AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th January, 2006, 04:39 AM

8k3ae questions inside. Thanks in advance.

Hello, new poster here. And I thank you for your help in advance. I've got an Epox 8k3ae here that since it was new has suffered from a startup problem. Without fail, the machine will fail to post on startup, however, once I push the reset button the machine will post without issue. This has been the case with two different Socket A cpus. One being an Athlon XP 1700+ and a Sempron 2200+. I've been searching for quite some time for a solution but have been unable to find one. I've updated the bios to the latest that I'm aware of, and the machine runs quite well once booted. I should note that the machine will fail to post again if I restart the system, however I reset it, and it comes right back up. I've run every combination of bios options including factory default, and have not been able to cure the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th January, 2006, 07:09 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Same problem here on my msi Neo4-f, Figured it was easier to keep hitting the reset button than figure it out

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2006, 07:48 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 794613
Hello, new poster here. And I thank you for your help in advance. I've got an Epox 8k3ae here that since it was new has suffered from a startup problem. Without fail, the machine will fail to post on startup, however, once I push the reset button the machine will post without issue. This has been the case with two different Socket A cpus. One being an Athlon XP 1700+ and a Sempron 2200+. I've been searching for quite some time for a solution but have been unable to find one. I've updated the bios to the latest that I'm aware of, and the machine runs quite well once booted. I should note that the machine will fail to post again if I restart the system, however I reset it, and it comes right back up. I've run every combination of bios options including factory default, and have not been able to cure the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That is either the PSU (and lack of power it possesses) or the capacitors on the mainboard.
Old 27th January, 2006, 05:10 PM

I thankyou for your reply. However, this has happened on more than 3 different psus, and since the board was new. Even after the capacitors failed, and were replaced it still has the same issue. Thanks again.
Old 28th January, 2006, 02:48 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

And what PSU are you using in the three instance may I ask ?
Old 28th January, 2006, 08:54 PM

A 300 watt forton, a 300 watt generic, and last night on a 380 watt Antec. Believe me, I appreciate your help, but this is not a powersupply issue. The machine is running with an 8MB S3 video card, 1.5Ghz Sempron, 512MB of memory, a 30GB HD, and a cd-rom. A 180Watt powersupply would be able to run this machine without a hitch. Again I appreciate your help. I noticed you had an Epox representative here, and I was hoping he might have a concrete answer for me. I am a regular member at Ocforums.com. Thanks again.
Old 28th January, 2006, 09:42 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Sounds in that case like a non ACPI compliant setup - the southbridge write data isn't compliant. Windows install is to blame.
Old 29th January, 2006, 04:46 PM

I've never actually had this happen to me but I have had funny issues with VIA drivers before. You might want to try using Driver Cleaner before you do a "repair" install just to see if you can avoid a "complete" reinstall. And make sure you're using the "vintage" chipset drivers for reinstall.