AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February, 2006, 10:25 PM

Red face 9nda3j - fixed damage - need mind at ease

I had been finishing up a routine removal of dust and... *grumbles* ...cat hair from my system. While I was putting one of the small fans back in (southbridge HS fan?) I had a slight slip of the screwdriver due to getting a quick chill. I had thought nothing of it and finished putting it back.

Tried to start the system back up.. No go. Would not go beyond POST state "FF". After checking the area closely with a magnifier, I discover that my 'slip of the hand' had destroyed one of the components on the board (circled in red in the following image). http://mechresource.myvnc.com/upload/9nda3j_ouch.jpg

I cleared off what was left of the peice due it it being unrepairable. I then tried to power-up the board with that piece bypassed by temporarily bridging across the gap where the component used to be with a small peice of wire. Ok, it works and POSTS. I permanently bridged it with some rosin-core solder and am now using it as I type this.

Now the question is, what exactly was that component that had been broken off and what are the possible side-effects of it now not being there (bypassed)? The PC boots and seemingly runs fine so I'm unsure what the side-effects (if any) could be. Could someone enlighten me and thus help ease my mind on the matter?

AOA Team fah
Folding 24/7/365 under low-power conditions.
There's no excuse to not fold, so get to it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2006, 11:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Unfortunately, the pic is not of high enough resolution to be able to tell what the component was. At a guess, I'd say it was a resistor. Since bridging it with a piece of wire got the thing working again, I'd have to suspect it was a low value of resistance as well. However, without a much better picture of the area of the board in question, or better knowledge of the layout of that particular board (and probably both), there's no way to answer your question.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2006, 11:50 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Let me get a high res image of the board and I'll let you know - 5 mins
Old 13th February, 2006, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Gizmo.

That was a small section scaled up from the largest image I can google of my board-type. Being that I don't have a digital camera of any sort to take pictures, i had to resort to google.

The best image i can find of the board however would be >here<. It's the same model but it appears to be a different revision due to some areas of the board having fewer capacitors in some areas than mine. The area in question though is still the same.

I'll see if I can borrow one from my brother tomorrow so I can take a closer shot of it.

The PC however, is still functioning so you might be right on it being a low-value form of resistor.

All I can explain at the moment is that it was a smaller version of a larger one just above that which was circled in the image. A brown block with silver endcaps on it which were soldered to the board (looked nothing like the typical resistor with coloured banding). The one that was broken had 2 very thin wires running through the center of it evenly spaced from one end to the other on the inside through the material (brown block) they were encased in.

I'll see if I can find any better images...

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Chozo4; 14th February, 2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 13th February, 2006, 11:58 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Okay seeing this I see that it is only a very small resistor - almost a shunt - so you shouldn't have any problems - but don't quote me on that - just glad to hear that you are back up and running.
Attached Thumbnails
9nda3j - fixed damage - need mind at ease-epox-mb-ep-9nda3j-2d-l.jpg  
Old 14th February, 2006, 12:13 AM

Greatly appreciated andy, if it's just that then I won't worry much about it then. Was hoping that it wouldn't be anything big at all which would kill my board in a short-time (which thankfully it isn't).

Still kicking myself over such a blunder though but it's a lesson learned... don't be chilled during a routine clean and reassembly.

AOA Team fah