AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February, 2006, 09:58 PM

Question Help needed - newbie

Hi, looking for a bit of help from someone. I changed the clock speed on my CPU and my machine won't boot anymore. I have an Epox 8KRA2+ with an AMD 2600 chip.

It was set at 100 and I changed it to 200 (max was 250).

I now get no display on monitor. The manual says that this is normal behavior for overclocking and pressing the "insert" button will revert to the default settings and reboot - it doesn't.

It seems there is no power to the keyboard ?

First attempt at overclocking gone wrong. Should have left it alone.

Anybody got any guidance? It would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks,
Pipey.
Old 11th February, 2006, 10:07 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If you have a wireless keyboard, it tends not to work. Generally, the way I've done it is to press and hold the insert button just before turning the power on. Otherwise, you might have to clear the CMOS to get the machine back up and running. The Insert button is the preferred method, as it doesn't require opening the computer!

If you do decide to try overclocking again, it is always best to increase the frequency by a little at a time. (For example, between 5 and 10 MHz for the FSB clock - the thing you adjusted). What you did was to ask the 2600 chip to run at 5200, which is a little optimistic!
Old 11th February, 2006, 10:13 PM

Many thanks, I'll try again. It's not a wireless keyboard though.

The reason I tried it was mu chip seemed to be only running at 1.15Mhz which seemed slow. I expected it to be running at 2.6Mhz? Or am I being too simplistic, or thick?

I'm new to this, built my PC 2 or 3 years ago and not arsed around until now.
Old 11th February, 2006, 10:51 PM

Thanks for your help. Managed to boot back up again.

I've changed clock back to 115 and that's given me 1.3GHz processor speed according to windows. It still seems a lot less than I'd have expected.

Am I missing something? Where can I read up more on this?

Thanks
Old 12th February, 2006, 12:07 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeyrw
The reason I tried it was mu chip seemed to be only running at 1.15Mhz which seemed slow. I expected it to be running at 2.6Mhz? Or am I being too simplistic, or thick?
2600 is the model number which indicates that the CPU performs similar to an Intel CPU running at 2.6GHz.

The stock speed of that CPU is probably 2133 MHz.
Old 12th February, 2006, 12:23 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
I've changed clock back to 115 and that's given me 1.3GHz processor speed according to windows. It still seems a lot less than I'd have expected.
Yes, it's less than it should be. Just a really quick bit of info here. The speed of the processor is determined by two factors.
  • The clock from the motherboard. This is used as a reference for various parts of the internals of the CPU, and is used to keep things in sync across the motherboard.
  • The multiplier. Put simply, the CPU takes the clock that you set in the BIOS and multiplies it upwards to get the operating frequency.

Now, most processors have a maximum multiplier set on them, and you cannot exceed this easily. (If you try, either it doesn't boot, or it boots at a frequency that's considerably slower than expected). For your CPU, I suspect that the maximum multiplier is 13x. You should also be able to set this in the BIOS too.

If I recollect, your CPU is probably designed to run with the FSB clock set to 166MHz, and the multiplier set to 12.5. That should result in about 2.083GHz.
Old 12th February, 2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks for your help. I've managed to get the processor up to 2GHz while keeping the system stable, which has made a significant difference.

I set the FSB clock to 105 and the multiplier at 19 for this to work.

I've been pouring over the manuals and docs I got with the components when I built my PC but it's difficult to get a clear explanation of clock speeds etc so I can really understand what I'm doing.

Can you point me in the direction of any on-line guides that explain all of this?

Thanks again.
Old 12th February, 2006, 11:41 AM
AOA Staff

What memory do you have? E.g. PC3200 or PC2700 or ?
Old 12th February, 2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The reason I tried it was mu chip seemed to be only running at 1.15Mhz which seemed slow.
some boards set FSB to 100MHz as default. this is why your cpu is only running at 1150MHz (100MHz x 11.5). if I'm right, you should have a 2600+ with barton core. set FSB to 166MHz and cpu multi to 11.5. this should work fine.
Old 12th February, 2006, 05:26 PM
Steve Jobs

A BIOS update might not be a bad idea as well. There may be a new BIOS for that board that supports the Bartons properly (if that is what it is).
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2006, 08:49 PM

You also may have a JCLCK jumper you need to fiddle with.
Old 13th February, 2006, 01:26 PM

Hi Danrok - it's PC2700.

The chip isn't Barton.

I will alter to 166 x 10.5 as you recommend.

Again, for my education, what is the significance of FSB running at 166MHz? This is where I start to get confused......

Motherboard says it can run (from memory as I'm now at work)...200/333/400MHz. Does this relate just to the memory that I've used (333 as it happens)

How does this relate to the 166 MHz FSB setting? Should they match to get better performance or are they unrelated?
Old 13th February, 2006, 01:33 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

if its a standard "thoroughbred c" 2600 then I think the standard multiplier is 12.5x with a 166mhz front side bus.
Memory running the same speed as your cpu bus(166mhz) will equate to a 333mhz effectiver speed hence the term DDR333 (DDR= Double Data Rate).

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2006, 04:07 PM

If he has successfully set his multiplier to 19 and his default is 12.5 then his board supports 5-bit multipliers...
Old 14th February, 2006, 12:05 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
You also may have a JCLCK jumper you need to fiddle with.
2 JCLK jumpers that can be used to set from 100 to 200 through 133 and 166 that form the base fsb since VIA chipset can't recognise the FID in the same manner as NVidia chipset.