AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th September, 2006, 06:08 AM

EPoX 8RDA3I Pro stuck on "F2" post code.

'Lo all.

A while back I had a bad flash on my 8RDA3I, and the chip was ka-put. Before that the board was running like a champion. The board appears to be in good physical health, and none of the caps are swelling/leaking.

So, I ordered my self a new chip and it arrived today - only problem is it won't boot past "F2". The manual doesn't say what "F2" means, nor does any of the 'normal' recovery stuff work. (And a google around for "F2" brings mixed results )

I've tried 4 different sticks of RAM, from Kingston PC2700, to Infineon PC2100, to my normal PC3200 GeIL(which worked fine before the bad flash, and have been running on a different board ever since). All the hardware, besides the EPoX board I know work - as they're working right now.

The new chip was pre-flashed, so I'm wondering if there may be a problem with the bios used. (It is the latest.) Does anyone know of any problems? I have another nforce2 board so I -could- re-flash it.

I hope I'm just missing something really small here...

Hardware:
EPoX 8RDA3I Pro
AMD XP-M 2500+
2 x 256MB GeIL DDR400 PC3200 (Dual Channel set.)
Albatron 6600 (Tried a FX5500, 9550, and an old SiS I had lying around.)
BIOS 05.08.24
Old 14th September, 2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight
'Lo all.

A while back I had a bad flash on my 8RDA3I, and the chip was ka-put. Before that the board was running like a champion. The board appears to be in good physical health, and none of the caps are swelling/leaking.

So, I ordered my self a new chip and it arrived today - only problem is it won't boot past "F2". The manual doesn't say what "F2" means, nor does any of the 'normal' recovery stuff work. (And a google around for "F2" brings mixed results )

I've tried 4 different sticks of RAM, from Kingston PC2700, to Infineon PC2100, to my normal PC3200 GeIL(which worked fine before the bad flash, and have been running on a different board ever since). All the hardware, besides the EPoX board I know work - as they're working right now.

The new chip was pre-flashed, so I'm wondering if there may be a problem with the bios used. (It is the latest.) Does anyone know of any problems? I have another nforce2 board so I -could- re-flash it.

I hope I'm just missing something really small here...

Hardware:
EPoX 8RDA3I Pro
AMD XP-M 2500+
2 x 256MB GeIL DDR400 PC3200 (Dual Channel set.)
Albatron 6600 (Tried a FX5500, 9550, and an old SiS I had lying around.)
BIOS 05.08.24
I suggest you reflash the chip. It might contain the wrong bios for your board.
But first, reset the bios using the jumper and boot up with the insert key pressed. If it doesn't work your chip most likely has a bad bios version.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th September, 2006, 10:43 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The bios used was dapp5824. (Can't post link, it's the top on on epox europe -> socket 462 -> EP-8RDA3I-Pro) Could you link me to a 'known good one' for the EP-8RDA3I-Pro?

Also I was swapping things in and out madly, and forgot to put the speaker in... When I did, it tells me off for not having RAM installed, even though the post code still says F2. So at least it looks like it is picking up the RAM. (Doesn't beep with or without a video card though.)

I've ordered a PCI video card, partially to see if it'll work, and partially because I need one any ways. If I can't boot with it, I'll flash the bios.
Old 15th September, 2006, 12:33 AM

Hey,

I have no idea on the bios history of your board so your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe you could ask Merlin for a modded one
PM him here or ask in HSLAB which is, I think, Polish however you can get an answer in English.
http://forum.hslab.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1962

As to your issue.

Your board should beep without a videocard.
If I understand this correctly your board does beep when your memory is not correctly installed?
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th September, 2006, 01:30 AM

Yeah, it beeps without the RAM in it.

I don't usually have the internal speaker wired up (can't stand it), so I missed it while I was testing the first time around.

What exactly does the post code "F2" mean any ways?

Edit: Just while I think of it, I've already tried booting with Insert held down, and it makes no difference. I've cleared the CMOS countless times and removed the power and battery for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times, but still nothing.

Last edited by DarkKnight; 15th September, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 15th September, 2006, 01:08 PM

F2 or 2F doesn't really mean anything. Just lookup the order in which the debug LED is showing its codes and see between which procedures it shows F2.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 15th September, 2006, 09:52 PM

It jumps strait from C1 to F2. =/
(Nothing in between.)

Update: Just flashed the bios to dapp4805. Same thing. I'm guessing the file is correct, as it's the one off EPoX's website. I am wondering though... what is the big difference between the EP-8RDA+Pro and the EP-8RDA3I-Pro? They have different BIOs's, but virtually the same features and the same manual.
(And are virtually identical boards, minus the IEEE on the 8RDA+Pro.)

Last edited by DarkKnight; 15th September, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 16th September, 2006, 01:54 PM

With those kind of boards the difference is usually one chip. Epox often uses the same PCB for many boards but changes certain chips.

With these boards, Epox has used the same PCB layout as all the other pro boards. I first noticed this when I removed the label on the board. It's glued on it and to my surprise instead of 8RDA6+Pro there stood 8RDA3I Pro. Prolly because that one is the most basic.

If you look at both PCB's (8RDA pro & 8RDA3I pro) you can see two places for a chip. One is a VIA chip and the other is the SI raid chip. Both are missing on the x3I pro.

http://www.epox.nl/images/products/m...i-pro_full.jpg
http://www.epox.nl/images/products/m...a+pro_full.jpg

C1 is the memory init. So that's pretty much your problem. Your board might be damaged I'm afraid.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 17th September, 2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
With those kind of boards the difference is usually one chip. Epox often uses the same PCB for many boards but changes certain chips.

With these boards, Epox has used the same PCB layout as all the other pro boards. I first noticed this when I removed the label on the board. It's glued on it and to my surprise instead of 8RDA6+Pro there stood 8RDA3I Pro. Prolly because that one is the most basic.

If you look at both PCB's (8RDA pro & 8RDA3I pro) you can see two places for a chip. One is a VIA chip and the other is the SI raid chip. Both are missing on the x3I pro.

http://www.epox.nl/images/products/m...i-pro_full.jpg
http://www.epox.nl/images/products/m...a+pro_full.jpg

C1 is the memory init. So that's pretty much your problem. Your board might be damaged I'm afraid.
I guessed as much about the PCB's.

Would there be any way to check if it is in fact the memory? The reason I ask is because my PCI Post card stops on 54, which is a video init code.

I do wonder how the board could be damaged though... There aren't any signs of damage. =/ My only thought is what ever caused the bad flash also effected the board... because it never booted after that... =[

If it is damaged though, then that really sucks... AUD$40 bucks down the tube for a BIOS chip. Couldn't claim it as insurance, since there's an excess that's worth more then the board. And the board it's self is over 2 years old... I really like my board though...