AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2002, 11:44 PM

Best bios for overclocking 8KHA+

Just got my XP1600 today. I'm running the latest release bios from Epox web site. I have 2 256 strips of corsair 2400 with heatspeaders installed. I can run 150 FSB with no probs but any higher and the system freaks out. Is one of the beta bios versions better for overclocking?
Old 28th February, 2002, 11:55 PM

I would check your hardware mate.

Start by just having the barebones.

CPU, 1 stick of memory, h/disk, g/card and go from there.

Chances are one of your PCI devices is holding you back at present.

Oh, and remember you CPU and or Ram will require more volts as you overclock.
Old 1st March, 2002, 12:18 AM

Yeah I think I gonna have to unlock the clock so I can see just how high the chip will go then drop the clock back down and up the bus again. I also experience random reboots but not too often.
Old 1st March, 2002, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ohknats
Yeah I think I gonna have to unlock the clock so I can see just how high the chip will go then drop the clock back down and up the bus again. I also experience random reboots but not too often.
For this bios try 8khi2116.bin from www.aoafiles.com

It sounds like you have got to the maximum for your chip.
1580mhz is a reasonable air cooled overclock.

To be sure try running the memory with the 3/4 devider (set the ram speed to 100mhz) in Dram timings.

The beta bios ive posted may increase overclocking stability..especially on the fsb.

Try giving the cpu and ram a bit more voltage.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2002, 03:24 AM

I've got the cpu voltage maxed and memory at 2.9. cooling is not a problem my cpu temp never goes over 43c under full load. Memory has heatspreader and good airflow. I will try that bios.
thanks.
Old 1st March, 2002, 04:59 AM

So holst your saying that to use the 3/4 ram divider all i have to do is set the jumper on the epox 8kha+ mainboard to 133 and set the dram ram timing to 100 and that will enable the 3/4 ram divider? on the 1/16/02 bios
Epox 8K5A2+, XP-1800 w/ Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II on top of SLK-800, VisionTek GF3 Ti 500, 2X 256 Meg PC 2400 XMS Corshair Cas 2 , Maxtor 30 Gig 7200 rpm, Maxtor 30 Gig 5400 rpm, Inside a Lian-Li PC-60 w/ Antec 400w
pp-412X
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2002, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst

For this bios try 8khi2116.bin from www.aoafiles.com

To be sure try running the memory with the 3/4 devider (set the ram speed to 100mhz) in Dram timings.

The beta bios ive posted may increase overclocking stability..especially on the fsb.

Try giving the cpu and ram a bit more voltage.
excuse my ignorance Holst, when i set the 3/4 devider using the hal00 bios back in early december, it wasn't too pretty.

now if i set the 3/4 ram devider and use the 2116 bios, do you think it will even yeild the same or get nearly the same memory bench scores as say, my old setting at 175fsb without the 3/4 ram devider?
Old 2nd March, 2002, 12:10 AM

To run a athlon xp 1600+ at 1670x312 seems to be a quite common overclock for a epox 8kha+. That is what I got and many with me. (fsb at 159). I run at this setting absolutely stable however increasing to 160 isnĀ“t stable at all so I guess I have find my sweetspot.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e

excuse my ignorance Holst, when i set the 3/4 devider using the hal00 bios back in early december, it wasn't too pretty.

now if i set the 3/4 ram devider and use the 2116 bios, do you think it will even yeild the same or get nearly the same memory bench scores as say, my old setting at 175fsb without the 3/4 ram devider?
Yes that should work.

I think you might have to set the memory to cas-2 to get the 3/4 to work.

Obviously your memory will be running slower and performance will drop.

But the 3/4 devider is very usefull to see if your overclock is being held back by your memory or CPU.

Some people can also use CPUFSB to run there board at 220fsb and 3/4 ram speed and get very good results.
If you intend to do that backup your data as you might get hard drive corruption.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 12:42 AM

thanks Holst. i think i'll stick with the 1:1 memory timing for now. i juggled my system components around and i've finally hit 177fsb. i haven't hit 177fsb since last december i gotta try to find the limits on these wonderfullyfull crucials sticks

btw,

congrats! MOM!!!

