AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th September, 2006, 09:00 PM

EP-8RDA6+PRO Support high Density Memory?

Does anybody know if the EPoX EP-8RDA6+PRO Supports High Density Memory?

Thanks
Old 17th September, 2006, 09:07 PM

If you're thinking about 2Gb DDR RAM, don't do it if you want to overclock. Knowing the board to be very picky with memory you could be in for a lot of trouble.

The nforce2 ultra memory controller doesn't cope well with larger amounts of memory. And it helps if you post the specific memory which you're thinking about.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
If you're thinking about 2Gb DDR RAM, don't do it if you want to overclock. Knowing the board to be very picky with memory you could be in for a lot of trouble.

The nforce2 ultra memory controller doesn't cope well with larger amounts of memory. And it helps if you post the specific memory which you're thinking about.
little late... i went and bought high denesty memory (PC2700 333mhz 1GB) I dont think its compatible. how do i tell if this board support high densty?

Last edited by Yamboo29; 18th September, 2006 at 01:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2006, 08:42 AM

Not many boards support high density memory. High density memory is cheap but it's still not worth your money.

High density memory isn't a good thing and the name can be very confusing. There's nothing good about this "high" thing and the density of the memory is still the same as it probably still uses 16 chips, they're just placed on one side and organized in a 16x4 to get to a 64 bits wide memory bank. This means that the memory controller needs to talk to 16 chips in one 64 bit memory bank, which doubles the effort for the thing. And with 2Gb in total it's already struggling with normal memory.

And why did you buy PC2700 memory? DDR these days is quite cheap. The best thing to do now is get some decent 2x512mb PC3200 memory modules to work in dual channel. If 1Gb of system memory isn't enough for you, you might be better off on a newer platform as overclocking with 2Gb on nforce2 is very limited.

Why are you posting threads, asking advice, getting advice and then do something else?
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 20th September, 2006, 10:10 PM

actually ddr memory isnt cheap... not at $109 a stick for pc2700. but then again i seen pc3200 for $80.00. now a year ago it was cheap when i paid $50.00 for 1GB. one other thing... is there a reason why my system is only seeing 522mb (windows xp see 512mb) instead of 1GB?? one EPoX saids it because it's ddr, and i need another stick of ddr 1gb pc2700 for the bios to see the rest. but other have told me the bios should see the full amount with another stick. you have any idea how this works?
Old 20th September, 2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Why are you posting threads, asking advice, getting advice and then do something else?
Do you have a problem with me posting threads? and i'm not just creating threads and doing else. they are all about the memory problem i am having with this board.
Old 21st September, 2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamboo29
actually ddr memory isnt cheap... not at $109 a stick for pc2700. but then again i seen pc3200 for $80.00. now a year ago it was cheap when i paid $50.00 for 1GB. one other thing... is there a reason why my system is only seeing 522mb (windows xp see 512mb) instead of 1GB?? one EPoX saids it because it's ddr, and i need another stick of ddr 1gb pc2700 for the bios to see the rest. but other have told me the bios should see the full amount with another stick. you have any idea how this works?
With high density DDR that is one of the possible problems. As I posted, a high density stick uses double the amount of chips per bank, which doubles the effort for the memory controller. It's very likely that the nforce2 memory controller only sees the first 8 chips per bank as it is supposed to. And it is the most reported problem with high density memory next to simply not booting.

I got my memory last year for 100€ on the second hand market. This is in Belgium which is a small country with a small market.
If you want 2gb of memory and overclock the hell out of it you're using the wrong platform.

Quote:
Do you have a problem with me posting threads? and i'm not just creating threads and doing else. they are all about the memory problem i am having with this board.
Whoa, easy there

First of all, it would have been a lot simpler if you could stick to one thread. That way it's easier for us to follow up on your problem.
I did recommend you earlier to get PC3200 memory and then I recommended against high density memory. It's cheaper yes but there's a reason for it, described earlier.

