AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2006, 04:25 AM

Decisions to make!!!

I am waitng on my new board to show up from epox. I decided on the 8KDA3+. I will be putting a 3400 on it and will be trying to perform a few tricks on it. One is having aboard that doesn't die when I use it.

8kda3+
3400 semp
1x60g seagate
2x120g seagates w/cache IDE
2x160g seagates SATA
1g twinx c2
9700 pro (modded) or 9800 aiw
Win2k

In the past I ran sysoft and epox mb monitors for my Oc's. As I was looking through the files here there are quite a few more utilities for monitoring/overclocking.

So what utility or utilities will be easier to use for running an oc? I see some adjust in windows?

And since this chip is a bit older it has been hard to find out what is the stock voltage of it? I see several different utilities that may identify the chip without pulling it from my present board.

I seem to remember it was 1.5v but don't remember for sure. In my current pos in hardware it shows running voltage at 1.5 but I seem to remember the voltage is variable depending on load? And as we all know the windbond chips are rarely acurate.

ET will there be any conflict using ide and sata drives in this config for raid? I will be installing the os on the 60 and running 2 seperate raid arrays? This is my thought anyhow.

If it is possible what would be the proper install of the os and the raid drivers? Set up array in bios first? Install raid drivers during os install first?? Somewhere in my memory banks I seem to remember there were different ways and procedures for setting up raid to be able to adjust packet size while in windows. This asus pos made me forget everything I learned from my sig board. BTW My sig board still runs great.(even though I killed it once, TG for epox repairs)

HHHhmmmmm, Since I will be running W2k what will be the correct drivers for raid? I see how WinXP has seperate 64 bit drivers. Which set do I use for W2k? I see F6 drivers for Nvidia and silicone image. Wow I will be at this for a while.

Well off to find out what to load at what time. Hopefully Nvidia will have a little bit more info on loading up the drivers.
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
160g x 2 Seagate mirrored

Last edited by gryphyn; 20th September, 2006 at 04:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2006, 09:36 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Win XP 64bit drivers are because the 64bit version of Win XP requires 64bit drivers. As far as I know, there is no 64bit version of Win2K, so you don't have to worry about it.

Where are you going to install the OS? On one of the RAID arrays, or on the single disk?
Old 20th September, 2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphyn
My sig board still runs great.(even though I killed it once, TG for epox repairs)
I bet it does, I always wanted one back in the day.
Old 21st September, 2006, 02:02 AM

Yes I will be installing the os on the single disc. Until I get a 3rd to run 0+1 I feel better having it there. Thanks for the input on the 64 bit that answers that portion of the loading process.

I ask about the loading process because on my sig board I had to tinker with it for quite a while to get the right packet sizes for perforamance then I found on the VIA site to install raid drivers in windows set up, then set the array in windows then set the striping in BIOS.

This solved several problems getting them to run smoothly and quickly. It also allowed me to change the packet sizes in windows. If I set bios first that was not possible. Are nvidia and sililcon drivers the same way? The online manual didn't seem to be specific in that regards
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
160g x 2 Seagate mirrored
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!