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Old 2nd March, 2002, 11:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to biotech Send a message via Yahoo to biotech

I found that there is a difference in the overclockabililty of my 8kha+ board when I use different lines to connect my A: drive. I tried the two different lines that are able to power the A: drive and found that the board works best with one over the other. I could run games stable at only 152 with the "bad" line while able to run 154 with the "good" line. I also have that line sharing power with my hard drive, cdrw, and front and rear fans. I know that 2 mhz may not be a big deal but maybe trying different lines may help.

p.s. - I'm really happy with my setup. I bought an Enlight case that comes with a 340w Enhance psu for only $60 and able to overclock using air-cooling. I forgot to list in my sig that I also have an Alpha 8045, which keeps my system at 42*C using regular thermal grease. I want to try the new Arctic Silver to see if my temp will go down considerably. All in all, a great bang for the buck.
Enhance 340w PSU
1.9v core, 2.8v dimm
256MB Crucial PC2100
Gainward GeForce 2 Pro 64MB
SB Audigy pci5, Best Data modem pci6
TDK 24x cdrw, WinXP Pro
Old 2nd March, 2002, 11:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to biotech Send a message via Yahoo to biotech

I found that there is a difference in the overclockabililty of my 8kha+ board when I use different lines to connect my A: drive. I tried the two different lines that are able to power the A: drive and found that the board works best with one over the other. I could run games stable at only 152 with the "bad" line while able to run 154 with the "good" line. I also have that line sharing power with my hard drive, cdrw, and front and rear fans. I know that 2 mhz may not be a big deal but maybe trying different lines may help.

p.s. - I'm really happy with my setup. I bought an Enlight case that comes with a 340w Enhance psu for only $60 and able to overclock using air-cooling. I forgot to list in my sig that I also have an Alpha 8045, which keeps my system at 42*C using regular thermal grease. I want to try the new Arctic Silver to see if my temp will go down considerably. All in all, a great bang for the buck.
Enhance 340w PSU
1.9v core, 2.8v dimm
256MB Crucial PC2100
Gainward GeForce 2 Pro 64MB
SB Audigy pci5, Best Data modem pci6
TDK 24x cdrw, WinXP Pro
Old 3rd March, 2002, 12:50 AM

I flashed my bios to 2116. I still can't hit 150 FSB without taking on a ton of reboots but i have been running 145 with ram set at turbo with no probs. I do have 2 sticks of ram installed so I will pull one out and see if thats what the problem is.

This damn board is gives me almost as much of a headache as my Abit KT7-RAID and KT7A-RAID did.
Old 3rd March, 2002, 01:16 AM

i agree with Holst

Quote:
90% of the oc'ed 1600's i've seen won't go past 150fsb unless the processor is unlocked. do you have or have you unlocked the processor yet?

Quote:
i'd try to see how far the procesor could oc without worrying about the memory's limitations.

you might take the PSU into consideration. my 8KHA+ likes the 3.3v and 5v rails. sometimes the 3.3v dips down to 2.75v and the 5v rail dips to 4.5v on my Enermax on full process.

regards,
r0l0e

Old 3rd March, 2002, 01:23 AM

I have an Enermax 435. The lowest I've noticed the +5v go is 4.95. 3.3 hangs around 3.2-3.4. Those are under load also.
I still need to unlock the cpu. I may tackle that this weekend but have not decided on which route for filling in the pit. I have ran at 3/4 divider and still got reboots so maybe it is the cpu.
Old 3rd March, 2002, 01:31 AM

1580mhz is still pretty good. even if you can squeeze 100-150 more out of that thing, you still won't feel the difference, IMO.

i agree unlock the CPU and gain more overall system performance by FSB.

let us know how it turns out. i'm thinking about upgrading to an XP, but i kinda like the feel of my outragiouse bus speeds.

Old 3rd March, 2002, 01:52 AM

I guess I'm just spoiled by my Thunderbird. it was a AXIA 1000 MHZ that went to 1400 at 1.775 volts.
Old 3rd March, 2002, 02:07 AM

that's exactly why i haven't upgraded yet. i think i can live without SSE and there's no problem with my temperature sky rocketing at full load. so why should i upgrade my A4? i think i'll wait for the next AMD processor that can yeild 50% faster than my current system at an affordable price. though i don't know that many programs that require that much processing

i'm pretty spoiled myself. i guess i don't wanna get let down if i upgrade and don't yeild the same or better results.

i'll tell you what though, this 8kha+ is a god send to me. i don't have the money to burn for a Pentium rig so i'm VERY happy with my systems...for now..