AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2005, 02:41 AM

Special I/O for PCI card?

In the new latest bios for 9NPA+Ultra there is the new Special I/O for PCI card option. This have helped me in the passed on 8RDA6+Pro with incompability between silicon image and my adaptec SCSI card, by setting it to 16 bytes. I don't know why.

Now i wonder if anyone knows anything about this "Special I/O for PCI card" and it's configuration? How to enter the right Base I/O adress and I/O lenght for example? Why does only 16bytes work in "I/length" and not anything over that? How does this thing work and what's it for exactly?

My problem on this board is that my geforce 7800GTX and U320 adaptec SCSI are sharing same IRQ 18, which i have noticed make problems for both, which is slower transfer, real slow on SCSI and sometimes distorted screen on bootup.
Interesting thing is also that when the nvidia graphic driver is not installed everything is fine, no IRQ sharing and it's put on its own IRQ10, and not sharing with SCSI card. When driver is installed it always persists on sharing IRQ 18 with SCSI card. Why is that? I've tried all drivers there are. Yes, i have tried swapping PCI slots, with or without ACPI etc etc. Have tried it all.

Now i wonder if this Special I/O for PCI card in bios can fix this problem somehow, but how and what to enter?

Any info/help on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 9th December, 2005, 11:02 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Special I/O for PCI card is basical a workaround for the fact that some PCI cards misreport the number of bytes they need for their I/O. What happens in a card does misreport is that two cards end up sharing the same I/O space and writes to one of the cards corrupts the registers on the other card. The result is usually failure to boot, nasty crashes or data corruption. This won't affect IRQ at all!

As to why the cards are sharing, I'm not sure!
Old 9th December, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hm ok thanks for that.
Well, then theres nothing to do i guess.
Doesn't anyone else have the same problem with 7800GTX on this board, 9NPA+Ultra? with the sharing IRQ with some PCI card? if so it would be interesting to know if im the only one having this problem.

My cards are Adaptec 39320A-R and Gainward Geforce7800GTX Golden sample that are sharing IRQ 18. this only when 7800GTX driver is installed.

How's the IRQ handling on x64 bit xp pro? the same ***** i guess?

well hopefully nvidia or epox or something change that somehow someday.
Old 10th December, 2005, 09:04 PM

I believe back in the Via Chipset / Sound Blaster days, there were a lot of suggestions to use Powerstrip to force latency, it (or similar tools) may be able to force IRQ's too.

Logically you would be able to manually do this with some registry fiddling but that's not something I've ever needed to delve into.
Old 10th December, 2005, 10:01 PM

Oh, you know of any tools that can force IRQ's, or how to do it in the registry? any help or info on that would be great.