AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th May, 2006, 04:59 PM

Silenced EPoX 9NPA+ SLi Chipset Fan

Hi, Folks!

I got a 9NPA+ SLi with this low-quality - high-noise chipset fan.
Now I've modded the cooler with an Papst 412 FM.

First you have to remove the frame around the fan. Remove the cooler from the chipset an clean the chip from the old themal grease. Paste new thermal grease on it.
Then use doublesided tape to mount the fan on the original cooler an remount the modded chipset cooler.

It looks like in the attachments and...
It works fine & silent!
Attached Thumbnails
Silenced EPoX 9NPA+ SLi Chipset Fan-chipsatz_innen.jpg   Silenced EPoX 9NPA+ SLi Chipset Fan-chipsatz_seite.jpg  
Old 5th May, 2006, 05:49 PM

Nice... those "open" fans always looked more uncomfortable to mess with then the ones with screw holes.
Old 8th May, 2006, 12:25 PM

Neat mod. I might be doing something similar to mine, if the OEM fan turns out to be too noisy.

Hey, you forgot to put the "EPoX" sticker onto the new fan. Surely a fashion faux pas!
Old 8th May, 2006, 01:40 PM

I oiled the second 8RDA3+ Pro (gosh I'm tired of typing "Pro"...) fan today but the 9NPAJ has been quiet thus far, cross fingers. Let me mention again that the sticky tape is brilliant.
Old 8th May, 2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

Erm, might seem like a stupid question, but doesn't the heat from the cooler cause the double-sided sticky tape to lose it's hold?
Old 8th May, 2006, 02:28 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Not if it's thermal tape, and the HSF is held on with the white pins anyhow

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2006, 12:45 AM

I dont know if it was originally this loud but my chipset fan had to go, I applied AS5 and replaced the fan with a 5v 80mm fan in the general direction and the graphics card. I know have a 120mm for graphics memory so Im wondering if the 80mm could go completely. I stuck a tiny heatsink where the fan used to be since it looked a little bare.