AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd May, 2006, 08:28 PM

9NPA VDroop Update thread

Following the previous thread about Vdroop on the 9NPA series of boards I wondered if anyone had had anymore luck since then, has anyone fixed the problem or found a more accurate vcore?

On the previous thread there were pictures on where to put the multimeter probes on the 9NPA+ Ultra to measure the vcore but where do you stick the second wire, could someone explain it to me. heres the picture
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/jaska915/kuv...01183154-2.jpg
Old 23rd May, 2006, 10:06 PM

Second wire goes to ground, location is irrelevant but case for example could be a good starting point...
Old 24th May, 2006, 07:49 AM

Ok thanks mate, does the other wire actually touch the copper wiring?
Old 24th May, 2006, 12:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to ochest

I'd like to try this out too; does anyone have any detailed instructions of how exactly to measure the V Core using a multimeter?

My board with CPU voltage selected as "off" in the BIOS is 1.525 idle and 1.49 under load. How does this compare with everyone else?
I Current Speed 2695mhz (11x245) RAM @ 2.5-2-2-7 2.7V 245Mhz I
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2006, 12:40 PM

I want detailed instructions as well , jaska915 make us a guide please
Old 24th May, 2006, 05:27 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

I suppose the thread could be renamed PSU VDroop update thread
Old 24th May, 2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_andy_c
I suppose the thread could be renamed PSU VDroop update thread
But is it the PSUs fault that the vcore drops so much under load, I dont think so. I'd expect the vcore to droop a little but not by as much as 0.05v
Old 26th May, 2006, 03:46 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

So read the specification of the Vreg for the mainboard and the way it works on pull up.
Old 26th May, 2006, 04:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

All the points circled/squared in red should be the output from the coils. Their PD should be very close to each other, so it shouldn't matter which you pick. This isn't *quite* the PD that the CPU will see, but should be close enough.

Without knowing the layout of the power planes in the board, I'd suggest going for either of the ground lines in the 4pin power connector circled/squared in green. That should be pretty close to the value of the local ground.

If you are bored, you could connect your multimeter across the coil in the yellow square and measure the PD across it. That'll give you an idea of the power losses in the input filter to the VCORE regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
9NPA VDroop Update thread-20050301183154-2.jpg  
Old 27th May, 2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Without knowing the layout of the power planes in the board, I'd suggest going for either of the ground lines in the 4pin power connector circled/squared in green. That should be pretty close to the value of the local ground.
Can I not connect to the case for the ground as suggested earlier? How can I measure the ground from the 4 pin connector with the 4 pin cable already in there?
Old 29th May, 2006, 09:08 AM

Well guys, I measured the vcore yesterday but was using the case as a grounding point. I put the volts to +0.05v in the BIOS, which is 1.55v reported by cpu-z, EPTP/USDM when Idle. The Multimeter reading was an alarming 1.65v!!! I'm not really too happy about this, would using the case as a grounding point affect the value? It seems that the board overvolts by 0.1 and that AUTO in the BIOS is 1.6v
Old 29th May, 2006, 09:13 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Using the case is what I normally do when measuring voltage, are you measuring under load? try setting the bios to auto and see what the reading is. using the software tools to monitor voltage is never accurate so the board may not be overvolting that much, just set to 1.6v and measure at the same point as before. Because if the software is inaccurate and your "auto" is 1.6v you have increased it by 0.05v then your reading of 1.65v would not be an overvolt at all.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2006, 10:46 AM

The thing is there are no real voltage options in the bios like 1.5v, 1.6v etc, they are only
+0.05, +0.1v, etc so I'm not really sure what AUTO is, I will try and measure it later but dont have a multimeter with me atm. I was measuring with +0.05v in the BIOS, this was recorded as 1.55v in windows IDLE and 1.65v with multimeter IDLE, silly me forgot to test under load, I will do that later hopefully. I'm currently thinking that AUTO is 1.6v IDLE but not sure under load
Old 29th May, 2006, 11:45 AM

Can other people test the voltage on their board to see if they get similar results please
Old 29th May, 2006, 11:54 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

The 1.55v recorded in windows is likely to be fairly inaccurate, you shouldn't base any conclusions on these readouts. they are often upto 10% inaccurate.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2006, 11:58 AM

Ok thanks, shall I assume that AUTO means 1.6v for the time being? I will test it again later
Old 29th May, 2006, 12:01 PM

im not familiar with your board in particular so I couldnt say for sure, try googling it.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2006, 07:02 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1280
Ok thanks, shall I assume that AUTO means 1.6v for the time being? I will test it again later

Auto is higher than the real default of your CPU to allow for if you run real-time-turbo.
Old 29th May, 2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_andy_c
Auto is higher than the real default of your CPU to allow for if you run real-time-turbo.
Sorry whats real-time-turbo?
Old 29th May, 2006, 08:34 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

An automatic overclocking tool provided by IC on the mainboard. Its for people who aren't very technically adept or don't understand overclocking / voltages / currents etc.