Just take your time, read the 8RDA6+Pro romsip mod thread. It's big, yes, but there's tons of info on it for this board we both are using. A lot of memory problems have been handled as well as that seems to be the major issue with this board. But with the right memory and settings this board is highly overclockable.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 21st September, 2006, 01:08 AM

Dang those newts!
Old 25th September, 2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
With high density DDR that is one of the possible problems. As I posted, a high density stick uses double the amount of chips per bank, which doubles the effort for the memory controller. It's very likely that the nforce2 memory controller only sees the first 8 chips per bank as it is supposed to. And it is the most reported problem with high density memory next to simply not booting.

I got my memory last year for 100€ on the second hand market. This is in Belgium which is a small country with a small market.
If you want 2gb of memory and overclock the hell out of it you're using the wrong platform.

Whoa, easy there

First of all, it would have been a lot simpler if you could stick to one thread. That way it's easier for us to follow up on your problem.
I did recommend you earlier to get PC3200 memory and then I recommended against high density memory. It's cheaper yes but there's a reason for it, described earlier.

Just take your time, read the 8RDA6+Pro romsip mod thread. It's big, yes, but there's tons of info on it for this board we both are using. A lot of memory problems have been handled as well as that seems to be the major issue with this board. But with the right memory and settings this board is highly overclockable.
I'm not gonna install some bios mod until i know for certain that it wont deystroy my computers bios.
Old 25th September, 2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec61
Dang those newts!
newts?

.... lest i can stay on Topic!

Last edited by Yamboo29; 25th September, 2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 26th September, 2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not gonna install some bios mod until i know for certain that it wont deystroy my computers bios.
If you use the correct switches it won't get corrupted and you can't really physically damage the bios chip with it. However I understand why you're being careful. However this one has been used by many users, including myself. And I've been running my board with it for over two years.

The cool thing about this mod is that it brings more memory stability so you might want to try it. It's really not that much different from flashing your bios chip to an official one, except for the required command line switches in awdflash.exe.

Quote:
newts?
I think it was a joke
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Last edited by Wolf2000me; 26th September, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 27th September, 2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
newts?

.... lest i can stay on Topic!
Yeah, newts. As in n00bs, as in newbies. Look directly below your moniker.

Ah, never mind....

Last edited by aztec61; 27th September, 2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 6th October, 2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, newts. As in n00bs, as in newbies. Look directly below your moniker.

Ah, never mind....

I knew what you meant, i was asking why you calling me a noob, when this subject has nothing what so ever to do with it? what? you think just because your in the aoaforums, you know more than me about pcs?
Old 6th October, 2006, 09:40 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

TBH You'Re both pwned by the might that is the Komodo Dragon...

'Nuff said! :P

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 6th October, 2006, 09:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Alright fellas, let's settle down here a bit.

Yamboo, it is obvious you're getting frustrated. I can't blame you for that. But Wolf has a point; it would be a lot easier to help you if you could post all of your questions regarding this memory topic in the same thread, since they are all related questions.

As for Aztec's comment, I believe he was just poking a little fun to try to lighten the mood. Don't read more into it than is there.
Old 7th October, 2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo

As for Aztec's comment, I believe he was just poking a little fun to try to lighten the mood. Don't read more into it than is there.
Correct. At least someone around here has a sense of humor.

Old 7th October, 2006, 04:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Correct. At least someone around here has a sense of humor.

Only on odd Thursdays, under a full moon, during leap year.

Oh wait. Yesterday was Friday. Must've been an off day for me or something.
Old 7th October, 2006, 04:47 PM

Humor is nothing to laugh about, giz. I think yer slippin'. Get back on track now, hear?

What's not going to be funny for example, is how I'm going to feel today after I return from the killer bike ride I'm going on in a few minutes...about 70 miles of killer hills and haulin' ass.

My next report may be from the hospital! Wish me ruck!