AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th April, 2006, 07:31 PM

High CPU Temp with 8NPA SLI

After a couple days with my new system:

Athlon 64 3000+
Epox 8NPA SLI
2GB A-DATA RAM
2 X eVGA Geforce 6800XT 256MB in SLI
Segate 80GB SATA HDD
Antec 500W Smartpower PSU

I got a CPU temp warning alarm. I opened the case to get more air in, but when running a game such as Obilivion or World or Warcraft I'm getting temps around 51-53 degrees. The alarm goes off at 55. I'm just wondering if the motherboard is reading the temp wrong. I put arctic silver thermal grease on the CPU when installing it. And the fan is always on full speed. Anyone have similar problems or a suggestion?
Old 8th April, 2006, 07:43 PM
AOA Staff

Which CPU cooler are you using?

Did you use a very thin layer of AS?

Is the CPU overclocked?

Have you increased the CPU voltage at all?

Are you using Cool 'n' Quiet?
Old 9th April, 2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Which CPU cooler are you using?

Did you use a very thin layer of AS?

Is the CPU overclocked?

Have you increased the CPU voltage at all?

Are you using Cool 'n' Quiet?
Used the Heatsink/Fan that came with the processor

I tried to apply as thin a layer as I could, maybe it was too thick though

No it is not overclocked

I have not touched CPU voltage

CnQ is disabled in bios, since I've seem many people complain about it.

Is this high for this processor?

Also, (as I've stated in another thread) I tried to use that nTune program to adjust performance, but it just locks up the PC.
Old 9th April, 2006, 09:31 PM

Seems like it may be a faulty sensor, or you have the HSF installed incorrectly.
Old 9th April, 2006, 11:02 PM

Guess I can try remounting the HSF. I don't like to remove it though, because on my last PC, I couldn't get it off without also pulling the CPU out (without unlocking it) fortunately the CPU wasn't damaged...but it freaks me out when that happens.
Old 9th April, 2006, 11:09 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That was a common thing to happen to the socket 478 Intel CPUs, it is much less common with more modern chips, so you should be OK!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th April, 2006, 11:45 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

That'll probably happen to me when i remove my Celeron D processor
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th April, 2006, 08:47 PM

So I took off the HSF and removed the AS5 from the HSF and CPU and reapplied. Not really getting much of a difference in temp though. With a closed case it hovers around 55-57C, but when I touch the Heatsink it is not really that hot to the touch, and I've been told 50+ should burn you. Nothing bad happens to my PC at this temp either (at least not yet). I'm guessing its a bad sensor.
Old 11th April, 2006, 09:16 PM
AOA Staff

Onboard sensors are a bit hit and miss.

I'd agree that touching metal at 50 C would be fairly painfull.

Even if it is at 50 C, it should not suffer any damage. The CPU would have to get up to over 100 C before it will fry.

BTW, before removing the heatsink, get the CPU up to max temp before removing it. The thermal paste becomes softer at higher temps, less risk of pulling the CPU out with the sink.
Old 13th April, 2006, 06:29 PM

According to AMDs spec sheet the 754's (which I think this is) are rated up to a case temp of 70 so this should be OK, I don't understand why the alarm is so low.

I recall my T'bred Athlon 32 used to hover around 56 whatever I tried as a cooling solution and had no problems - it did warm up the case though (the Barton that replaved it run 10 degrees cooler).
Old 13th April, 2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF
According to AMDs spec sheet the 754's (which I think this is) are rated up to a case temp of 70 so this should be OK, I don't understand why the alarm is so low.

I recall my T'bred Athlon 32 used to hover around 56 whatever I tried as a cooling solution and had no problems - it did warm up the case though (the Barton that replaved it run 10 degrees cooler).
Its what this Epox Thunder Probe was set at for an alarm. Plus I had a friend who said his processor never got about 40 degrees...but I think he has some major cooling gear on his. Seems to be playing/running fine though.
Old 14th April, 2006, 05:15 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUBean
Its what this Epox Thunder Probe was set at for an alarm. Plus I had a friend who said his processor never got about 40 degrees...but I think he has some major cooling gear on his. Seems to be playing/running fine though.
Perhaps your friend was using a different motherboard that read the temperature differently in BIOS.

Its all relative and subjective. My CPU was at 56 degrees for 4 hours last night re-encoding a dvd I'd ripped - possibly on someones Abit board or whatever it may have read 36 degrees. Yet the CPU would have been the actual same temperature.

1. Measure the temperature with a probe on your board.
2. Measure the temperature with a probe on someone elses board
3. If theres a delta of more than 3 degrees at constant ambient you can shoot me.
4. If you don't carry out steps 1,2 and possibly 3 then keep quiet.
Old 14th April, 2006, 10:41 AM

As its a new system I'd suggest you check all your temps under load - the kit you have will generate a lot of heat and could cause problems for the GPU's and North Bridge if you haven't got the airflow to shift it - but I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU temp on its own.

NVTemplogger will do the GPU's and Speedfan the Mobo sensors (if you mobo utility doesn't already do this).

As an addition to the other suggestions you should be able to calibrate your temp readings at startup in the morning when you should see something within 3-4 degrees of room temperature for a brief period - its usually best if you can do this on the bios screen and use this as a sanity check against what the windows apps tell you.
Old 14th April, 2006, 01:24 PM

If you are referring to your stock A64 heatsink, I can vouch that the stock heatsinks provide more than ample cooling especially at stock speeds.