AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th January, 2006, 05:20 PM

9NPA+ Ultra PCI problems

I just bought a 9NPA+ Ultra motherboard along with a 3700SD, 2Gb Corsair RAM and a Hiper 580W PSU.

The problem I'm having is that the last PCI slot doesn't seem to be working. I put my Audigy sound card in and it doesn't detect it. No matter I though, the onboard sound is OK and I wanted to use the PCI slot for my Nebula DigiTV card instead. I can't use the other PCI slot because my ATI x1800XT and its heatsink, although they don't block it, it would be a tight fit and there wouldn't be enough space for the cooler to expel the hot air off the gfx card adequately.

Can anyone give me any hints or tips to solve this? I've posted on another general hardware forum and some one thought the psu might not be powerful enough but it is 580W and is SLI capable so I doubt that. Is it some weird interaction between the PSU and the board itself though?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Old 25th January, 2006, 08:25 PM

I'm going to say it's an IRQ thing and you're going to need andy or Aedan.
Old 25th January, 2006, 11:19 PM

Thanks jnansley. Earlier this evening I moved the TV card up a slot. I was able to do so because it turns out the heatsink on my gfx card vents out the back of the case and not downwards into the case. That would explain why it takes up two slots of space. My TV card is now working beautifully, much easier to set-up than I thought possible.

I think it is an IRQ issue, is this solvable? Would Andy or Aedan have a solution or a fix to solve this? I could then run my gfx card, TV card and sound card in blissful co-existence.

How do I contact Andy or Aedan? Are they forum members? Will they have seen this post?
Old 26th January, 2006, 07:35 AM

For some reason I want to say they're the ACPI experts, should pop up here sooner or later.

Anyhow, try using your owner's manual to figure out which IRQ that slot is being assigned by default, then use Device Manager/Sisoft/Powerstrip to see what is using that IRQ already.
Old 26th January, 2006, 10:43 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

To be honest, if the machine completely fails to detect a card in the PCI slot then I'd recommend trying a different card in the slot. If it still fails to detect the different card, I'd suspect an issue with the slot.

If the card was detected and had issues working, then I'd suspect an issue elsewhere.
Old 26th January, 2006, 03:03 PM

i had the some problem with my network card i had to change it with my sound card and now work. if i try to put the network card in the last slop it will not work window say they is a problem with the card but if i put the sound card in they last slop it work
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)DDR2 800 F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK 4-4-4-6
Evga 8800 GTS (600/1800)
2x WD Rapter 74gig SATA RAID-0
Thermaltake Purepower 750W
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff97
i had the some problem with my network card i had to change it with my sound card and now work. if i try to put the network card in the last slop it will not work window say they is a problem with the card but if i put the sound card in they last slop it work
Thanks for that ruff97, the only problem is that I want to put a TV card in one PCI slot and a sound card in the other slot. I can't do that though because the third PCI slot clashes with something else. Is it the graphics card, anyone know?

Does anyone know if I could put the sound card in and then in Windows find and resolve the IRQ clash? Or should I do it in the bios?
Old 28th January, 2006, 02:54 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

I remember reading something about DVB-T and DVB-S cards and the chipsets they use for CAM access being unfriendly with NForce chipsets.

I think they have an interupt call that just isn't valid with NVidia chipset. Other than this they may have an interupt address range that conflicts with another major piece of the NForce hardware.

If this is the case the NForce hardware will in the eyes of the operating system always be the master device (bus master) and anything latched onto it and its DMA range will become invisible or will hog the bus as invisible and discourage performance.

Very similar to a problem I had with my Belkin wireless 54g PCI card making my system lag. Had to re-route the IRQ table to effect a good working wireless card and maintain my performance without stutters. Performance I now have would verify I got it right!

In terms of clashing hardware there is an interupt matrix in your manual which shows the devices that share interupts.
Old 28th January, 2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_andy_c
Had to re-route the IRQ table to effect a good working wireless card and maintain my performance without stutters. Performance I now have would verify I got it right!
I like the sound of that. How do you do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_andy_c
In terms of clashing hardware there is an interupt matrix in your manual which shows the devices that share interupts.
Just had a look and couldn't find anything about any interrupt matrices.
Old 29th January, 2006, 04:58 PM

You ought to have a page in there which maps each PCI slot to IRQ "A","B"..."D". Which are placeholders. It's usually hard to find, you have to read closely. Maybe try the PDF's online.

I've had some success using Powerstrip to change IRQ's, I think it's possible to do some of this in the BIOS but I'm not sure how well 2000+ Windows likes that.

<offtopic>I have had a similar issue in the past, trying to add a USB card to the 5th slot in a 5-slot board (Asus P5AB). The machine wouldn't boot at all. As a baby AT board it didn't have USB connectors on the back of the board. (Actually, the only connector a baby AT does have is a DIN keyboard.) It did have a header which was shared with the PS/2 mouse header. What I did was pull the little pins out of the PS/2 backplate connector (which also had a separate serial connector) and a random USB backplate connector and assemble them all into one block. Lots of fiddling with teensy wires, but I didn't need the PCI card. </offtopic>
Old 29th January, 2006, 05:11 PM

Just downloaded the latest manual off Epox Europe's site to see if it was more up to date than the one I already had. Couldn't find anything like that anywhere. I feel confident about changing the IRQs in bios I just don't know what IRQ is assigned to what slot/device. Once I can find that out I'm happy.
Old 3rd February, 2006, 05:13 AM

Your problem is the IRQ sharing as a general rule Creative's cards don't like to share period! The last slot on the 9NPA shares with the video card irq so the tv card will share so put it into that slot just like I have with my ATI HDTV card and put the sound card next to the video card!!
Saphire X3870
X-Fi Music Extreme
ATI 650 TV Wonder
Western Digital 74 Raid 0
Western Digital 74
Plextor 716A DVD-RW
Plextor PX116A DVD
Antec P160w/side window 1 120mm Blue Led Fans.
Antec NEO HE 550w PSU
GateWay FP2485W
Vista Ultimate
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!