVER been installed on my XP installation, in fact
this problem has been present since the very first time I booted up my PC after installing Win XP Pro, so it's eithier a hardware fault on the board, or driver/software incompatability (it's looking more like a hardware fault to me) I'm taking my PC back to the place that built it for me soon (although this is a BIG hassle for me) and they said they would not replace the board straight away if it WAS hardware, but send the faulty board to you
for repair/replacement, which will mean I have to go completley withought use of my PC for a ceratin amount of time (how long....?), which is not really any good for me as I use it daily to work on.
So if I can resolve this withought taking the PC/Board back I'd like too. Thanx for your help so far.

P.S
I now get a Blue screen stop error with the new Bios (8k7a106) If I try
anything more tham a 100Mhz FSB/frequency multiplier in the BIOS, so my
XP1600+ with 266FSB is now 1050Hghz on a 200Mhz FSB.
I'm using the "optimized defaults" a 133 Multiplier (to give me a 266 FSB)
"USED" to work fine with these settings.
Old 5th March, 2002, 11:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Re: Freeze with Epox 8K7A+

Quote:
Originally posted by roders
As of yet, I have not insatlled any extra drivers for my motherboard
I'd sort this problem out first.

I don't have an 8K7A so I may be a bit off. But I believe you need the AMD AGP/PCI drivers. And I believe you need the VIA drivers for the harddisk/floppy/usb controllers, and VIA drivers for any other logic built in to the southbridge. Having a mix matched chipset makes driver installations a bit of a biotch, that is why I never purchase an 8K7A, and instead waited for the 8KHA+.

If the problem didn't go away after that, I'd yank everything but the CPU/RAM/Harddisk out of the system, set the BIOS to fail safe, and see if the problem still exists.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 5th March, 2002, 02:19 PM

The problem is NONE of the drivers are listed as Win XP compatible, or even required, and are all MUCH older than the ones WIN XP installs. Everythings works fine that requires the drivers it's just the crash issue that bugs me.
Also I had this crashing issue under WIN 2000 Pro WITH the drivers installed, excpet the crash was MORE severe.
P.S this was my first PC, and being a MAC owner I simply did not realise just what a minefield owning and running a PC could be(my capslock key just started making everything go in small case instead of Cap's fpor no apparent reason, thank go Ihaven't sold my Mac yet), even though I did a lot of research into PC's before I bought, and for your info the PC maker that built my PC put the wrong but equivalently specced and priced motherboard in (KT266A) and because of the good reviews the board got on the net I decided to stick with it....

Last edited by roders; 5th March, 2002 at 02:22 PM.
Old 5th March, 2002, 09:01 PM

you did install

The very least you would have installed are the via 4-in-1 drivers. This covers drive controller, via chipset and AGP. And yes there is XP version of these drivers.

http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1
SonicFury
WD WDC400BB h/d
Segate ST328040a h/d
Pioneer 106 DVD drive
400W Sparkle & UPS
IIyama 19inch Monitor
Old 5th March, 2002, 09:38 PM

I though th the Via 4 in 1 drivers were for Via motherbaords only not for combo motherboards like mine (with the AMD761 northbrdge and the Via 686B southbridge) Via even states this on there site.
Anyhow I tried the latest non beta 4in 1's on my Win 2000 install, it buggered evrything up.
Can soemone give me some real advice, such as do the highpoint drivers REALLY need to be installed if you've got only one hardrive and don't have a raid array (i.e don't use the Highpoint controller).
Old 5th March, 2002, 10:08 PM

sorry

Yes, you are right, sorry, I didn't realise your m/b had the AMD/ via chips- the worst of both worlds.

Dump the m/b (get them to put in the one you wanted), and get something a little less wierd.

If you are UK, I can let you have my spare 8kha+ cheap (it's just gathering dust).
SonicFury
WD WDC400BB h/d
Segate ST328040a h/d
Pioneer 106 DVD drive
400W Sparkle & UPS
IIyama 19inch Monitor
Old 5th March, 2002, 10:29 PM

Yeah I live in the UK (West London) and could be interested in youir board, why are you selling it?
my emails roders@lineone.net
Old 5th March, 2002, 11:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I wouldn't "dump" the board. The 8K7A is one of the most stable boards, once prperly set-up, out there from what I here. It also seems to be one of the best overclocking boards out there.

You will figure out what the problem is sooner or later. I'm not saying this is the case, but I remember reading that the 8K7A is a bit picky about power supplies due to it's 2+2 phase on-board VccCore regulation. What power supply do you have?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 8th March, 2002, 02:49 AM

Okay I've got my PC stable with the 8k7a1b26 Bios (dated 26/11/2001) but I get a blue screen if I up the bus speed to 133Mhz regadless of what
other settings in the Bios I use, I could also not get above a 100Mhz bus
(with a corresspondingly lower chip speed of 1050Mhz) with the 8k7a1b06 Bios
that Epox UK sent me, The 8k7a1b06 BIOS EPOSX UK sent me made my system freeze even more often (every
two minutes min) than ever.
So I flashed with 26/11/2001 (8k7a1b26) Bios and my system is now stabel but My original 17/10/2001 Bios that was on my MOBO when it was purchase ran a
133 FSB/Mulitplier fine.
Whats up?
Old 8th March, 2002, 02:18 PM

Sorry to post again, but I'm desperate, as you can see my original problem has been rectified, but a new one has occurred, I am due to take the PC back for repair on Sunday, and I will be charged if they cannot find a/the fault, also, the bus mulitplier problem I currently have, they will say, is down to an updated BIOS I have installed, and thus not their problem.
So if there is a soloution to this problem I need to know the answer fast; so please someone please give me some help ASAP!!!
Old 8th March, 2002, 04:10 PM
Banned

the Epox 8k7a's is one of the most stable boards out there and i like the 761 chipsets despite what someone posted. although there has been a plague of bad epox 8k7a's over at my house seems i have lost two of them to the dreaded FF post.

Jen
Old 8th March, 2002, 04:26 PM

epox

rma the board.

three boards from epox, all three had/have issues, 8k7a+ needs to be RMA'd (purchased 9/1/01), just degraded over two weeks to constant reboots no matter how low you clocked the cpu.

first 8kha+ came doa, should have gotten the message with that sucker, exchanged it ASAP. second 8kha+ came, it ran the 155 fsb to begin with, then only 150, then only 145, then only 139.

i may be a bit dense, but the handwriting is on the wall, these epox boards are a crap shoot and seem to have 'issues' that the clocking community grapevine so sorely brings to the forefront.

no epox with the next board.

all i want is a board that can take a clock and hold it, kinda like the good old days. i would happily sacrifice a smidgen of speed for a board that would REMAIN stable for more than a week or two.

just my .02. can you tell i am a bit pissed???

baldy
Old 8th March, 2002, 04:50 PM
Banned

bldegle2 i have to agree............
the one board has worked for me without any problems for the last 7 months or so. i dont understand why changeing a processor would suddenly kill of this board.
on the second board its one i just got and had it working fine a couple weeks ago. i left it sitting while got more parts for my server. then everything messed up from there.

makes me wonder is it me or is there a serious problem with epox boards.

Jen