AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th April, 2006, 04:16 PM

Problem with VGA card

hey,

I have a E-9NPA3 SLI but when I insert the VGA card there is a problem with the PCI-Express speed. Normally the speed of a PCI-E slot is 16X. When I installed the geforce 7900 gt and looked in display options, on the nVidia page it says: Bus PCI-Express 8X. This is the speed that it has to be if you work in SLI mode but I want to work in SingleCard mode because I only got one VGA card. Anyone knows where you can change the status/mode?

Thanks
Old 29th April, 2006, 04:18 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

*scratches head*

Uhhh someone posted about this a little while ago.... ummm...

Either some sort of jumper / switch on the mobo or a BIOS option I think

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2006, 04:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

by default it should be set to auto-speed in your BIOS. My motherboard makes it a little easier and just has a little add-on card that you flip over to choose between SLI and single vga.

I've just looked in your motherboard manual..took ages to get..damn 256/64 DSL connection

Without sounding like an idiot, do you have the PCIe video card in the primary slot?

Oh and ducdevil1210, if you're wondering what "paddle" people are referring to with the PCIe and running it at single/dual mode. Have a look at a pic of my motherboard

Last edited by membreya; 29th April, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2006, 05:32 PM

Ah, I see. With this card it is easy to find how to change, but without And yes I've put it in the primary slot. Schould I try it once in the secondary?

thanks
Old 29th April, 2006, 06:21 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

No harm in trying, but the speed should be 16x in the second slot aswell i should think, fairly universal. Got the latest bios update for your motherboard?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 29th April, 2006, 06:26 PM

Yep, I did that yesterday with Magic Bios program but no difference as you can see. I really don't know what I can do about it. Maybe it's something stupid you somewhere have to change but cannot find it.

Thanks
Old 29th April, 2006, 06:30 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

There's either something in the BIOS or the program is displaying an incorrect value. We need a miracle
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 30th April, 2006, 04:27 AM

Did you make sure that the small card in the spot between the 2 GPU slots is set for "Single Card" operation? That's the way it works on my 9NPA+SLi.
Old 30th April, 2006, 04:29 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

Aztec dude, if you take a look at his motherboard homepage, you will see on the picture that it doesn't have said card

ducdevil1210s mobo
Old 2nd May, 2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by membreya
Aztec dude, if you take a look at his motherboard homepage, you will see on the picture that it doesn't have said card

ducdevil1210s mobo
I hadn't seen pix of the NPA3.

Old 2nd May, 2006, 07:43 AM

I highly doubt 8x vs 16x really matters in some noticeable way.
Old 3rd May, 2006, 11:27 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Its a budget SLI board, with no Pericom, jumpers or paddle - and so they are physically 16x slots but electrically 8 x slots - nasty boards when they have a "3" in the model number if they EPoX and NForce 4
Old 3rd May, 2006, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

for my friends sli board there was a "chip" like thing in between the two pcie slots and i had a similar problem until i had found out that the chip had to be on one side for one card and the other for two cards
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:13 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw
for my friends sli board there was a "chip" like thing in between the two pcie slots and i had a similar problem until i had found out that the chip had to be on one side for one card and the other for two cards
Hello McFly - is there anyone in there ?

Its a budget SLI board, with no Pericom, jumpers or paddle - and so they are physically 16x slots but electrically 8 x slots
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:15 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
I highly doubt 8x vs 16x really matters in some noticeable way.

Anything 7800GT or above or X1800XT or above should be able to saturate the bus (or at least be impaired in performance) at 8x electrical connection
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:16 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec61
I hadn't seen pix of the NPA3.

But blindly gave advice on it
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:18 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
No harm in trying, but the speed should be 16x in the second slot aswell i should think, fairly universal. Got the latest bios update for your motherboard?

A PCI Express slots physical apperance doesn't mean anything in relation to its electrical connection other than that the electrical connection will be equal to or less than the connector size would state.

If the second slot were to be 16x as well, the chipset would have more than one BGA in it for an NForce 4 socket 939 board.

A BIOS update cannot change the electrical or physical state of the mainboard.
Old 8th May, 2006, 01:20 AM

Yes, I've done the latest update but now I see that's it in the manual of the motherboard. There it says thats it's 2*8 and that you cannot change it. I send a mail to epox for this, because on the main site they give wrong information. There you see that it's 2*16 PCI Express busses like the other motherboards only in the manual there's the difference.

Thanks for all the information
Old 8th May, 2006, 06:10 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

No the website gives the correct information - it says there are 2 x 16x connectors compliant with the PCI Express 1.0a spec - which they are.
Old 10th May, 2006, 01:55 PM

Yes ok physically they are but they don't work at 16X and you cannot turn it to 16X. Actually it's made for only use in SLI mode and that isn't on their website, only in the manual. I couldn't know this was for SLI only, you should think if you put in only one card that it will work at 16X, that would be logical but it's not like that. So it's a bit their fault to not say it clearly on their main site.

Thanks