AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th September, 2006, 06:23 PM

Best Processor for Epox EP-8RDA6+PRO?

I have an AMD 3300+ right now, and i want the best processor. mainly for Gaming and the Internet.
Memory 2GB
Motherboard EPOX EP-8RDA6+PRO
PowerSupply 550 Watt

Thanks

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is Yamboo29's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please post all welcome messages there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
Old 8th September, 2006, 07:00 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, Yamboo29! Would you please give us some more information? Do you want to buy a new mainboard? Do you want a dual-core processor?
Old 8th September, 2006, 07:12 PM

well i dont why my first reply didnt post yet but...

I'm just looking for the best processor for the epox EP-8rda6+PRO Motherboard. it support AMD Athlon XP, AMD Athlon XP Barton, AMD Duron, AMD Athlon, AMD Sempron processors. my question is, what is the fastest processor for gaming and the internet?
Old 8th September, 2006, 07:41 PM

Good luck with finding the "fastest processor" for Socket A in non-used condition. If you have a 3300+, then you're doing pretty good considering that the fastest sold out of the box is a 3200+.

Last edited by jnansley; 8th September, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
Good luck with finding the "fastest processor" for Socket A in non-used condition. If you have a 3300+, then you're doing pretty good considering that the fastest sold out of the box is a 3200+.
This was a combo from Tigerdirect.com about a year ago. I was supposed to get a Biostar motherboard and processor. dunno why i was sent this. but it had more pci slots and seems to have more features so i didnt complain. right now i am overclocking to 2.37GHz and the cpu tempture is 40C/104F voltage between 1.65.0v and 1.715v (set to auto) clock ratio is default FSB Frequency set to 216MHz CPU interface is set to Aggressive. if i set the FSB Frequency to 225MHz windows wont boot, and causes pc to reboot. if FSB is set to 228MHz then it wont go into the bios. (just hangs) monitor stops coming on at 230MHz. power supply is 550 watt. with 2 fans.

Memory info. I have 1 stick of pc2700 ddr 333mhz (bios detects it as 523MB) I have another stick of 1GB pc2700 ddr on the way.

Memory Frequency BY SPD
Resulting Frequency 180MHz

Memory Timings Aggressive T (RAS) - 7 T (RCD) - 3
T (RP)-3 CAS Latency -2.5

Memory precharge - enabled.

My system has a themaltake blower fan on the cpu.
four case fans (plus an extra blower)
artic silver number 5 was used between heatsink and cpu.
any suggestion on what I should do if i'm gonna overclock it even more? cool the chipset? what else?

Thanks
Old 10th September, 2006, 03:23 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Unfortunately in modern day games no matter how overclocked, a socket A system will fall very short in performance and not offer sufficient system resources for the best available AGP-able GPU's or GPU's and bridges.

If you get a 3200 you are not going to gain anything other than a pre-defined instability due to the native 200/400 FSB/MEM clk of that processor in NF2 (unless its the HP OEM 333FSB 3200).

I would concur with Jnansley - for that architecture you are unfortunatley at the top of the tree.

Getting those CPU's is a hit and miss ebay affair, and an expense that won't garner you any real improvements. You may be better with some low latency memory, but then you have the issue of spending a great deal of money on essentially obsolete memory. DDR2 is here, and DDR3 is coming.
Old 1st October, 2006, 10:06 AM

There is no point in overclocking the cpu further. The performance gain will be mimimum and u will probably just burn your processor. Get an Athlon 64 or an Core 2 Duo and lose the sistem cause it's REALLY obsolete. Or just use it from now on as it is still ok, if u don't have the money

Last edited by Andrei80; 5th October, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2006, 11:04 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei80
loose the sistem cause it's REALLY obsolete.
I resent that!

It's faster than mine!!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st October, 2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
There is no point in overclocking the cpu further. The performance gain will be mimimum and u will probably just burn your processor. Get an Athlon 64 or an Core 2 Duo and loose the sistem cause it's REALLY obsolete. Or just use it from now on as it is still ok, if u don't have the money
It isn't REALLY obsolete. An Athlon 64 bit system is still a capable and powerful system and theres nothing wrong with what he's got. Just not cutting edge - but then the cutting edge is always changing, so you could say nothing is cutting edge.
Core Duo is currently a poor purchase choice as around Christmas the new Kentsfield quad-cores will be out....and they eat Conroe alive. So buying a Conroe now when just a few weeks down the line will get you Kentsfield for a similar price.....doesn't make that much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 1st October, 2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 1st October, 2006, 11:35 PM

You're absolutely right in saying an nforce2 system in itself isn't obsolete. Mine is still pretty good and I also still outperform a bunch of A64 systems in many apps. It is however end of life and the top of the tree as said. There is no real room for upgrading that would yield sufficient results. Not CPU-wise and not graphics-wise.

The best processor for socket A is not the 3300+ or 3200+ or whatever. It's a mobile XP-M barton, probably widely available on the 2nd hand market and a lot cheaper than those two mentioned above.

I'm also not sure wheather quad cored CPU's will yield any real benefits at this time or the near future.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21

Last edited by Wolf2000me; 1st October, 2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 5th October, 2006, 06:35 PM

My Barton 2500+@ 2300mhz was limiting my 6800GT to about 18000marks in 3dmark01. Stock A64 3200+ brought me to about 23000marks. Now, 6800gt isn't really a great performer, by my standards and it is still limited by the Barton system.
WHere does a XP outperform an A64? hmm...
Anybody tell me please how to make a signature(sys specs)

Last edited by Andrei80; 5th October, 2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 5th October, 2006, 06:38 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Sig options are in the User CP

I dont think a barton is better than an A64 in any regards tbh.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 5th October, 2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
My Barton 2500+@ 2300mhz was limiting my 6800GT to about 18000marks in 3dmark01. Stock A64 3200+ brought me to about 23000marks. Now, 6800gt isn't really a great performer, by my standards and it is still limited by the Barton system.
WHere does a XP outperform an A64? hmm...
Anybody tell me please how to make a signature(sys specs)
I'm not saying an XP outperforms an A64 lol. My XP-M outperforms certain A64 systems, such as a friend of mines A64 3500+ Venice stock and then overclocked to 2400Mhz. We both tested with a 6800Gt at stock. We ran the FEAR demo graphics test, AMD n-bench 3.1, super pi and Doom3. I won in all of them except for super pi.
The A64 has bad cooling however and mine is a WC setup.

I am looking at core2 duos and A64 X2s and the likes but my system doesn't urgently need improvement. I can easily manage several months and still run everything. Not on high quality but certainly medium. We'll see with the next batch of games and apps
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21