AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd October, 2006, 01:47 PM

Merlin BIOS for 8RDA3+ PRO

Hello guys, I just put together a system that I bought parts for a few years ago, when they just started locking the Barton cores and stopped making BH-5.

I got my hands on an unlocked 2800+ and some Kingston HyperX PC3000 that had the Winbond BH-5 chips.

I bought an Epox 8RDA3+ PRO mobo just recently and hooked everything up, but I can only get to 200MHZ before memtest starts to fail on any timings. I have 2.9 DIMM Voltage set and already found the FSB (with the RAM running at 50%) can max out at about 235MHZ. I have been looking for the Merlin BIOS for the 8RDA3+ PRO but can only find one for the 8RDA3+ and I'm not sure if that will work. I'm guessing I'll need the L12 mod to get my memory any higher. I'm running the CPU interface at Optimal as Aggressive errors on Memtest. I also had CPU down to 5.0x while running memtest to make sure its not cpu limiting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is TheGodfather's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please post all welcome messages there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
Old 3rd October, 2006, 05:38 PM

You came to the right place

This is the thread you're looking for:
8RDA6+ Pro Romsip Mod

Read post #2 by yours truly for a summary. I'm sure you'll find the rest very interesting as well.

The thread leading to the modded bios is here:
Low memory bandwidth - 8RDA +/3+/6+ PRO!

Anyhow...

The L12 mod is for CPU types with a default FSB of 133 Mhz. However I've seen benefits with others as well.
You also don't want to run out of synch. So run the memory at 100% otherwise you suffer a huge performance and stability hit.
Run the CPU interface on aggressive as it brings performance and doesn't affect stability a lot.
Also note that multipliers also affect memory bandwidth slightly.
Don't bother playing with the chipset voltage. It is adjustable but it doesn't help stability a lot.
With BH-5 memory types you'd probably need a bit more than 2.9v.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks Wolf.

I did try flashing the Merlin BIOS, flashed fine and booted, loaded up MEMtest and it froze, when I rebooted wouldnt start so I tried unplugging the cord, that let it boot up to 33% off the POST code reader and then froze, so I cleared the CMOS and then got it to load again. After that scare I just flashed back to the original BIOS and everything is good now. I think I'm just gonna keep playing with the original BIOS for now.

I wish I could get more than 2.9 on the DIMM as I'm sure they could handle it, but BIOS only goes up to 2.9, not sure of any volt mods out there.

Thanks Again. I'll keep you updated on how I do.
Old 3rd October, 2006, 11:19 PM

That's strange. Could you explain a bit more on how you did the flash itself? If you flashed the bios correctly, with the specified awdflash switches, it should work as it should. I've been using this mod on every 8RDA6+Pro I've had in my hands and all of them are doing great.

However if your machine is unstable it is certainly not recommended to do a bios flash. It could produce all kind of results.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Run the CPU interface on aggressive as it brings performance and doesn't affect stability a lot.
Do you have a reliable bit of information on that? I think I've read that the "aggressive" setting actually loosens the CPU<->Chipset timings a bit to allow higher FSB. Maybe andy will jump in.
Old 4th October, 2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
Do you have a reliable bit of information on that? I think I've read that the "aggressive" setting actually loosens the CPU<->Chipset timings a bit to allow higher FSB. Maybe andy will jump in.

Well I have always seen myself as reliable

When I set the CPU interface to aggressive my performance increases. Since I don't seem to lose FSB/mem stability I pretty much assume my assumption is correct. I've told this to multiple people and so far no one has contradicted me.
Of course when you have to choose between "optimal" and "aggressive" naturally aggressive will be the OC feature.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 4th October, 2006, 08:02 PM

I've never tried anything else
Old 4th October, 2006, 08:26 PM

Flash Worked

Just got home from work and tried flashing again. I think i must of screwed up one the flags last time because this time it went off without a hitch. Also I used the BIOS file from the AOA Files archive. Should of saw that before I even posted

So this evening I'm going to go on another OC adventure and see how far I can max it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also anyone know of any volt mods out there to get a DIMM voltage higher that 2.9 on an 8RDA3+ Pro

Thanks,
The Godfather

Last edited by TheGodfather; 4th October, 2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 5th October, 2006, 08:12 PM

I haven't seen any voltmods for this board. You might want to ask Andy as he probably knows wheather an 8RDA3+ voltmod might be similar.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 9th October, 2006, 09:34 PM

Some issues

Well guys, I have come to some odd conclusions about my 8RDA3+ Pro.

I tried 2 different BIOS's by merlin. The first was the one you linked me to Wolf, which is the 17.01.05 version. That flashed fine and started fine. However 3DMark2001SE would crash, even on non-OC settings. I tried completely removing (with driver cleaner) and then reinstalling my video drivers, even going back to regular catalyst (I use Omega's) Nothing worked. However with a flash back to standard BIOS everything was fine. I then tried what I believe is a newer version the 19.01.06 that is listed in AOA files. That flashed fine, but MEMtest would freeze on any OC settings, even those stable with that standard BIOS. It would freeze only 5% into the first run of Test 5.

So right now I'm running the regular Epox BIOS and got all the way up to 200MHZ stable doing 11-4-4-2 with my PC3000 Kingston HyperX BH-5 1GB. I only have the voltage to 2.77. It seems anything over 200MHZ the RAM just won't do, so I might have some bad BH-5 or something. Its just strange that Merlin's BIOS would degrade the performance.

I don't think I ever listed my Rig stats so this might give you a better insight.

Aspire Gamer case, very well ventilated with 4 fans and a blowhole.
Thermaltake TruePower 480W Butterfly PSU
Barton 2800+ XP Unlocked
Thermaltake Volcano 12
Epox 8RDA3+ Pro
1GB Kingston HyperX PC3000 BH-5
2x WD Caviar 80GB in RAID 0
Sapphire 9600 PRO
Sound Blaster Audigy
LiteOn DVD-RW DL
LiteOn DVD-ROM

Oh btw SoaD! if you read this I'd really like to see how far you're getting O/Cing your board.

Thanks
Old 10th October, 2006, 02:42 PM

It's possible that your BH-5 memory doesn't like the specific alpha timings changed by Merlin. You're the first one I've seen using it on this board. You might need more voltage but then again you're better off using a regular bios if that's the case.

I do however remember some users experiencing crashes in 3dmark with this board and using merlins first mod. Oddly enough going to a higher FSB and memory (in synch) solved that problem.

The 2nd Merlin mod release has however been insufficiently tested but regarding to memory stability and performance it was okay.

BH-5, like UTT doesn't run CL2 very well below 3v vdimm btw. Try 2.5-3-3-11.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2